Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot create new folder on R7800 ReadyShare using Win 10 Explorer

Cannot create new folder on R7800 ReadyShare using Win 10 Explorer

For some reason I am unable to create a new folder with a unique name, or rename an existing file or folder on any ReadyShare network share using windows exporer.  I can copy existing files and folders from any of my PCs to the share, but if I try to create a new folder or rename an existing file or folder in explorer, i get an error message.  If I try to create a new folder with a unique name, say "Temp," I get the following error message:

Capture.JPG

If I hit cancel then a new folder appears on the share as "New Folder."  If I try to rename the "New Folder" to some other name, I get the same error message.

I I try to rename an existing folder on the share, say change "\\ReadyShare\USB_Storage\Backups" to "Old Backups," I get a similar error message: 

Capture 2.JPG

Like I said, I have no problems copying existing files from my PCs to a share using windows explorer or creating new files using other apps, e.g. Word, Excel, etc.  I can also delete existing files from the share using explorer. I have tried this with several different USB storage devices and I get the same behavior.  

For some reason it seems like the name changing process in explorer cannot find the file/folder that is being renamed.  I have been working around this issue by creating new folders on my PC and then dragging them to the share but this seems like a strange way to have to do it!

I am using an R7800 Nighthawk Router with the latest firmware V1.0.2.12.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 36

Accepted Solutions

Rif.: Cannot create new folder on R7800 ReadyShare using Win 10 Explorer

For all of you who have been waiting patiently (or otherwise), this problem has been resolved with the release of firmware V1.0.2.28!

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 36

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Re: Cannot create new folder on R7800 ReadyShare using Win 10 Explorer

Hi backroadrider,

1. Does it happen on all of your computers in the network?

2. What are the OS of your computers?

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 2 of 36

Yes.  I have 5 PCs and a laptop on our home network, all running Windows 10; and all exhibit exactly the same symptoms.  

I can copy and delete files or folders without a problem; and I can create, save and rename FILES from within an app (e.g., word, excel, powerpoint, etc.) and Windows Explorer, but cannot create a new FOLDER, or rename an existing FOLDER using windows explorer or the file-save dialogue window in an app. 

Basically, the strange behavior seems to be limited to just folders.  I have tried to create a new folder using the "create network folder" in the router's admin program but that doesn't work either (it can only create a share name for an existing folder).

Message 3 of 36
srt4lifez
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same exact symptoms on my R7800 with the same FW installed. Any updates / Fix for this?

Message 4 of 36
JamesGL
Master

Hi srt4lifez,

We are currently checking on this issue. We will provide a feedback as soon as we have any updates.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 5 of 36
dougski
Aspirant

I have the same problem with the same router and firmware.  Please fix and put out new firmware  because it is driving me crazy.

Message 6 of 36
dougski
Aspirant

There is a work around to the problem.  Map a drive to the readyshare drive.  Open a CMD window, use the "cd" to navigate to the directory where you want to create the new folder.  First issuue a cd command to get to the mapped drive.  Ex if you mapped the drive to Z: then type "cd z:" then use the cd command to move to the desired folder.  Ex cd "my music", use double quotes if the folder name contains spaces.  Use the "mkdir" command to create the folder. If the folder name contains spaces, enclose it in double quotes.   ex mkdir "My new directory".   I haven't tried it but the "rename" command should work as well to change the name of a folder.

Message 7 of 36

For what it's worth, I found a much simpler workaround: Simply open the mapped drive in windows explorer; then create a new folder on your desktop with whatever name you would like; next, simply drag the new folder onto the open explorer window.  Right clicking while dragging and then selecting "move" from the context window will save you the trouble of having to delete the folder from your desktop once you transfer it the usb share.

This is still a workaround for what should be a fully supported process on the share.  Hopefully Netgear will correct this in a future firmware update.

Message 8 of 36

And a couple more thoughts:

In order to use cd (chdir) to change to a new drive, you have to use the /D switch, e.g.: cd /D "Z:\"

Also, i tried the rename command and it does not work!  You get a "cannot find specified file" error message in the command window.  Go figure.

Pretty wierd behaviour!

Message 9 of 36

And one final thought:

You can use the md command to make a new folder on the mapped usb share without changing the default directory.  Simply include the full path to the folder you want to create, e.g.: C:\users\yourname>md Z:\"New Folder Name"

Hard to believe that we used to have to use these commands all of the time!!

Message 10 of 36
blacam00
Initiate

Any updates on this from the netgear team?

I have a WD 2tb portable drive connect to the usb 1 and have the same issues as the original poster.

Can you please address this?

Message 11 of 36
JamesGL
Master

Hi blacam00,  

We are still working on this. We will update you as soon as resolution is available.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 12 of 36
MikeManinger
Aspirant

I have the same setup and I am having the same problem. I just updated the firm ware thinking I could fix the issue but no luck.

Message 13 of 36
ZUnderwood
Guide

It certainly looks like it's not just me having this problem. Thanks in advance to the Netgear technical folks for looking into this. As stated above, it is a real annoyance.
Message 14 of 36
slukas66
Aspirant

Same issue on multiple PCs.  I can create a folder locally and move it to the ReadyShare but can not create a new folder and rename it.  

Message 15 of 36
n8wdavis
Aspirant

JamesGL - Any updates on this? I'm experiencing the same issue. Windows 10 Pro. R7800. Western Digital My Book. Not able to name/re-name folders. Thanks,

Message 16 of 36
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Still working for the resolution. Updates will be provided as soon as fix is available.

Message 17 of 36
hsesso
Aspirant

JamesGL: Any resolution to this issue yet?  Have the R7800 router, Win10 devices.  The inability to create new folders in ReadyShare is very, very disappointing.  Takes away considerable intended functionality of network connectivity.  While the workarounds technically work, they are for backup purposes, rather than the maintenance of a true network drive.  Thanks!

Message 18 of 36
TipTopNet
Aspirant

I have the same problem and I just bought my router.

I am quite disappointed and I'll definitively let a bad review.

First I had to reture the first one: the setup did not even start!

Then now, I am facing the rename folder issue. 

At the price of a Nightawk R7800 ... this is very poor customer attention or poor engineering... make you pick.

It's been months since this has been reported.

Message 19 of 36
dougski
Aspirant

Everyone with this router will have this problem. I don't think anyone at Netgear monitors any of these community forums. Please open a support ticket within 90 days of purchase of the router to get the free support and let them know about it.  I did but they didn't solve the problem, they didn't even bother to try to reproduce it it.   We need more people reporting it to get them to really look into it.  I think I will go back to Amazon and put in a crappy review for the crappy support.

Message 20 of 36
ZUnderwood
Guide

I just reported this to Netgear Support.  I thought by posting it to the Community that it would be brought to Netgear's attention, but it is now an official issue.   Thanks for the head's up.

Message 21 of 36
ZUnderwood
Guide

One last note on this.  I've used many routers over the years and have grown frustrated with problems that always seem to surface.  I'm reasonably new the the Netgear line and thus far this folder naming problem is the first problem I've encountered.  That said, I have to tell you that I'm extremely impressed with the X4S unit and wouldn't trade it in for any other product on the market.  While this issue is a big irritation, it's not a show stopper by any means.  Creating a new folder on my desktop and dragging it to the router is a stop-gap until Netgear can permanently fix this issue.  My reporting this issue will be my first foray with Netgear Support, and hopefully it'll be as good as the router itself.  Finger's crossed!!!!  I'll keep everyone posted.

Message 22 of 36
ZUnderwood
Guide

Hi, everyone. Just wanted to let everyone know that Netgear successfully reproduced this issue and had me test out a beta patch - which worked perfectly.  Kudos to them for the quick turnaround.

I'm not sure when the patch will be formally pushed out to their users, but I can attest that they are aware of the fix and that they mentioned that it would be showing in an upcoming release.

Message 23 of 36
EZRider99
Aspirant

I hope your information is correct.  I bought this router specifically to use the 2 USB 3.0 ports for backups with readyshare. I am using the current firmware and try an update everyday to see if there is a new version that fixes this issue.  Thank you for your input.

Message 24 of 36
ZUnderwood
Guide

You're welcome. And it does work properly with the Seagate Backup 2tb drive I have connect to my X4S.
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7