Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot print after connecting Nighthawk R7000 to HP 6940 via ethernet only

media601
Aspirant

Cannot print after connecting Nighthawk R7000 to HP 6940 via ethernet only

I set up a new R7000 two days ago and automatically applied latest firmware. I cannot print to my HP 6940 Deskjet anymore. The printer is ethernet only--no WIFI. The printer displays in the attached devices list in the r7000 lan config. I can log into the printer and adjust settings. I tried setting a static IP on the printer (through the configuration menu) and reserved that IP on the R7000. Everything looks fine but it simply will not print. Windows Device manager shows the printer but with a warning icon. I removed the printer from Device manager and allowed the HP driver to automatically re-install. I rebooted computer, printer, R7000 several times. Nada. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
media601
Aspirant

Solved: Cannot print after connecting Nighthawk R7000 to HP 6940 via ethernet only

Thank you for the replies. Netgear email support led me to discover the printer port was still pointing to the old IP. I was not able to change the config, but was able "add a new printer". I selected the same printer and selected "do not use existing driver". That worked and printer port is now pointing to correct IP. Thanks to Vidhya (Expert ID: 1610).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Re: Cannot print after connecting Nighthawk R7000 to HP 6940 via ethernet only

HP has a troubleshooter possibly for the printer. I don't have that model, but the 2 (wireless connected vs. USB) I have it under Utilities for the Printer. One has NETWORK DIAGNOSTICS that should help you, the other has HP PRINT AND SCAN DOCTOR. Search the printer application on the PC or the HP web site.

If you are on W10, I've found that sometimes we need to run these or even worse, re-install the printer driver. Occasionally all we need do it turn the printer off and on again, but these do not occur too often.

Message 2 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

Re: Cannot print after connecting Nighthawk R7000 to HP 6940 via ethernet only

Can you ping the printer? Can you see the printer in control panel >> devices and printers?

Message 3 of 5
media601
Aspirant

Solved: Cannot print after connecting Nighthawk R7000 to HP 6940 via ethernet only

Thank you for the replies. Netgear email support led me to discover the printer port was still pointing to the old IP. I was not able to change the config, but was able "add a new printer". I selected the same printer and selected "do not use existing driver". That worked and printer port is now pointing to correct IP. Thanks to Vidhya (Expert ID: 1610).

Message 4 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

Re: Solved: Cannot print after connecting Nighthawk R7000 to HP 6940 via ethernet only

Good for you. Now you can assign that ip address to the printer for good from router. That way you always know where the printer is.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7