Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot turn on Circle

mckmck
Aspirant

Cannot turn on Circle

I have not been able to turn on Circle for my router.  If I login via the Nighthawk app, there is no parental controls option.  If I login via the computer, the Parental Controls option is grayed out.  I was able to get to the Parental Controls option manually by typing in "http://www.routerlogin.net/Parental_controls.htm".  When I do, I can turn on the built in parental controls, but anytime I try to turn on the Circle, it just says "Please check the connections to the Internet WAN port and cable/DSL modem.".  I've tried rebooting & the firmware is up to date.  I can't figure out what else to try.  Hoping someone else has an idea.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mckmck
Aspirant

Eventaully, with enough poking around, I found the solution.  Somehow the AP mode had been turned on and once I turned it back to router mode, I was able to enable Circle again.

Also, the Nighthawk app may not "support" parental controls exactly, but it does have the option to enable/disable Circle under settings > parental controls via the app.  Once I corrected the AP setting, I could see the Parental Controls settings in the app again. 

No one replied in the Circle section but I will post this solution there in case it helps someone else. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

Have you tried this issue in the section given over to Circle?

Circle Smart Parental Controls - NETGEAR Communities

@mckmck wrote:

If I login via the Nighthawk app, there is no parental controls option.  If I login via the computer, the Parental Controls option is grayed out. 

Circle and parental controls are two different things.

The Netgear app genie for mobile devices does not work with the R7000. It now uses the Nighthawk app.

Which products support the NETGEAR Nighthawk app? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Circle depends on having the right firmware on your router.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

It will also have any firmware for your device.

Message 2 of 5
mckmck
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, I will try in the Circle section as well.

I understand that Circle and the basic parental controls are different. The only reason I mentioned it is that’s the screen where they are enabled let’s me turn the basic controls on/off just fine. But it will not let me turn on the Circle.

I am and have been using the Nighthawk app. According to all the documentation I can find, I should be able to turn on Circle there as well but I am not even getting the option described in the documents.

I have firmware version 1.0.11.100_10.2.100.
Message 3 of 5

@mckmck wrote:

I am and have been using the Nighthawk app. According to all the documentation I can find, I should be able to turn on Circle there as well but I am not even getting the option described in the documents.

The Nighthawk app does not support Parental Controls. Never has. The loss of this when the Netgear mobile app died caused many complaints.

There is a separate app for Circle:

Circle | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Circle and Parental Controls are so different that there is little point in trying any comparisons between them.

The best way into Parental Controls is probably through OpenDNS

https://netgear.opendns.com/sign_in.php

This works on any device.

As I said, questions about Circle belong in the appropriate section.

Message 4 of 5
mckmck
Aspirant

Eventaully, with enough poking around, I found the solution.  Somehow the AP mode had been turned on and once I turned it back to router mode, I was able to enable Circle again.

Also, the Nighthawk app may not "support" parental controls exactly, but it does have the option to enable/disable Circle under settings > parental controls via the app.  Once I corrected the AP setting, I could see the Parental Controls settings in the app again. 

No one replied in the Circle section but I will post this solution there in case it helps someone else. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series