Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Compatibility of Android Genie

ejbpesca
Aspirant

Compatibility of Android Genie

My code on the bottom of my wifi/modem will not be accepted by the latest version of the Android Genie app I understand will no longer load to my laptop and is not available.  The old Genie worked fine until I wiped clean my laptop then found that old version is not supported or available for download.  So...I take it the reason my admin code is not working is because the new version I have will not accept it being that it is an older model C3700?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ejbpesca
Aspirant

List said a 

• SanDisk Ultra 16GB USB3.0  is compatible.  My C drive has 130 GB of data.  I guess the Ready Share mirrors this C drive by backing up every update, new file, app, etc. so I would go for a SanDisk at least 256GB yet such a small 16GB is said compatible.  Maybe that is for a setting in the backup system to backup say one folder, not the whole system.  I am going to guess that Sandisk products are okay to use at sizes at least up to 1 TB.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies

@ejbpesca wrote:

My code on the bottom of my wifi/modem will not be accepted by the latest version of the Android Genie app

What code is that? Wifi password? SSID? Admin password?

Are you talking about the NETGEAR genie app? It should still work.

Which NETGEAR home router models can I manage using the NETGEAR genie app? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

What does "will not be accepted" mean? What happens when you try it. You get some sort of error message?

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 10
ejbpesca
Aspirant

I am referring to the admin password.  In an attempt to log into Genie I get the message the password is incorrect.

I disconnected the device from my router/modem.  Now after plugging it back in it does not appear on my old version of Genie.  I have a Netgear router/modem...all working fine.  I added a Netgear wifi (AC2350) but cannot log into anything with any of my passcodes for it.  I get the "wrong password" message.

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 3 of 10

I'm afraid, I am still confused about what is going on at your end.

Take this bit:

@ejbpesca wrote:

In an attempt to log into Genie I get the message the password is incorrect.

You refer to the genie. This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

You mention the laptop, so my guess is that you mean the desktop genie for Windows. There has been no significant change there that would cause the genie not to get at your router. Which version of the genie do you have? The latest is 2.4.62

If you are using a wifi device to access the controls for your R7500v2, you need to connect first to the wifi network.

Only then can you begin to attack the controls.

Next there is this bit:

@ejbpesca wrote:

I disconnected the device from my router/modem.  Now after plugging it back in it does not appear on my old version of Genie.  I have a Netgear router/modem...all working fine.  I added a Netgear wifi (AC2350) but cannot log into anything with any of my passcodes for it.  I get the "wrong password" message.

What is this "device"? Your laptop.

I am also confused by the sudden appearance of the R7500v2. That is a router. You started the conversation about the C3700. You didn't mention the R7500v2 in the first message.

Then there is the reference to an AC2350. AC2350 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

So, if you have added the R7500v2 to the C3700 you seem to have added a router to a modem/router. That is the road to chaos and could well explain why you cannot login to the controls. Your network is confused as to which device you want to get at, the modem/router or the router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

We don't know why you installed a second router on your network, if that is what you did. So we can't tell you how to mend your  setup.

You have two easy choices: put the C3700 into modem only (bridge) mode; use the R7500v2 as a wireless access point.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model numbers and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Change the Router Mode on the C3700 or, for the R7500v2, Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point.

Message 4 of 10
ejbpesca
Aspirant

The device I mentioned is a AC2350 Netgear Router.  I am trying to add it to my C3700 modem/router and doing this as an access point is just fine..no separate LAN needed.

With it the AC2350 connected I cannot access any form of controls yet my cell phone Nighhawk app does recognize the AC2350 is present and running, but will not allow me to sign in for adjustments.  None of my passcodes work to sign it on that app, nor the cell phone Genie app, nor routerlogin.net.  I just downloaded an old version of Genie so I can access the C3700 router/modem (found it on CNET) and entered it by admin and passcode so yes I have control over the C3700 but that Genie version's map does not show the AC2350.  C3700 there, laptop there, Firestick there, phone is there...no AC2350 yet the AC2350 is dectected by the Nighthawk app I put on my Android phone.

I have a special admin code for the AC2350.  I have the network key.  I have registration with Netgear for my C3700 but my registration for the AC2350 is another name and password from the previous owner of the AC2350, but they are not working.

I may not have to adjust anything on the AC2350.  I simply need to connect it via ethernet cable to my C3700 to hopefully have faster, more powerful wifi in my LAN.  I don't expect it to raise the Mbps on a speed test.  That is a signal coming via a coax cable into the C3700. Just add it as an access point..that's all.  I will run through installation again but it would be nice to be able to control it with an app if I do get it running.  I am thinking maybe since my IP address is not the same as where the AC2350 was first registered and connected, nothing will allow me to sign in to anything.

Message 5 of 10

@ejbpesca wrote:

The device I mentioned is a AC2350 Netgear Router. 

There is no such thing. Netgear makes several "AC2350" routers. The R7500v2 is one of them. So, it seems, is the R6220.

@ejbpesca wrote:

With it the AC2350 connected I cannot access any form of controls yet my cell phone Nighhawk app does recognize the AC2350 is present and running, but will not allow me to sign in for adjustments. 

This is almost certainly because you have a modem/router in front of the second router.

@ejbpesca wrote:

I just downloaded an old version of Genie so I can access the C3700 router/modem (found it on CNET) and entered it by admin and passcode so yes I have control over the C3700 but that Genie version's map does not show the AC2350. 

You would do better to get the official version. The latest sighting was here:

genie Landing Page | Apps | Discover | Home | NETGEAR

Get it while you can.

In general, managing your network is best done with a wired connection and using the browser graphical user interface (GUI). But that will only work if you have it use it properly. As it is, you will not have much luck until you fix the basic problem of having two routers on the network. Everything else you are doing is simply staggering around in the dark.

@ejbpesca wrote:
...but that Genie version's map does not show the AC2350.  C3700 there, laptop there, Firestick there, phone is there...no AC2350 yet the AC2350 is dectected by the Nighthawk app I put on my Android phone.

That is almost certainly because you have a modem/router in front of the second router.

@ejbpesca wrote:

I may not have to adjust anything on the AC2350. 

That is almost certainly because you have a modem/router in front of the second router.

@ejbpesca wrote:

I simply need to connect it via ethernet cable to my C3700 to hopefully have faster, more powerful wifi in my LAN. 

This will not fix your problems because you have a modem/router in front of the second router.

I explained how to fix your problems earlier. To use the second router as an access point wired to the modem/router, read the instructions in the manual.

@ejbpesca wrote:

I will run through installation again but it would be nice to be able to control it with an app if I do get it running. 

This will not fix your problems because you have a modem/router in front of the second router.

@ejbpesca wrote:

I am thinking maybe since my IP address is not the same as where the AC2350 was first registered and connected, nothing will allow me to sign in to anything.

This is almost certainly because you have a modem/router in front of the second router. It has nothing to do with any earlier registration. You can wipe out any old settings by following these instructions:

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Please read this again:

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You might also want to read this is you have not done so already:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 10
antinode
Guru

> My code on the bottom of my wifi/modem [...]

> [...] my admin code [...]

What does Netgear call this "My code" and this "my admin code"?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"Types of logins".  Further reading might not hurt, either.

> [...] the Android Genie app [...]

I'd use a web browser, rather than any Netegar-supplied app.

> Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi

Is that accurate? "R7500v2" is a model number; "AC2350" is not.

> With it the AC2350 connected I cannot access any form of controls
> [...]

"cannot" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] my cell phone Nighhawk app does recognize the AC2350 is present
> and running, but will not allow me to sign in for adjustments. None of
> my passcodes work to sign it on that app, [...]

Regarding "will not allow me", see "not a useful problem description
[...]", above.

I'd use a web browser, rather than any Netegar-supplied app.

The non-psychics in your audience might not know which of your "my
passcodes" you tried, or whether any of them might be appropriate.  (See
"Types of logins", above.)

Setting both the C3700 and the R7500v2 to use the same "admin"
password might reduce confusion.

> [...] I am thinking maybe since my IP address is not the same as where
> the AC2350 was first registered and connected, nothing will allow me to
> sign in to anything.

When configured as a wireless access point, the R7500v2 would get a
new/different LAN IP address.  I don't know if any of the Netgear apps
can deal with that situation.  I'd use a web browser, rather than any
Netegar-supplied app.

By default ("Get dynamically from existing router"), the
R7500v2-as-WAP will get that new address from (the DHCP server in) your
main router (C3700).  Hence, an "Attached Devices" report from your main
router should tell you what the new address of your R7500v2-as-WAP is.
Pointing your web browser at that IP address should get you to the
R7500v2-as-WAP management web site, whether or not any Netegar-supplied
app can deal with it.  And the usual LAN IP address of the main router
("192.168.0.1"?) should (still) get you to its management web site.

"routerlogin" names might still work, but the results might depend on
where the computer/device is connected.  Using the IP address(es) would
be more reliable.

> This is almost certainly because you have a modem/router in front of
> the second router.

That is largely drivel (and, as a mantra, unhelpful).  At least one
of us noticed that you agreed to "doing this as an access point" a while
ago, which would eliminate any double-NAT problems.

Message 7 of 10
ejbpesca
Aspirant

Up and running with R7500 as primary connection to wifi from laptop.  Now to find out what size of a USB Flash drive in GB's is required to use ReadyShare Vault.  I will not be using a hard drive as Netgear calls it at times as if a USB connected powered hard drive is the only thing that can be used.  Reading on I see a USB flash drive may be used.  I am not sure if the ReadyShare Vault is an entire mirror of my laptop or just my files.  I can easily find how many gigs I have on my C drive and try to find a flash thumb drive with that much storage if those are available, otherwise it would have to be another hard drive connected to the R7500 via USB to handle the amount of data to be backed up.  I searched for quite a while and nothing giving advice on size of a USB flash or hard drive.  I will only do flash if available.

Message 8 of 10

@ejbpesca wrote:

I searched for quite a while and nothing giving advice on size of a USB flash or hard drive. 

You can get an idea of what you can use from this page:

Will my USB drive work with ReadySHARE | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The biggest drive that you can reliably use is around 4 TB.

For serious networking use Ethernet.

Message 9 of 10
ejbpesca
Aspirant

List said a 

• SanDisk Ultra 16GB USB3.0  is compatible.  My C drive has 130 GB of data.  I guess the Ready Share mirrors this C drive by backing up every update, new file, app, etc. so I would go for a SanDisk at least 256GB yet such a small 16GB is said compatible.  Maybe that is for a setting in the backup system to backup say one folder, not the whole system.  I am going to guess that Sandisk products are okay to use at sizes at least up to 1 TB.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7