Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting tmobile home internet Model KVD21 via wifi to R6700V2

Tommyteal
Aspirant

Connecting tmobile home internet Model KVD21 via wifi to R6700V2

I purchased a home that they left behind a tv that was connected to a Netgear R6700V2 (via wire), and that router also connected to a wire running outside to a dish (I believe).  No intention to use the dish. 

I would like to see if the router can be still connected  to the TV (via the wire) but pick up the wifi signal from my from my TMobile internet receiver.

Obviously I have about zero tech jargon knowledge.

Reading the online owners manual says:  To connect a device manually to the WiFi network of the router:
1. Make sure that the router is receiving power (its Power LED is lit).
2. On the WiFi device that you want to connect to your router, open the software
application that manages your WiFi connections.
This software scans for all WiFi networks in your area.
3. Look for the router’s network and select it.

Using my tmobile internet app, under devices it shows my other home connections, but not the Netgear.

Can this router be used to connect my TMobile to the TV?

How?

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connecting tmobile home internet Model KVD21 via wifi to R6700V2

Something to ask T-Mobile about regarding there product.

Message 2 of 5

@Tommyteal wrote:

I would like to see if the router can be still connected  to the TV (via the wire) but pick up the wifi signal from my from my TMobile internet receiver.

If the router can connect to the Internet, then the TV should also be able to connect.

The challenge could be to get the R6700V2 to work with whatever you are using to connect to the Internet.

The " tmobile home internet Model KVD21" looks like it is a "gateway", a modem/router that connects you to T-Mobile Internet and can also serve wired and wifi devices on your local network. So you don't really need to use the R6700V2 to connect the TV. You can just plug the TV into the KVD21.

If you do need the R6700V2 for some reason, then it might be best put in to "wireless access point" mode, plugged into the  KVD21. That, or turn off the router bit if the KVD21. But the R6700V2 dates back to 2017, based on the original from 2014. Probably less capable than the newer device.

Message 3 of 5
Tommyteal
Aspirant

The " tmobile home internet Model KVD21" looks like it is a "gateway", a modem/router that connects you to T-Mobile Internet and can also serve wired and wifi devices on your local network.

100% true.

So you don't really need to use the R6700V2 to connect the TV. You can just plug the TV into the KVD21.

I didn't spell out before that they are in different rooms and running a wire is not feasible at this time, unfortunately.

If you do need the R6700V2 for some reason, then it might be best put in to "wireless access point" mode, plugged into the KVD21. That, or turn off the router bit if the KVD21. But the R6700V2 dates back to 2017, based on the original from 2014. Probably less capable than the newer device.

Unfortunately the TV is not wireless capable (an older Samsung plasma TV TC-P42S30). 

I was hoping to use the R67 as a receiver to KVD's wireless signal and access Youtube, etc, like my other modern Samsung TV, that does it directly to the TMobile machine.  As you can see, I don't know much about these systems.

Thank you greatly for your input.

Message 4 of 5

@Tommyteal wrote:

Unfortunately the TV is not wireless capable (an older Samsung plasma TV TC-P42S30). 

I was hoping to use the R67 as a receiver to KVD's wireless signal and access Youtube, etc, like my other modern Samsung TV, that does it directly to the TMobile machine.  As you can see, I don't know much about these systems.

Some routers can operate in "wireless bridge" mode. The manual suggests that the R6700V2 is one of those.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual Set Up a WiFi Bridge Between the Router and Another Device

This may not be the easiest thing to set up.

An alternative option would be to use Powerline Ethernet in AP mode – to your main router. Or just plug the TV into the main router over Powerline.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7