Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connection ssues.

Ken39
Guide

Connection ssues.

Hi. I am trying to set up my R6260 to my Hub3. Iplace the Hub3 into modem modem & then connect my ethernet cable to Hub3 & new router but when i do this I lose signal on the Hub3. The red light on the hub comes on & stays on. Any ideas where I am going wrong please?

Model: R6260|AC1600 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Connection ssues.

ISP supplied devices aren't the easiest to put in modem only mode. And even if you get them into passthrough/modem only mode, some are poorly coded and don't function properly. 

what you can try? (only use 1)

1. Leave the hub3 in router mode. Put the netgear's ip address into the hub's DMZ

2. Leave the hub3 in router mode, put the netgear into access point mode. 

You have the option of disabling/enabling wifi on the hub 3 if you'd prefer. If you leave it enabled, make sure its wireless is on a different channel from the netgear to prevent interference

Message 2 of 10
Ken39
Guide

Hi. I switch the Hub to modem mode and then it resets. As soon as I attach the Ethernet cable the hub goes to red so I do not get any chance to change anything.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Thats why I'm saying don't put the hub in modem only mode. leave it in router mode. 

ISP supplied devices aren't always the best running or even updated. 

Message 4 of 10
Ken39
Guide

Sorry Im just a silver surfer with very lttle techie experience. So do I attach Ethernet whilst in Router mode and go from there. Wouldnt the hub overide any connections? 

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

so have the hub all setup in router mode. 

then attach the netgear to it.

at that point you can either put the netgears IP address into the Hubs dmz or put the netgear in access point mode. 

Message 6 of 10
Ken39
Guide

OK will give it a try. Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
Ken39
Guide

Going back to your earlier advice I remembered something. I had already saved a page from another web site that said DO NOT connect in modem mode as this may break your hub. As you can see this is the opposite to your advice. What is your opinion on this please.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

@Ken39 wrote:

Going back to your earlier advice I remembered something. I had already saved a page from another web site that said DO NOT connect in modem mode as this may break your hub. As you can see this is the opposite to your advice. What is your opinion on this please.

That is literally what I said the entire time. Leave it in router mode. If you disable router mode it puts it in modem only/passthrough mode. 

I've been saying the entire time, leave the router functions enabled on the Hub and put the netgear either in access point mode or put the netgears IP address into the hubs DMZ. 

Message 9 of 10
Ken39
Guide

OK. Will let you know tomorrow how I get on. Cheers.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7