Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DD-WRT necessary for VPN clients?

dreidmiller
Aspirant

DD-WRT necessary for VPN clients?

Is DD-WRT, or Tomato, really necessary for using VPN clients, e.g., SurfShark, Nord, et al? Is the VPN option on the R7000P not truly a VPN but just a pimped up access control? I ask these questions because my interent provider, Spectrum, is constantly dropping my 400Mbps connection throughout the day, every day, at different times and it has become intolerable. I should add, at this point, that the node at the pole, the drop coming into my home and the wiring are all good, no corrosion, etc. I am using a Netgear CM-1100 modem with my R7000P router and my connection speeds are: wired, 400+Mbps and WiFi, 170+Mbps. I would be deliriously happy if it wasn't for the aggravation of the constant connection drops.

I found a post on another site, wherein the poster said that he experienced the same connection drops from Spectrum as they routinely do such, although, if customers are paying for their service why they would do so is beyond me. He said that by using a VPN he no longer gets any drops in his connection. 

So, is the vanilla VPN, Dynamic DNS and aswer, or must I risk "bricking" my router to install DD-WRT in order to use a VPN client, at an additonal fee, in order to prevent the droppages?

Much TIA.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: DD-WRT necessary for VPN clients?

Something to ask the people over on the DD-WRT forums about regarding there FW. 

Stock FW should not experience any drops. IF it does, then you need to troubleshoot the real causes. 

Connect a wired PC to the CM modem and see if the connections and services are stable. 

Be sure your using good quality LAN cables between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. Be sure LAG is disabled on the modem. Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.

With the router online, disable the wifi radios on the router and with wired devices see if the connection is stable or continues to drop. 

If it doesn't drop at this point, turn ON the wifi radios, Id start wtih 5Ghz only and test. Then try 2.4Ghz. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 10
dreidmiller
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply,

I have connected directly to the modem but since the drops are so random throughout the day/evening it really doesn't tell me much. Also, I am using brand new cat8 for my single wired connection to my router, all other connections are WiFi and the speeds are not at issue. Signal and line quality check via Spectrum online and tech checking node, etc.  

Although Spectrum won't say, I think they are causing the random disconnects. I enabled Netgear's VPN and DDNS. I will see how this affects loss of connection, if at all.

Message 3 of 10

@dreidmiller wrote:

Is DD-WRT, or Tomato, really necessary for using VPN clients, e.g., SurfShark, Nord, et al?

There are too many VPNs out there for the average punter to keep up with them. Even Netgear's own techies probably don't know the full picture.

My inclination would be to ask the VPN makers how to set something up. They know all the configuration tweaks that work best with their systems.

Some VPNs require their own firmware, and Netgear certainly won't know much about that. It even has a hard time keeping up with its own firmware.

Message 4 of 10
dreidmiller
Aspirant

Thank you. That's a reasonable answer. I will contact the various VPN for assistance.

I am boggled by a company that produces quality products, arguably the best on the market
, that won't enerically accommodate VPN other than OpenVPN which is very pricey if one has more than 2 connections; I have 1 wired and 20 wireless , paying their fee is untenable.
Message 5 of 10

@dreidmiller wrote:

I am boggled by a company that produces quality products, arguably the best on the market
, that won't enerically accommodate VPN other than OpenVPN which is very pricey if one has more than 2 connections; I have 1 wired and 20 wireless , paying their fee is untenable.

Netgear does seem to be missing a trick, although its own grasp of its official firmware, which seems to be contracted out, may offer a few clues.

It is especially puzzling now that Netgear seems to be going out of its way to sell subscriptions to things like Armor and Circle. You would have thought that a VPN might be in there too.

Another option would be for Netgear to emulate its deal with DumaOS, which writes custom firmware for gaming routers.  Hardware tied to firmware tailored to a particular VPN, at a price, might also work. But I can see the punters screaming about that. They always expect something for nothing.

Message 6 of 10
dreidmiller
Aspirant

I totally agree with you. I may start looking into routers that come with DD-WRT installed. I hate leaving Netgear, as they are, and have been, my first choice.

Message 7 of 10

@dreidmiller wrote:

I totally agree with you. I may start looking into routers that come with DD-WRT installed. I hate leaving Netgear, as they are, and have been, my first choice.

You might do better to find a router with the VPN of your choice installed.

Not all VPNs are made equal.

Message 8 of 10
dreidmiller
Aspirant

So I've seen. I am not strictly basing my decision based on price, but I have to believe a reasonable, functional VPN exists. I shall continue my research into them.

Message 9 of 10

@dreidmiller wrote:

....I have to believe a reasonable, functional VPN exists. I shall continue my research into them.

Let us know when you find it!

I keep getting very confusing offers from all over the place.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7