Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP Issues with RX7000 and Nighthawk R8500

ChrisAJ
Aspirant

DHCP Issues with RX7000 and Nighthawk R8500

Recently bought the Nighthawk R8500 and RX7000.   I use the R8500 as a DHCP server by default.   The RX7000 I use as an Extender for Wireless coverage.   Technically speaking however, it's really there to provide access to several servers which do not have a direct line access to the router.   So in essence its a bridge for the purpose I am using.    I setup the DHCP server such that the individual servers MAC addresses are assigned a specific IP address.   So the router does not round robin select a new IP address everytime a device comes online.   Devices which are not assigned IP addresses work OK.  So I don't care about those.   However, anything on the Extender side which is supposed to have an assigned IP address by the router no longer gets the assigned address I provided.   It seems as if the RX7000 does not properly relay the MAC address of specific devices so that the router can find the MAC address in it's table of assigned addresses.  

Anyone have suggestions!

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: DHCP Issues with RX7000 and Nighthawk R8500

Virtual MAC address are assigned to devices when connected to an extender, which could mess up your ip assignment. Id it's any comfort, the extender should remember your devices MAC address and assign the same virtual mac address to your device. Try reserving an address against a virtual mac address.

What is the RX7000? Couldn't find that anywhere.. 

here's a link that discusses this subject: It's a different device, but the concept is the same: https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Repeaters/virtual-MAC-addresses/td-p/494762

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Virtual MAC address are assigned to devices when connected to an extender, which could mess up your ip assignment. Id it's any comfort, the extender should remember your devices MAC address and assign the same virtual mac address to your device. Try reserving an address against a virtual mac address.

What is the RX7000? Couldn't find that anywhere.. 

here's a link that discusses this subject: It's a different device, but the concept is the same: https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Repeaters/virtual-MAC-addresses/td-p/494762

Message 2 of 5
ChrisAJ
Aspirant

Thanks!   I will try that.   I appreciate the response.

Actually I guess I listed that incorrectly.   It's EX7000-100NAS, aka the Netgear Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender.   That's how it was listed on Amazon.   It's surprisingly fast.   So hopefully, I can use the suggestion to make it the bridge in my network.

Message 3 of 5
netwrks
Master

The EX7000. I used one for a while in AP mode.  (ethernet connected to base router). I agree pretty quick, however, I was disappointed in the GUI presentation, and the lack of configurable options, NG continues to (not)provide to the customer. I use 2 R7000's as AP's.

Message 4 of 5
ChrisAJ
Aspirant

I agree!   GUI really doesn't allow for much configurable options as I would like.   But in a pinch, it works.   Thanks for the suggestions.  

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7