Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS Errors

Minka
Aspirant

DNS Errors

I am getting super frustrated.  My home has several Nest products, and other smart home gadgets.  We cannot connect to the internet due to a DNS_PROBE error we keep getting.  I have reset the router and modem several times each.  Intetnet stays around for 10 minutes, then can no longer connect.  Whenever I try to connect to a page it says "resolving host", then waits errors.

I have tried flushing the DNS, adding OpenDNS servers 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4, changing wireless names/passwords/etc, and rebooting the router to factory settings.  When I troubleshoot through Genie the script says the wirelss adapter is off, turns it on, then says its going to reboot the router, but nothing happends on the router.  I have to manually reboot, which makes me think it's an issue with the router, not the modem (all modem lights are on solid).

Router: R8000, AC3160

Can someone please help!?

Router Error

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi Minka,

Can you connect your computer directly to the modem and check if the connection is stable. If yes, connect the router again and the computer to the router then access the UI. Go to Internet settings then select use computer MAC Address under MAC address then click apply.

JamesGL

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Minka
Aspirant

Re: DNS Errorsr8000

Sorry for the typos/etc, I'm on my phone since I don't have WiFi...:(

Message 2 of 7
Minka
Aspirant

One other DNS message I get is a bad_config error. I'll get the full name when it happens again. 

I should also add that this system has worked flawlessly for 8+ months, but the last few days has been sketchy. 

Message 3 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Minka,

Can you connect your computer directly to the modem and check if the connection is stable. If yes, connect the router again and the computer to the router then access the UI. Go to Internet settings then select use computer MAC Address under MAC address then click apply.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 4 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Minka,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 5 of 7
Minka
Aspirant

It did work to connect t directly through modem, so it was the router being an issue.
I ended up doing a full factory reset on it and that seemed to do the trick.
Can someone explain how the DNS can be bad? I'm a little confused on why the router would have this issue, send like a simple thing it shouldn't be struggling with! 🙂
Message 6 of 7
JamesGL
Master

Hi Minka,

The only explanation I can think of is that the connection from the modem refreshed which the router's settings did communicate with the modem. After you refresh or reset the router of factory default it works.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7