Tutor

Discrepancy Upgrading Nighthawk R7500 firmware

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
MyProblem
Tutor

Re: Discrepancy Upgrading Nighthawk R7500 firmware

Thanks!  By the time I read this reply, I had already updated to the new version by downloading directly from the site.

Seems to me that it is unintentionally deceptive to have Genie return that the version is up to date, when that may not be completely accurate.  Especially since everyone is at a heightened state with respect to on-line security.  Genie could be giving Netgear customers a false sense of security. 

Netgear should be taking the time to make sure Genie router firmware update check matches the true current firmware version in downloads.  My recommendation would be to always check the download site verses trusting Genie.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
MyProblem
Tutor

I was checking to see if a new router firmware version was available.

Signed in directley to the router and using Genie went to the firmware update area and checked for update.  Response was that it was up to date.  Genie shows that the firmware version is V1.0.0.124.

Went to Netgear Downloads for the R7500 and it shows that V1.0.0.130 is the curren version.

Genie does not seem to be recognizing that V1.0.0.130 is the current version and will not update to the current version.

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Netgear usually puts the most recent firmware on their website and then uploads it to their ftp server that the routers check. There can be several days to week/s difference. If you want the most up to date firmware you can manually update it. or you can be patient and wait until its uploaded to the server your router checks. 

If you want to manually update:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R7500.aspx

has the firmware. Just make sure you select the correct version as there are 2 versions of this router and both require different firmware. The instructions are in the release notes on how to manually update. 

Message 3 of 4
MyProblem
Tutor

Thanks!  By the time I read this reply, I had already updated to the new version by downloading directly from the site.

Seems to me that it is unintentionally deceptive to have Genie return that the version is up to date, when that may not be completely accurate.  Especially since everyone is at a heightened state with respect to on-line security.  Genie could be giving Netgear customers a false sense of security. 

Netgear should be taking the time to make sure Genie router firmware update check matches the true current firmware version in downloads.  My recommendation would be to always check the download site verses trusting Genie.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7