Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does the R7000 have the Quantenna 5GHz battery drain issue or has it been fixed?

Markyboy
Aspirant

Does the R7000 have the Quantenna 5GHz battery drain issue or has it been fixed?

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my WiFi router and I'm considering the R7000, but don't want to buy a router that drains my phone battery when it's connected to the 5 GHz channel and can't see any point in upgrading if I end up having to stick to the 2.4 GHz I already have.

I've experienced the issue recently, when connected to TalkTalks new router (from Huawai) and got fed up of waking up to a dead phone every morning.

I've done a bit of googling and found that the Quantenna drivers lacked support for powersaving negotaition at 5 GHz so has this been fixed. So far I've only found a reference to the R7500 having this problem. So does anybody know if the firmware has been updated to fix the powersaving?

Thanks 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
microchip8
Master

Re: Does the R7000 have the Quantenna 5GHz battery drain issue or has it been fixed?

The R7000 is completely Broadcom-based and doesn't use Quantenna chips at all.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Re: Does the R7000 have the Quantenna 5GHz battery drain issue or has it been fixed?

The R7000 is completely Broadcom-based and doesn't use Quantenna chips at all.

Message 2 of 5
Markyboy
Aspirant

Well, that would seem to answer that one, Thanks.

Now I need to start googling again to see if Broadcom has the same issue 🙂

Message 3 of 5

Or the whole thing may be an urban myth dreamed up by nerds with time on their hands.

Message 4 of 5
microchip8
Master

Actually, it isn't. I've experienced in the past drain issues on my Galaxy J5 phone when I upgraded the firmware on my ASUS router. On the WIFI status page you could clearly see the device switching back and forth between powersafe mode and normal mode. Reverting back to a previous firmware shows no drain and no such behavior. This was also reported by quite a few Samsung users on SNB forums as well. I'd lose half my battery capacity/day due to this even when not using the phone

So a specific combination of drivers and phones can trigger it. People that didn't use a Samsung phone/tablet didn't experience such an issue

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7