Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Downgrading firmware

Robwuk
Tutor

Downgrading firmware

Because of DNS issues in the latest revision, I am trying to downgrade my firmware from V1.4.2.84_1.3.42 to R7900P-V1.4.1.62_1.3.22.
I select the .chk file but after a few seconds of uploading it says connection reset and nothing else happens. What am I doing incorrectly?

Regards,

Rob

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 17
Robwuk
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk R7900P X6S AC3000 Latest Firmware v1.4.2.84 Destroys DNS resolution

Where on earth is Netgear in this debacle? This has been an issue for months. I still get "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN".
Now it is not only impacting webrowsing but I suspect another application that uses DNS.

It is hard to believe that a company for whom this is core business has not fixed this yet.

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7900P X6S AC3000 Latest Firmware v1.4.2.84 Destroys DNS resolution

So you'll need to downgrade to prior FW version or what worked for you. 

@Robwuk wrote:

Where on earth is Netgear in this debacle? This has been an issue for months. I still get "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN".
Now it is not only impacting webrowsing but I suspect another application that uses DNS.

It is hard to believe that a company for whom this is core business has not fixed this yet.

Message 2 of 17
Robwuk
Tutor

I did downgrade to V1.4.2.84_1.3.42 with the help of netgear support. But I am now still getting the issue.

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

v.84 is the recent version of FW so you'll need to downgrade to something older then this version. Try v.62?

@Robwuk wrote:

I did downgrade to V1.4.2.84_1.3.42 with the help of netgear support. But I am now still getting the issue.

Message 4 of 17
Robwuk
Tutor

I get a connection reset shortly after beginning upload of either 62 or 66 to the router. Any ideas? What might I be doing wrong? And thanks for the help.

Regards,

Rob

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 17
plemans
Guru

You might start your own post instead of jumping on someone else's thread and potentially getting your info confused with the OP's. 

Message 6 of 17
Robwuk
Tutor

Sure thing. My apologies. I will figure out how to do that. I understood that responses were volunteer community.

Regards,

Rob

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try MS Edge or Firefox. 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before entering the routers web page. 

You might try a factory reset first, get thru the setup wizard, then go directly in and try the FW update. 

Be sure you are unpacking the FW .zip file before you select the actual FW file to send using the routers manual update page.

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 9 of 17
Robwuk
Tutor

I used MS Edge after clearing the cache. While it is uploading and then goes to a white page saying connection reset, if I wait an extended period of time to you suspect that it may actually finish? it simply seems to blank in the middle.

I am reluctant to reset the router as so much in the house relies on the wireless network that it would take a while to bring it back.

Regards,

ROb

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try Firefox. 

Possible that the router is some odd state which maybe need a reset. 

You can do this first:

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 11 of 17
Robwuk
Tutor

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me on this. I really appreciate it. You were correct. I did reboot the router and it did enable me to go back a rev on the FW. I went back to 68 on my R7900p. I will try that first and if necessary go back further to stop the DNS timeouts.

Once again many thanks.egards,

Rob

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 13 of 17
Robwuk
Tutor

I did discover one problem. I believe I had taken the FW back a rev with the help of Netgear support. Having been able to take it back again myself I have discovered that updates are enabled.  It probably did update back to the errant rev.

Sadly when I change it to disabled and hit apply no other button is usable even logout. Nothing visible happens other than admin seems to freeze. I have to restart the router although it does process outside web requests. Would I be imposing too much on you for suggestions for that if you have any?

Regards,

Rob

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

IF v.84 got back on, then you'll need to manually download v.68 on to your PC. Probably factory reset the router. Then disconnect it from the ISP modem. Get thru the setup wizard and select manual setup or setup myself. Get to the home page and manually sent the v.68 FW file again. After it's back to ready. Go in and disable Auto udpate FW option. Once this is set, re-connect the router back to the ISP modem. 

Message 15 of 17
Robwuk
Tutor

I am successfully back to Version 68 with updates disabled.

What puzzles me is that the "No_Domain" issue is at least two months old and it seems like going back a rev fixes it. So their developers have an exemplar of what worked. Unless the changes were incredibly extensive I would have expected a decent development team to have fixed the issue by now.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

WEll with all thats been going on in the world, things change and development and test have been impacted. NG is aware of the issues. May take time for them to get things fixed. Be patient. 

Glad you got it working. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7