Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Enabling Guest Network

ramkalluru
Aspirant

Enabling Guest Network

Hi,

Current Local network is 192.168.5.0

We have the Netgear Nighhawk X6 smart wifi router, Model:R8000. We have connected this router to on existed LAN(192.168.5.x) network AP mode

Disabled Dhcp. My requirement is, to enable the guest network and they no need to access our existed LAN network. We tried to enable the guest network and uncheck the "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" option. Even though we are able to access the existed network through guest network. Kindly suggest me how to restrict the access to guests to local network.

Thanks,

Ram 

+91.7842870998

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi bacon333,

The option "Allow guest to see each other and access my local network" allows devices connected to guest network to be able to communicate with your local network. For the option for guest device that will be able to see other guest devices even if the "allow" option is disabled is not possible with the router. It is intended to isolate each devices same as public WiFi's.

JamesGL

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
microchip8
Master

So the R8000 works as an AP, right? If so, you cannot restrict the Guest Network while in AP mode as the AP just passes through whatever it recveives to your main network

Message 2 of 14
ramkalluru
Aspirant

Thank you. We are not enabled AP. 

Existed connetcivity as like this..

ISP to Firewall(192.168.5.0)

Firewall to Switch

Switch to Netgear router port 1 of the 4 ports.

is there any alterante option to restrict the guest network with existed LAN(192.168.5.0) .

Thanks,

Ram

Message 3 of 14
microchip8
Master

NVM

must have misunderstand you. How did you test that Guests can see the local network?

Message 4 of 14
ramkalluru
Aspirant

I have connected another laptop with Guest network SSID, and pinging the main network.

Thanks,

Ram

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 14
microchip8
Master

maybe there's a bug in the firmware. There is no other way to achieve what you want using the stock firmware. You'll have to use a 3rd party firmware like Tomato which can be set up to have separate bridges for local and guest network using VLANs

Message 6 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Guest Isolation using OEM FW only works when the r8000 is used as main router and as already stated it requires V-LAN which it doesn't support.

Message 7 of 14
ramkalluru
Aspirant

Hi Searay,

Please check once how i configured my router.

We are using 192.168.5.xxx as  main local network. I given IP 192.168.5.6 to the WAN Port of router an with our local DNS details.

For Lan Setup i given IP 192.168.1.1 and here DHCP enabled.

I enabled Guest network  and unchecked "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" box.

Now I connected my Laptop to Guest Network, I recieved 192.168.1.XX IP. And I am getting internet and I am accessing to our main local LAN.

My requirement is my laptop shouldn't access to our Main local network 192.168.5.XX.

Please suggest for this scenario.

Message 8 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> guest  wifi     

router input

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>                                     the only Isolation is between the these points    once traffic goes back through input NO ISOLATION exists

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>main LAN & WIFI

since you're placing the r8000 down stream from other network router NO ISOLATION exists

Message 9 of 14
ramkalluru
Aspirant

Then how can i configure based on my requirement.

(Requirement: Can't access guest network devices to Local Network)

Message 10 of 14
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Modem..................Wan port r8000 in router mode with main & guest SSID

Message 11 of 14
bacon333
Tutor

I'm trying to achieve something similar. With my old ASUS router, guests could see each other but not my local LAN. I have a few private NAS boxes and I want to keep my Airbnb guests in their own network. This also means that their Chromecast in the room will be on the guest network. For obvious reasons, Chromecast doesn't work if the guests can't see each other. Alternatively I know I could turn on guest mode on the Chromecast but it's a bit cumbersome for the guests.

The thing that confuses me the most is the "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network." Setting.

This setting essentially provides the same access as a non-guest network correct? The only difference would be a different SSID and password? I don't really see the purpose of this.

Doesn't it make more sense to have it allow guests to see each other but not the local network? Is there a workaround to make this happen?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 12 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi bacon333,

The option "Allow guest to see each other and access my local network" allows devices connected to guest network to be able to communicate with your local network. For the option for guest device that will be able to see other guest devices even if the "allow" option is disabled is not possible with the router. It is intended to isolate each devices same as public WiFi's.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 13 of 14
JamesGL
Master

Hi bacon333,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we’ve provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7