Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extending AC2300

Kayenta
Aspirant

Extending AC2300

I have an AC2300 Nighthawk router.  Dish tv system.  Get periodic disconnects upstairs.  Bought a TP-Link range extender.  When attempting wireless setup the WPS "button" on the router does not seem to do anything.  I have the extender four feet from the router for set up.  Have reset it a number of times.  I press WPS on router, WPS on extender, latter just blinks for a while and then goes dark.  No connection.  I'm not exactly tech literate, and even trying to use the Tether app the setup does not work.  I spent 45 minutes with a non english speaking TP Link tech who simply could not guide me through the process; she was obviously helping two or three other callers at the same time.  

Last year I returned a TP Link extender because it would not pair.  If I cannot get this one to work I will be returning it as well and just put up with the outages.  Any SIMPLE suggestions?  The router WPS is a button on the front of the router, not in back.

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Extending AC2300

A couple things. 

1. AC2300 is a speed, not a model. What router do you have? 

2. What firmware is on the router?

3. What tp-link extender is it? 

Message 2 of 5
Kayenta
Aspirant

Router is Model R7000P.

I am not sure what you mean by firmware.  When I set it up less than a year ago, I just followed instructions.  It is connected to Spectrum as ISP, complete with Spectrum's usual bottom of the barrel modem/wifi.  That has all worked fairly well with Dish, but signal drops upstairs even in good weather,  which is why I tried an extender.  Signal usually re-acquires, sometimes by itself sometimes we have to unplug Joey from outlet and reinsert.  I have tried wireless method, but it appears WPS button on top of router does not do anything at all.  When I put the extender in the outlet next to the router, the bottom strength signal blinks for a minute or two, then goes out.  After that, only the power light on the extender stays on.  Plugging into any other outlet does not get other than the power light, no strength signal.

TP-Link is RE220  ver 2.8 Dual band AC750.  Says it works with any router. 
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

What spectrum modem/router is it? 

Firmware is what runs a device.

If you log into the R7000P through the browser, it should show on the top left or on the status page what firmware its on. 

Message 4 of 5
Kayenta
Aspirant

Hate to say it but I am going to give up on attempting to get an extender to work with my router.  Am going to return the TP-Link.  We will just put up with the outages, pay to have a Dish guy come over and see how to increase wifi range, or move to Allo, which is an up and coming cable company in Nebraska and maybe elsewhere.  I hate to give up Dish, it has the channel packages we like and Allo and Spectrum lack the favorites we want. 

Thanks for attempting to help.  I appreciate it.  On a last note, it appears that Netgear deflects costs by creating a community, because tech support from Netgear costs the customers bucks.  My next router will definitely not be a Netgear and if I ever get an extender it won't be TP-Link.

Kayenta

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7