Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

JamesGL
Master

Feedback for R7000 New firmware 1.0.9.18

Hi All,

Please post here for any update/issue related to the latest firmware 1.0.9.18. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 897

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

You should review this and maybe revert back to this recommended version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-1-0-9-26-Feedback-Thread/m-p/1520141#M...

@Alfikwrote:

I've looked here again after a while and I can't belive the problem is still not solved....

Since I've flashed Tomato a few weeks ago I've forgotten that I have a router- it's working perfectly getting dust because i do not touch it at all :-)...

Parental control works perfectly, 0 drops, strong signal - save your time and do a similar thing!

View solution in original post

Message 877 of 897

All Replies
MPrinter17
Star

Currently running V1.0.9.18_1.2.27. 

Problem is that 2.4G devices fall off the network. I've already done a Factory Reset and set everything up again by hand. After the reset or reboot, I can get everything connected just fine for about an hour or so, then the 2.4G devices fall off and can't reconnect until the router is rebooted. 

I'm running Smart Connect and QoS and the R7000 is in Router mode. 

Message 2 of 897
JamesGL
Master

Hi MPrinter17,

Can you disable the Smart connect first and observe the connection? We will try to identify if the those features being enabled affect the performance of the wireless.

Message 3 of 897
MPrinter17
Star

Done. I've disabled the Smart Connect and seperated my 5G and 2.4G devices to different SSID's. I'll let you know how it goes. 

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi MPrinter17,

Can you disable the Smart connect first and observe the connection? We will try to identify if the those features being enabled affect the performance of the wireless.

Message 4 of 897
Netabc123
Guide

Copied from the other thread:

I have rebooted, but not yet done a factory reset. I will do so later when there's less traffic on the network.

For me, the issue isn't device specific, rather it is band specific. When the 2.4GHz has issues, all my devices are unable to obtain an ip via the 2.4GHz network. Same thing happens randomly to the 5GHz network (different SSID). As far as I'm aware, the timing the of the issues occur randomly and can only be fixed with a reboot or applying a change to the router. There are times I can use both networks and times when it's one or the other. If I'm having issues with one, I can switch to the other on the same device and have it work fine.

Note: I've never had smart connect enabled

Message 5 of 897
MPrinter17
Star

I disabled the smart connect and split my SSIDs. After about 30 min all the 2.4G connected devices fell off.

I disconnected my phone from the 5G network and was unable to connect to the 2.4G. I connected back to the 5G no problem. So whatever it is affects the 2.4G connections.
Message 6 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

Mine is still failing as well. Question for Netgear: How well does Netgear understand the root cause?
Message 7 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

They obviously don't understand the root cause or they would have fixed it.

Are you guys using same or different passwords for 2.4 and 5Ghz?

If you run a tool like WiFi Analyzer on your phone and set the update frequency to high, then look at the Channel Time graph, when the problem occurs do you still see the 2.4Ghz network active on the analyzer?

What devices do you have connected?
Message 8 of 897
Laudek
Star

Ok so updated to the current version of the firmware roughly 3.5 hours ago.  All was fine with wired and wireless connections for a bit.  First noticed the wireless connection to the HP 8710 printer dropped and while the system could identify it, it could not communicate with it.  This was about 20 minutes ago.  Also noticed my son's all in one HP Pavillion was showing internet access but could not connect.  Also noticed the Nexus 6P dropped its connection but could recognize the WiFi.  The wired connection to the PC was fine.

So.... attempted to login via the Genie app on the wired connection.  No luck after 3 attempts.  Logged in via Edge browser.  Was able to disable Smart Connect.  Logged off, and cycled off the router followed by:

the PCs both wired and WiFi (both running Windows 10 version 1709)

the cell

the printer.

Seem to have connection in all devices including the Nest and Google homes.  

Attempted to router login via Edge and it routed me to password recovery.  Was able to login via chrome and confirm connections as well including for Google home.  Noted that two Google Homes were in 5Ghz and the third on the 2.5 band.

Will monitor.  If I start dropping connections again tomorrow there are two steps left for me.

1) reset router to factory settings, update and restore settings and if that fails 

2) flash back to version R7000-V1.0.9.12_1.2.23

Message 9 of 897
Netabc123
Guide

I've basically had the same experience as Laudek above. When one band is having issues (eg. 2.4GHz), I can see the 2.4GHz network, I can join it, but I get no ip and therefore no connection to the router (can't log in) and cant see any other device on the network. If the 2.4Ghz network is having issues, I can switch to the 5GHz network and access to the router, internet and any other device connected on the 5GHz network. The reverse happens too with the 5Ghz network having issues but 2.4GHz working fine.

Message 10 of 897
Diggie3
Luminary

Sounds like DHCP might fail?

Can you connect a Windows PC and open a CMD window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Do this when it's still working. See what your IP lease time is. Then try IPCONFIG /RELEASE * and IPCONFIG /RENEW *, then IPCONFIG /ALL again. Did your PC get a new IP address? (does it still access the internet?)

Finally wait until it loses access again and type IPCONFIG /ALL. Does it still have an IP address? Did it fail roughly when the lease expired?
Message 11 of 897

So far everything is working fine. I had had troubles with .12 and 14 so I flashed back to 1.0.9.6, did factory reset.  Updated to 1.0.9.18 today and speeds and connectivity have been good.

Message 12 of 897
juched
Apprentice

To add to this thread that enabling circle on this build does the same as all other versions I have tested. The internet speed tests slower and slower until eventually it is frustrating to use. Turn off circle and full speed is back. No reboot needed.
Message 13 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@spanishgringo wrote:

So far everything is working fine. I had had troubles with .12 and 14 so I flashed back to 1.0.9.6, did factory reset.  Updated to 1.0.9.18 today and speeds and connectivity have been good.

Great, please let us know if it stays that way.

Message 14 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi All,

Please post here for any update/issue related to the latest firmware 1.0.9.18. 

Can you tell me why they do not use the release page to list the changes? For us it's very important what's changed. And it not wrong to admit faults. Just be honest to all Netgear users. The number of posts were less if Netgear was quicker with reporting the issues on the community. Let us know what the developer team is doing.

Message 15 of 897
chopin70
Virtuoso

Connection is better clearly after hard reset: speedtest.net doesn't kill it. But randomly, wifi connection fails. Turn on/off wifi button on router fixes it. Also switching to 5 Ghz and back to 2.4Ghz fixes it or vice versa if the 5GHz fails

Did theses update fix WPA2 in AP mode ?
Message 16 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

I had to update to 1.0.9.18 an hour ago because also my old firmware version got the same problem again after 36 hours. I thought I had fixed it with an old V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 after flashing via the first FW ever. 3 resets and 3 old FW versions were not enough to make it it stable again.

I do not have the trust 1.0.9.18 is solving the 2.4GHz problem. I guess I have to buy a new router. Downtime is not acceptable anymore.

Message 17 of 897
aabshire
Apprentice

Upgraded yesterday afternoon. Disabled smart connect, 5 ghz & guest. Same issues as before, devices dropping and only able to get them back is after a reboot or updating settings.

Message 18 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

Just ordered a Linksys WRT1900ACS. I am so sick and tired.
Message 19 of 897
SeanPGH
Aspirant

Same issue. 2g Devices unable to connect to 2g network.  devices that can support both connect to 5g fine, can not connect to 2g. This is on printers, windows, android, and I havent tried apple yet.  I also did another reset and for some reason it is not broadcasting the SSID any more.

Message 20 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

@HWAM wrote:

I had to update to 1.0.9.18 an hour ago because also my old firmware version got the same problem again after 36 hours. I thought I had fixed it with an old V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 after flashing via the first FW ever. 3 resets and 3 old FW versions were not enough to make it it stable again.

I do not have the trust 1.0.9.18 is solving the 2.4GHz problem. I guess I have to buy a new router. Downtime is not acceptable anymore.

An earlier firmware seems to have fixed it though. More than a week is pretty good:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-keeps-losing-2-4GHz-wireless-connectiv...

Message 21 of 897
mzguy
Apprentice

Can someone please point me to the downgrade process, so I can downgrade to 1.0.7.10_1.2.3? I don't have any confidence Netgear will fix this in the next 3 weeks.

Message 22 of 897
rudiklein
Star

@HWAM Linksys seems to be the better choice. But don't forget Linksys could screw up too. Anyway,  it's the way a company fixes their screw ups.

Best Overall, Best for Larger Homes: Linksys AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Router Man Happy

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-AC1900-Wireless-Router-EA7500/dp/B019WAQMVY/?tag=aboutcom02lifewire-2...

Message 23 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

@rudiklein I know all brands can create bugs. But I am not able to repair the R7000. Even a full reset and flash the oldest firmware wasn't fixing the issue. I guess the problem firmwares broke my router.
Message 24 of 897
HWAM
Apprentice

At this moment my WiFi 2.4GHz is down again. So nothing is helping anymore. Also the firmware of today is not solving the problem.
Message 25 of 897
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7