Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firestick on LAN

actionfast
Guide

Firestick on LAN

Hi, I have a LAN line direct from my Nighthawk to my Firestick (with the adapter) The Firestick does not find the router, it will only connect wi-fi. I get too much buffering, I want to go wired. What do I need to do?

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact the mfr of Firestick. 
Possible it doesn't support ethernet connections. 

Message 2 of 21

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Contact the mfr of Firestick. 
Possible it doesn't support ethernet connections. 

It does. Here at least.

But the setup process can be picky.

Hard to say any more when @actionfast has told us nothing about their network and what happens when they try to connect.

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

And what adapter is being used. It wouldn't be the first time a sketchy adapter didn't work properly or was compatible

Message 4 of 21
actionfast
Guide

Yeah, it is meant to. I specifically bought the Amazon adapter for the Firestick, to allow a LAN connection. I run a LAN from the router to the adapter, then micro USB from the adapter to the Firestick.

Message 5 of 21
actionfast
Guide

Yeah, it is meant to. I specifically bought the Amazon adapter for the Firestick, to allow a LAN connection. I run a LAN from the router to the adapter, then micro USB from the adapter to the Firestick.

The Firestick remains on wi-fi. The port light on the Nighthawk flashes amber. No mater what router port I use, it always flashes amber. I tried a new cable with the same results.

Message 6 of 21
actionfast
Guide

I bought the specific Amazon adapter meant for their Firestick. I tried to get a replacement, but Amazon refused, so I cannot say 100% the adapter is not at fault.....

Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok I stand corrected.

If this adapter fails to connect via ethernet on any wifi router, I would presume the problem is with this device if all troubleshooting has been exhausted. Swapped cables, factory reset of the device it self and setup from scratch. 

Message 8 of 21
plemans
Guru

blinking amber means its connecting at 10/100mbps link. Which is normal. those adapters aren't gigabit speeds. so amber is normal. And its means its connecting to it. 

Did you re-run the network setup on the firestick? 

Message 9 of 21
actionfast
Guide

yes, and it only sees wi fi

Message 10 of 21
plemans
Guru

How long is your wired power cable?

Have you tried a different power adapter? (with enough amps)

From reading the forums, the factory adapters have issues if underpowered and the ethernet won't work.

Might be worth checking. 

I'd read a bit on the reviews for that specific device. Like I said, if the ethernet port light is coming on, the router is picking up a connection. 

Message 11 of 21

Did you ever tell us what Netgear router you have and what modem it talks to?

Message 12 of 21
actionfast
Guide

Nighthawk X10 R9000 to Spectrum Cable  modem

Message 13 of 21
actionfast
Guide

I never thought of that, i am using the one that came with the Firestick. I really don't even know where I'd go for other options.

The power cord is maybe 3-5 feet

Message 14 of 21
plemans
Guru

are you powering it off the tv usb port or a wall plug? 
If its a wall plug, see if you have a 2amp one around. Most firesticks only need 1 amp but maybe the distance/adapters have caused it to need more. 

Message 15 of 21
actionfast
Guide

So, any 2 amp micro USB should work?

Message 16 of 21
plemans
Guru

In theory yes. 

Also make sure the firestick is updated. Seems like some of the updates have issues with the adapter (from reading reviews)

Message 17 of 21
actionfast
Guide

I'll give it a try, thanks

Message 18 of 21

@actionfast wrote:

Nighthawk X10 R9000 to Spectrum Cable  modem

Spectrum has supplied many different cable modems over the years. Only the model number answers the question.

It isn't likely to be a key factor in this case, but troubleshooting depends on having full details.

That also includes the firmware installed on the R9000. The number, not "the latest".

Message 19 of 21
ocasaenva
Aspirant

My internet speed is a true 300-320 Mbps. My Fire stick 4K Max is getting 3-5 Mbps. I've rebooted both the router and the Fire Stick. Wifi connection. Tried both 2.4 and 5G. It's 3 feet from the router, a NETGEAR Nighthawk Wifi 6 capable router. It's not blocked by the TV, as used my phone's NETGEAR scanning app and it works fine when held right beside the fire stick, no significant decrease in signal. It is indeed in a wall outlet with the included power block. My phone is getting 300+ up and down, don't understand why the stick is getting damn near dial-up speeds.

Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like if other devices are working to get to spec speeds and the Firestick isn't, seems like the stick is the problem or faulty and not working right. Something Amazon should look into.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7