Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Firmware Upgrade Using Remote Management

GKACK
Tutor

Firmware Upgrade Using Remote Management

I need to do a firmware upgrade on my R7000 router and can only do remotely since the router is in a home that is only used seasonally.  I have remote access and when I search for a firmware upgrade through remote management, it comes back saying none are available.  I received an email from Netgear saying I need to upgrade to 1.0.7.6 and I can download the update onto my computer.  My question is can I safely do the firmware upgrade if my computer is not attached to the router that is being upgraded?  Unfortunately I am hundreds of miles away from the router and can not afford to have it go down if this upgrade process is not done properly.  Thanks in advance for assistance.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

@GKACK wrote:

Not sure if this changes anything but when I search for a firmware update on the router it comes back and says "No new firmware version available"

The fix for the R7900 is still in beta, so it will not show up in the web interface.

As FURRYNUTZ says, there will be a beta version on the support pages for that device. Keep your eye on that, and the security advisory, and it should tell you when the firmware goes "factory". Then you may be able to do a remote update using the web interface.

Security Advisory for VU 582384, PSV-2016-0245 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If NG can confirm that doing a FW update will not wipe any current settings and they will remain after the udpate, then I would try it. However if you need the router to remain online and you have doubts to it's operation after the FW update, I would wait till your on site and can do it there. Or if you have someone trusted that lives close to this place that can help you with it. My two cents.

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Seems to me that there is some risk here, even if Netgear confirms that the settings are preserved.

So if you "can not afford to have it go down" then I think you have to wait.

Message 3 of 7

The suggested update may be down to the ongoing security flap. The R7000 is one of the afflicted devices:

Is anyone using this router during your absence? If not, perhaps one of the real experts can advise if you are likely to get clobbered by the security hole.

As that firmware upgrade has now been officially released, it should show up in the router's own interface. Perhaps it just hasn't shown up yet.

What is the current firmware?

Message 4 of 7
GKACK
Tutor

Ok, thanks to everyone who responded.  It turns out that I was a little confused about router models since I have 3 Netgear routers between homes and work.  The router in the remote location is actually a R7900 running firmware version V1.0.1.4_10.0.12  

Not sure if this changes anything but when I search for a firmware update on the router it comes back and says "No new firmware version available"

At this time there are only security cameras, wifi connected speakers and a VOIP phone using the wifi.  Unless there is a high risk of something, I can easily wait until I am there or I see that a firmware upgrade is available in the router's interface.  

Thanks to everyone.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Always check the NG support web site for most current FW updates to be sure.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 7

@GKACK wrote:

The fix for the R7900 is still in beta, so it will not show up in the web interface.

As FURRYNUTZ says, there will be a beta version on the support pages for that device. Keep your eye on that, and the security advisory, and it should tell you when the firmware goes "factory". Then you may be able to do a remote update using the web interface.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7