Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware fail

Greghatingpcs
Aspirant

Firmware fail

My router quit after a power failure and I can't get it working again. I followed the Netgear tftp instructions and i get a "connect request failed" message. Also, when I turn it back on with the reset button held, the instructions say it should start flashing the power light but that never happens. It also doesn't say exactly where to connect the cable on the router. To the internet connection or to one of the numbered connections. I've tried both with the same results. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance, Greg

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
antinode
Guru

Re: Firmware fail

> My router quit after a power failure and I can't get it working again.
> [...]

"quit" or "can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not
say what your router does.  It does not say what you did.  It does not
say what happened when you did it.  As usual, showing actual actions
(commands) with their actual results (error messages, LED indicators,
...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] I followed the Netgear tftp instructions [...]

_Which_ "the Netgear tftp instructions"?

> [...] It also doesn't say exactly where to connect the cable on the
> router. [...]

"It"?  Any of the LAN Ethernet ports should work.

> [...] Am I missing something? [...]

A clear description of what your router does, what you did, and what
happened when you did it?

Message 2 of 12
Greghatingpcs
Aspirant

My router powers up but I cannot see any WiFi signals, nor do the LAN ports work. If I plug the LAN cable directly into my laptop, i get connectivety, but not through the router. The amber power on light comes on solid as do the WiFi lights. The internet light comes on half strength and fluctuates. I followed Netgears instructions on TFTP firmware upload and get a "connect request failed" after entering the put command. Also, following the Netgear instructions, they say the power LED should flash after holding the reset button and powering the router back up. Mine does not flash, ever. I hope that answers your questions, sorry for not making myself clear.

Message 3 of 12
antinode
Guru

> [...] I followed Netgears instructions on TFTP firmware upload [...]

_Which_ "Netgears instructions"?  Where, exactly, did you find these
"Netgears instructions"?  (Hint: "On the Netgear web site" is not a
useful answer.)  Better yet, what, exactly, did you do?  Copy+paste is
your friend.

The TFTP recovery scheme is a multi-step procedure which offers
multiple opportunities for user input, hence user error.  By itself,
saying that you "followed [some] instructions [or other]" doesn't say
much.  Almost everyone believes that he's doing the right things.  Not
every one of them is correct.

> [...] Mine does not flash, ever. [...]

I know nothing, but from what I've read here, not all models/firmware
versions flash.  But an amber Power indicator is suggestive.

Message 4 of 12
Greghatingpcs
Aspirant

I turned off my router and left one LAN connection between my laptop and my router. i enabled TFTP in Windows programs I then went to Ethernet properties and set TCP/IPv4 to the parameters in the instructions. I then went to the command prompt and typed in the command "c:\Users\Greg\Downloads\>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put R7900P-V1.4.64_1.3.25.chk" I then powered up the router holding the reset button in the back, counted to 10, released the button and pressed enter on my laptop. About ten to fifteen seconds later, the connect request failed message appears

Message 5 of 12
antinode
Guru

> [...] I then powered up the router holding the reset button in the
> back, counted to 10, released the button and pressed enter on my laptop.
> [...]

I'd vary that power-on sequence.  What happens if you don't play with
the Reset button?  Or vary the timing?   If the router takes a little
time to recover from the Reset button being pressed, then a quick TFTP
"put" could arrive before the router is ready to do anything.

>    _Which_ "Netgears instructions"? [...]

Still a mystery.

Message 6 of 12
Greghatingpcs
Aspirant

I varied the timing this morning and tried without the reset button, still no joy. I'm using Netgear article 000059634. Also, I mistyped my instruction last night. It's actually TFTP -i 192.168.1.1 put R7900P-V1.4.1.64_1.3.25.chk. One other thing, with the network cable connected from laptop to router and typing 192.168.1.1 in the browser address bar, I get nothing.

Message 7 of 12

@Greghatingpcs wrote:

One other thing, with the network cable connected from laptop to router and typing 192.168.1.1 in the browser address bar, I get nothing.

That's another indicator of bust firmware. If you can get in, it isn't that damaged and you can use the firmware update.

@Greghatingpcs wrote:

Also, I mistyped my instruction last night. It's actually TFTP -i 192.168.1.1 put R7900P-V1.4.1.64_1.3.25.chk.

What response did you get?

Key issues with TFTP that I have seen mentioned here are:

• Failure to enable TFTP in Windows
  • Failure to give the TFTP source (the laptop plugged into the router) a usable IP address
  • Getting the put command wrong
  • That includes the wrong [router IP] address and not having the firmware in the same directory you are in when you issue the TFTP command

The error messages that you see when you do these things can be useful diagnostic tools.

@Greghatingpcs wrote:

I varied the timing this morning and tried without the reset button, still no joy. I'm using Netgear article 000059634.

Is this what you meant?

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It seems to have the right number.

Message 8 of 12
Greghatingpcs
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. Yes, that is the Netgear article I'm using to reset the router. I've read it many times and I don't think I've missed anything. The message I keep getting is "Connect request failed" My firmware update file is located in the downloads directory, I've turned on the TFTP feature and I'm running out of ideas. I'm starting to think I have a really nice wheel chock for my car. ;-} One other curious thing, I can't really see anything happen when I press the reset button. With the router powered on, and pushing the button, nothing happens to the LED lights. Holding the button and turning on the router, seems to have no effect on the boot up process. I have another laptop, and I'm going to try the reset with that one today. Again, thanks for all of your time spent trying to help me with this.

Message 9 of 12
Greghatingpcs
Aspirant

Netgear was asking for an update, so my solution to the problem was to buy an Asus router. I tried my other laptop, but still could not connect to the router. Pretty poor engineering in my opinion that a power outage would take out my router. If anyone still has some ideas, I'm open to them. Thanks, Greg

Message 10 of 12

@Greghatingpcs wrote:

Pretty poor engineering in my opinion that a power outage would take out my router.

Really? That is perfectly understandable. Expected even in some circumstances.

Power outages can be down to many things. For example, if there was a lightning strike on your power lines then you can pretty well guarantee to lose electronic equipment. I lost a whole office load of stuff some time back.

Engineering a device that can avoid that sort of thing requires serious electrical engineering.

@Greghatingpcs wrote:

Netgear was asking for an update....

I have no idea what that means.

Message 11 of 12
Greghatingpcs
Aspirant

Netgear, or should I say, the community, was asking if I had resolved the issue. I have not. 

Granted, a lightning strike is a powerful electronic burner, but this router is the only thing I lost. The little black box you plug into the wall is a transformer which should quiet electrical noise and operate over a wide range of electrical voltages. My friend, who is a 30 year EE building power supplies, is of the same opinion. But again, that is just my opinion.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7