× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108PEV3 IP address still default on DHCP Network

boward57
Aspirant

GS108PEV3 IP address still default on DHCP Network

This switch connects to a JGS516PE which in turn is connected to the DHCP server in the form of Wi-Fi router provided by the ISP. The 16 port switch gets a proper IP address from the DHCP server but the 8 port switch still has the default IP address of 192.168.0.239. Why isn't it getting an IP address from the DHCP server?

There are 3 cameras and a remote Wi-Fi router all attached to the 8 port switch which are working fine. They all have DHCP IP addresses from the server and are working fine.

Is that just normal protocol between the 16 port switch and the 8 port? 

Simple network diagram attached.

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108PEV3 IP address still default on DHCP Network

No exotic VLAN config on the GS108PEv3 switch in question, so all on the defaults in this aspect?

Cold start the GS108PEv3 does not make it succeed getting an IP config from the DHCP server?

@boward57 wrote:

Is that just normal protocol between the 16 port switch and the 8 port? 

No rocket science in this aspect. Have done a MAC-IP address reservation for the GS108PEv3 just in case?

Message 2 of 5
boward57
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. No VLANs or other configs. I just disabked DHCP on the switch and assigned a static IP address. Issue resolved. Cheers
Message 3 of 5
MJHG23
Aspirant

Resurrecting this post, how did you get this to work exactly? Have the same issue and banging my head against the wall 2 weeks now.

I've got a Google nest wifi mesh router directly connected to the ISP modem distributing DHCP. Next connected is a GS305ep switch from Netgear and picks up the IP in the same subnet as the Google Wi-Fi correctly, followed by downstreamed GS108PEv3 however all of a sudden after a power outage, can't get the GS108 for the life of us to get an IP attached per DHCP no matter what. This used to work but I have a feeling that it's stuck on the. 0.239 IP Network. I have assigned its MAC address with a DHCP reservation through the Google nest to no avail. Have done a hard reset and clean reset but it will not provide it a connection IP. At a loss and stand still as to what could be the issue.

One ironic item to mention is if I were to connect one of the Google points to that GS108 router downstream at the end, that one picks up it's IP address and meshes with the system perfectly, but all the other direct connected devices, including the switch itself, do not get allocated an IP address...
Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@MJHG23 wrote:
I've got a Google nest wifi mesh router directly connected to the ISP modem distributing DHCP. Next connected is a GS305ep switch from Netgear and picks up the IP in the same subnet as the Google Wi-Fi correctly, followed by downstreamed GS108PEv3 however all of a sudden after a power outage, can't get the GS108 for the life of us to get an IP attached per DHCP no matter what. This used to work but I have a feeling that it's stuck on the. 0.239 IP Network. I have assigned its MAC address with a DHCP reservation through the Google nest to no avail. .

The point is the very basic DHCP client on all uC equipped Plus switches. After power-up (following the power failure), these switches are becoming active very quick, but the DHCP request does time-out much to fast. Check the switch in question has DHCP active. Now cold start (power off-on) this switch, and you will very likely see the DHCP succeed, and get the IP config assigned as per the DHCP MAC reservation on your Google Wi-Fi.

@MJHG23 wrote:
One ironic item to mention is if I were to connect one of the Google points to that GS108 router downstream at the end, that one picks up it's IP address and meshes with the system perfectly, but all the other direct connected devices, including the switch itself, do not get allocated an IP address...

Your Google Mesh system does not boot comparably fast like the Plus switches, and it has a better DHCP client on board, re-trying longer than the Plus switches. The point is that the switches are becoming active with the defined configuration, regardless of the DHCP assigned admin address, and never retry the DHCP request.

@MJHG23 wrote:
Resurrecting this post, how did you get this to work exactly? 

The OP applied a work-around on the Plus switch, and put a static IP config in place.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements