Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Genie anomaly or is my router confused?

sweller
Aspirant

Genie anomaly or is my router confused?

There's a field to the right of the WiFi channel pull-down labeled, "Current:6" I say "Current:6" because no matter the channel I select, it never changes.

Further, If I go to Advanced -> Administration -> Wireless Channel, the chart show me as being on channel 6 even though I just put the router on - say - channel 11. Even better, the chart will show NOTHING on channel 11.

Further still, If i use the Genie ap on my tablet, it says my router is on channel 11 - unless I go into WiFi Analytics where it says I'm on channel 6!

The best yet, I'm stuck in the MIDDLE of a FINGER pointing contest between Netgear and Xfinity as to who's problem it is. Xfinity just tried to get me to upgrade the firmware froma file on Netgear's website (?!?).

My question to the community is, do you see this behaviour in Genie? Are you confident the router is set to something other than channel 6? I really feel the need to change it because I can identify no less than 7 othe devices on channel 6 as it is.

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
sweller
Aspirant

Re: Genie anomaly or is my router confused?

I suppose I can close this one out. Netgear finally agreed that something was NQR about that router and sent me a new one. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
sweller
Aspirant

Netgear tech support just hung up on me!!!

Message 2 of 10
sweller
Aspirant

I thought the C7800 was among their high-end routers. Yet the Nighthawk app doesn't support it???

Message 3 of 10
sweller
Aspirant

Downloading and playing with various WiFi Analyzers from Google Play, I now believe that anything reporting other than channel 6 is wrong.

Netgear: You make solid hardware, but your firmware is painfully pathetic.

Message 4 of 10
sweller
Aspirant

I accidentally discovered I can force the router to one of three channels by selecting one of the three diferent modes:

Up to 54Mbps = Channel 10

Up to 433Mbps = Channel 9

Up to 1000Mbps = Channel 6

This can't really be by design, can it? I think it's just sloppy software engineering.

Message 5 of 10
sweller
Aspirant

Up to 433Mbps = Channel 9 (or 😎

Message 6 of 10
sweller
Aspirant

There seems to be a lot of loose ends here like mine. Am I expecting too much that I thought a Netgear agent would engage and respond? 

Message 7 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to make the channel change via a web browser rather than using the app?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 10
sweller
Aspirant

I did, yes. First , actually. I have since discovered (no joke) that I can configure it if I don't attach the coax untill I'm ready to power it up.

That can't be right. Can it???

Message 9 of 10
sweller
Aspirant

I suppose I can close this one out. Netgear finally agreed that something was NQR about that router and sent me a new one. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7