Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Gig internet slow wifi

Trevor780
Aspirant

Gig internet slow wifi

I have the nighthawk r7000

I have 1 gig internet but only get like 250 download on my wifi on my Samsung s10
And my 1 year old lap top

How can I make this faster.

I saw somthing about trying to down grade the firm ware but would not let me

But I did upgrade to the v1.11
And its not any better

Any help would be nice
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

You won't hit gigabit speeds over wifi. 

Usually wifi is limited to the device you're using and the area you're in. 

The R7000 can get its firmware downgraded. You simply download the firmware you want, extract it, and then follow the manual firmware update process. Do it over a hardwired connection and factory reset the router afterwards. 

Not saying this is going to help your speed bit it might 

Message 2 of 10
Kitsap
Master

There are lots of variables to affect wi-fi speed.  They range from the environment you are in to the device your are connecting to and to the speed test site you are using.  The environment includes the construction of the building and other equipment in the proximity that transmitts electromagnetic signals.

In general, if you obtain around a 100 Mbps download speed on the 2.4 GHz band and around a 300 Mbps download speed on the 5 GHz band you are as good as you are going to get.  Of course there are always exceptions and always someone trying to one-up your numbers.

You may need to adjust your expectations.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 10
Trevor780
Aspirant

I have cat6e wire from my service router to my nighthawk that sits behind my tv

I test my phone right by the night hawk
And get about 250

With the gig internet speed and hard wired right to it was hoping to hit 4 or 500 on my wifi when I'm standing next to it

Am I wrong?

How fast should the wifi get

Message 4 of 10
Trevor780
Aspirant

I read an old post that said the went to an older file I tried and it kept saying not the right file formate
Message 5 of 10
Kitsap
Master

Yes, you are in error to expect 400 to 500 Mbps wi-fi speeds.  See numbers in my previous post.  If you are presently getting 250 Mbps speeds, consider it good and stop while you are ahead.

When you download the previous firmware file, it comes in zipped format.  You have to unpack it from the zip file and place it on your computer in the uploadable format.  The stand alone file format is .chk.  You cannot upload to the router while still in the zip file.  Be sure and do not try to flash firmware over a wi-fi connection.  An extremely high probability of a bad result if you do.  Also remove any USB drives connected to the router before flashing the firmware.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 6 of 10
Trevor780
Aspirant

It is the chk file
And I'm doing it from the lap top hard wired to the router

The nighthawk

What is the fastest this can produce for wifi?

Long time ago I got 300
But dont know what happened

I went from the 600 speed to now the gig

Whats it take to get 400 wifi

New router?
Different brand?
Message 7 of 10
Kitsap
Master

In the world of wi-fi you are pretty much at the edge of the technology.  In general, if you obtain around a 100 Mbps download speed on the 2.4 GHz band and around a 300 Mbps download speed on the 5 GHz band you are as good as you are going to get. Direct through ethernet and a 1 gigabit option from your ISP you should get around 900 Mbps.

Not sure what you are trying to do that you think squeezing the last 50 Mbps out of wi-fi is going to help.

Do some research out on the web.  Google is your friend.  Don't forget, Madison Avenue type advertising has very few gurantees.  There are some good reviews and discussions here:  https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/.

Good luck.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 8 of 10
Trevor780
Aspirant

I'm not trying to do anything just trying to get the most out of it
They upgraded me to gig for 10 bucks more and the wifi is the same

So why pay the extra 10 is all.

I dont have anything using the hard wire is all.

My friend said he gets 400 at his house dont know if thats just from the providers route to wifi

I'll try that tonight stand beside it and see if there wifi is faster then the night hawk

If so ill move it upstairs and put the netgrear downstairs

And if no change ill cancel the upgrade its not needed then
Message 9 of 10
Trevor780
Aspirant

Well there moved the isp router up stairs and tried a speed test got

Went and tested in the basement got 200

Don't think I will need the netgear at this time.

Guess the net gear can't go as fast.
Thanks for the help
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7