Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Guest WiFi briefly disconnects every 22 sec

Guest WiFi briefly disconnects every 22 sec

My work Dell notebook periodically (every 22 sec) briefly disconnects from (and then immediately reconnects to) the guest WiFi network. This does not happen on the same router's regular WiFi network.

Router: R8000, firmware: 1.0.4.84.

Using Circle 1st Gen on the router (computer has filter = "None" in Circle).

Guest network is set via the web interface, each of the 3 bands has AES security and a distinct network name.

I experience the issue on the work Dell Windows 10 notebook. Every 22 sec the following bunch of events happens:

• Six same events are logged into the Windows events log, starting with event ID 8033 "The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{xxx} because a master browser was stopped"
  • CPU utilization in Task Manager goes up to 100% for ~5 sec, then returns back to the low level (the task manager won't show which process is responsible for the peak CPU utilization)
  • The Windows Wi-Fi status icon in the bottom-right of the screen briefly changes to the "globe" (no internet) and then immediately changes to "a segment with quarter-circles" (internet access)
  • If I'm on the WebEx call, incoming audio pauses for ~5 sec

Would appreciate any helpful thoughts.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Guest WiFi briefly disconnects every 22 sec

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Ensure the devices wifi adapter drivers are up to date. 

Is this the only device that does this? 

Is the guest network SSID name unique and different from the main SSID name? 

As a quick test, disable Security on the Guest Network and connect the device up, does it change the behavior any? Re-enable WPA2 and AES on the guest network after trying this. 

Is SIP ALG enabled or enabled on the router? 

Message 2 of 7

Answers:

• The NG router is connected to AT&T's modem/router combo BGW320-500 that I put into the "IP Passthrough / DHCP-fixed" mode. Both radios (2.4 / 5 GHz) are disabled.
  • Is this the only device that does this? - yes, only my work Dell Windows 10 notebook is affected.
  • Ensure the devices wifi adapter drivers are up to date - yes, I've just installed all "recommended" and "urgent" updates from Dell, not just for wifi adapter but all drivers. That hasn't fixed the issue.
  • Is the guest network SSID name unique and different from the main SSID name? - yes, not only guest and main SSIDs names are different, but all 3 radio bands SSIDs have unique names. Altogether, 6 different names.
  • As a quick test, disable Security on the Guest Network and connect the device up, does it change the behavior any? - No. This didn't help.
  • Is SIP ALG disabled or enabled on the router? - Enabled. I've temporarily disabled SIP ALG but that hasn't fixed the issue, so I enabled it back.
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like this adapter on this particular PC maybe bad. Even if you tested it with wifi security disabled and no other devices see this problem. I would refer you to the Mfr of this device for there support and information regarding it. Check to see if there is support options for this. 

Message 4 of 7

You undoubtedly heard about the Turing test in which "player C, the interrogator, is given the task of trying to determine which player – A or B – is a computer and which is a human."

So, how does my computer (or its network adapter) play "guest network test"? How does it distinguish whether it is connected to a guest network or to a regular network on the same router? What "test questions" does it ask every 22 seconds to tell one from the other?

Remember that my computer misbehaves only on the guest network.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

And if this is the only device that doesn't work well while others do, still points to this particular device. 

Message 6 of 7

I've tracked the problem to the router's guest network setting "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network". When it's "on", I have no problems. When it's "off", I have problems described in the OP.

And yes, it's just one particular computer. Why it is acting out depending on this network setting is beyond me.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7