Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: HELP | R7000 Router Cutting out

benthekul
Guide

HELP | R7000 Router Cutting out

Recently, my nighthawk R7000 router has been having frequent cut outs in the internet. I have tried every solution I found online, from changing my DNS servers to more advance means. The problem originally started two weeks ago, first with cut outs every few hours, and now as recent as every 5 minutes. Does anyone know any possible solutions?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

It was released in 2013 so it's actually going on 8 years old.
One option for people is there's a ton of 3rd party firmware for the r7000 if you do a little looking. You won't find it on the official forums though

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 18

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What firmware are you on? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Does it happen to all devices (wired/wireless) or just wireless?

Message 2 of 18
benthekul
Guide

I am on the latest firmware that being V1.0.11.116_10.2.100. I am connected to a Cablevision/Optimum Modem. The model for that is Arris TM1602 Docsis 3. And it happens to all devices. 

@plemans 

R7000

Message 3 of 18
benthekul
Guide

I have also attached an image of a screenshot. It shows a ping test I connected and you can see I get frequent cutouts when connecting to the DNS server of my choice. I have tried other DNS servers, and same thing. 

Message 4 of 18
cjmorris
Aspirant

I am having this same issue. Router lights just cut out. Router power light is orange and the Ethernet # I am using is also orange. I’ve already called my ISP 3 times and they said they don’t see anything on their end. It had to be the router but I can’t figure out a fix. Any help appreciated.
Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

You might try the 1.0.9.42 firmware. 

Install it over a hardwired connection. Then do a factory reset and clean install (not from backup)

Message 6 of 18
cjmorris
Aspirant

I reverted back to the 1.0.9.42 firmware as you suggested but it must've been too old of a version as my WIFI wouldn't work at all.  I'm now using 1.0.11.106.  I went back to 1.0.11.110 in the morning and then in the afternoon, it started cutting out again.  If these firmware reverts don't fix the problem, I'm not sure where else to go.  Any suggestions?

Message 7 of 18
plemans
Guru

when you did the downgrade, did you do it over a hardwired connection, then did a factory reset afterwards followed by a clean install (not from a backup configuration)?

Message 8 of 18
cjmorris
Aspirant

Yes, over hardwire connection.  Did not do a factory reset until after I installed the older firmware (since wireless wasn't working).  Is there a specific reason you are suggesting version 1.0.9.42?  I can go back and do the factory reset and clean install if there is a particular reason for that version.  Also, can you clarify clean install?  So once I DL the 1.0.9.42 firmware, I would factory reset (holding the reset button for 7 seconds) but how do I ensure a clean install?  Appreciate your help.

Message 9 of 18
antinode
Guru

> [...] must've been too old of a version as my WIFI wouldn't work at
> all. [...]

"must've"?  Or else there was some other reason.

> [...] Did not do a factory reset until after I installed the older
> firmware (since wireless wasn't working). [...]

That'd be a good reason to do it.  New firmware might have different
settings storage arrangements from those of old firmware.  The new stuff
should (and usually seems to) know how to convert old settings to any

new scheme.  Older firmware would not know do that for newer settings.

> [...] Is there a specific reason you are suggesting version 1.0.9.42?

It's an older version which had fewer bugs than many later versions.

> [...] can you clarify clean install? [...]

What he means (confusingly) is a manual configuration, rather than
restoring old settings from a previously saved configuration file.

Many people think of "install" as "connect the wires", and
"configure" as "do the configuration".  A few apparently do not.
(Repeatedly causing this kind of confusion.)

Message 10 of 18
benthekul
Guide

I reverted to all my previous firmwares. Everytime doing a 30/30/30 reset. Still can't find a solution. 

Message 11 of 18
cjmorris
Aspirant

I feel like reverting back to firmware’s is going down a rabbit hole. This many people with the same router shouldn’t be having the same issue. I have no other option but to just buy a different router.
Message 12 of 18
benthekul
Guide

@cjmorris Its unfortunate but it is a very popular router. Its showing its age at over five years old and Netgear could care less. Its only updates are for security really.

@cjmorris wrote:
I feel like reverting back to firmware’s is going down a rabbit hole. This many people with the same router shouldn’t be having the same issue. I have no other option but to just buy a different router.

Message 13 of 18
plemans
Guru

One option for people is there's a ton of 3rd party firmware for the r7000 if you do a little looking. You won't find it on the official forums though
Message 14 of 18
benthekul
Guide

@plemans wrote:

I just assumed considering my model's production date. I ended up doing just that with that by using a third party firwmare. It resolved my problems and I don't care about the warranty or repair considering if it does break (hardware-wise) ill just buy another router. In fact, do you have any recommendations for a router that could be an upgrade?

R7000

Message 15 of 18
plemans
Guru

I'm a fan of the R7800 but its an AC device and not AX. If you've got the R7000 back and running well, I'd hold off for a period for gen. 2 of AX routers. The first generation of a new spec is always a bit shaddy. 

Message 16 of 18
benthekul
Guide

@plemans wrote:

I'm a fan of the R7800 but its an AC device and not AX. If you've got the R7000 back and running well, I'd hold off for a period for gen. 2 of AX routers. The first generation of a new spec is always a bit shaddy. 

Is the gaming-line, the ones with dumaOS worth spending the extra money on? Heard its good though. 

Message 17 of 18
plemans
Guru

I've heard great things about dumaOS. I haven't had the fortune of using it so I can't speak to its benefits for your specific situation. 

If you game a lot, could certainly be worth it. The XR450-500 are solid routers and there's the new XR1000 (ax version) thats been released as well. 

@Netduma-Fraser Might be able to answer the DumaOS benefits better. 🙂 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7