Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Has routerlogin.net stopped working? I can no longer set up my Netgear routers

ksota29
Follower

Has routerlogin.net stopped working? I can no longer set up my Netgear routers

I have 5 NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk WiFi Routers connected by ethernet to a Comcast cable modem. I want them all set up as Access Points, so they serve IPs from the cable modem, and all share the same WiFi network name. I have been able to do this since I bought the routers in 2019.

A power outage reset one of them, and it came back online with the default Netgear settings. I used to be able to get into the modem by going to routerlogin.net
and then I could set the modem up as an "access point" and reboot it. Or I could get into it via http://192.168.0.1
. Or I could get into by logging into the modem's WiFi and then going to the IP of the modem (in the 10.0.0.XXX
range). The first two no longer work — I get to a advertising page for Netgear. The last no longer works, as the router doesn't respond.

I stupidly reset a second modem (paper clip in the hole) to see if this is a general problem, and now I can't set that modem up as an access point either.

Is the only solution to throw all five routers in the trash?

Message 1 of 5

Re: Has routerlogin.net stopped working? I can no longer set up my Netgear routers

@ksota29 wrote:

I have 5 NETGEAR R6700 Nighthawk WiFi Routers connected by ethernet to a Comcast cable modem.

What is that cable modem?

I want them all set up as Access Points, so they serve IPs from the cable modem, and all share the same WiFi network name. I have been able to do this since I bought the routers in 2019.

If it is not a modem/router, then you cannot use R6700s in AP mode. If it is just a modem, you might want to use one R6700  in router mode and the rest in AP mode, which means they are wired to the R6700 router.

You do not have to put them onto AP mode to use the same SSID. Giving them all the same SSID does not turn your network into Mesh wifi. Wifi clients will still have to negotiate a connection change when they  move between APs. Giving them all the same SSID could actually make that harder. Most moveable wifi clients should be able to move between different SSIDs without problems.

A power outage reset one of them, and it came back online with the default Netgear settings. I used to be able to get into the modem by going to routerlogin.net
and then I could set the modem up as an "access point" and reboot it. Or I could get into it via http://192.168.0.1

That is the default address for Netgear modems, for routers try http://192.168.1.1 .

To get a router into AP mode, reset it, disconnect it from the network, connect it to a PC that is also removed from tjhe network, change the mode and then add it back to the network.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I stupidly reset a second modem (paper clip in the hole) to see if this is a general problem, and now I can't set that modem up as an access point either.

You seem to have thrashed around a bit. Take a deep breath and start from the beginning with the modem.

Disconnect everything else, and connect to the modem with a LAN connection to a PC. Only you know what that modem is, and the IP address it is on.

When you have sorted that out, work on the Netgear devices one at a time.

After you have put every device int the right mode, start the network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem/router.
  • Turn off APs and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem/router. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the APs one at a time and wait for them to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 5
Kitsap
Master

Re: Has routerlogin.net stopped working? I can no longer set up my Netgear routers

As you work your way through your access points, assign each a unique static IP address and note the physical location.  That way you can easily access the user interface at a later time using the IP address and not routerlogin.net.

Message 3 of 5

@Kitsap wrote:

As you work your way through your access points, assign each a unique static IP address and note the physical location.  That way you can easily access the user interface at a later time using the IP address and not routerlogin.net.

Excellent thinking.

This is something that you can do this on the page where you set the mode. But it may be hidden.

Click the AP Mode icon and this should pop up:

michaelkenward_0-1687971456783.png

Ignore the "(not recommended)" warning.

An alternative is to "Reserve" an IP address in your router's settings.

Maybe @Kitsap can suggest which is better. I've used both and don't notice much difference. The result is the same, an IP address that you don't have to hunt down.

Message 4 of 5
Kitsap
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

Maybe @Kitsap can suggest which is better. I've used both and don't notice much difference. The result is the same, an IP address that you don't have to hunt down.

Since you are dealing with a Comcast router with very little configuration control upstream, set a fixed IP address in each of your access points.

PS:  Add the access point serial numbers to your list of IP addresses and physical locations.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series