Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Have a Nighthawk C7000v2 AC1900

TBoy1
Aspirant

Have a Nighthawk C7000v2 AC1900

Need to extend wifi signal to two of the 4 upstairs bedrooms. The Router is in the basement den and does a great job for the basement and second floor. However the third floor where the bedrooms are located is only good in one bedroom. I could move the router to the second floor but it would be next to a TV. Looking for suggestions for a good Netgear extender to place in the hall of the 3rd floor where the wifi signal is decent. Thanks

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: Have a Nighthawk C7000v2 AC1900

@TBoy1 wrote:

as it might interfere with the signal.

You've put your finger on the key issue there, "might" could also be one of those "cover your rear" warnings that suppliers of electronic stuff like to toss around.

Test your inner scientist and see if it really does interfere.

What is it behind the TV that connects the TV  router to the Internet? Ethernet wiring?

I'm with @plemans. If possible avoid adding another box to the network.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies

@TBoy1 wrote:

Need to extend wifi signal to two of the 4 upstairs bedrooms. The Router is in the basement den ....

Probably the worst place to put a WiFi source.

I could move the router to the second floor but it would be next to a TV.

Good idea, as long as the WiFi still gets to the basement.

What's the problem with the TV being there? They aren't likely to interfere with each other. You could even plug the TV into the router, if it has that feature.

Looking for suggestions for a good Netgear extender to place in the hall of the 3rd floor where the wifi signal is decent. Thanks

Start here and plug in your needs:

WiFi Boosters & Extenders | Wifi Range Extenders | NETGEAR

More help here on cable modem/routers like your C7000v2:

Cable Modems & Gateways - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

You'd be better off to centrally locate the C7000. 

How much actual area is it? 

Reason I ask is if you can centrally locate the C7000, its better to go that route versus adding an extender. 

But if you can't then I'd recommend looking at the triband extenders. Their dedicated backhaul keeps their throughput higher and latency lower than the single/dual band extenders. 

Message 3 of 6
TBoy1
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. Use to have a TV in the basement but kids are gone and no longer have one there. Really not too concerned over wifi down in basement. My second story access point is behind a 50 inch TV.   I can place the router beside the TV but I read the router needs to be 6 feet from the TV. as it might interfere with the signal.

Thanks again

Message 4 of 6
TBoy1
Aspirant

Each story of the house is approximately 1000 square feet. Thanks I really don't want to add an extender unless necessary. I will follow your advice and move the router to the second floor. I only was concerned that I would have to use a splitter from the access point with one cable going to the TV box and one cable going to the wifi router.

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 6

@TBoy1 wrote:

as it might interfere with the signal.

You've put your finger on the key issue there, "might" could also be one of those "cover your rear" warnings that suppliers of electronic stuff like to toss around.

Test your inner scientist and see if it really does interfere.

What is it behind the TV that connects the TV  router to the Internet? Ethernet wiring?

I'm with @plemans. If possible avoid adding another box to the network.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7