Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Help - Nighthawk R7000 Speed for WAN and Internal LAN

dwhiting1985
Guide

Help - Nighthawk R7000 Speed for WAN and Internal LAN

Hello everyone, I have a small question. I would like to know what are the achieveable speeds of the R7000? For example...When transferring between to LAN devices, I am getting speeds of at max around 580Mb/s...This has nothing to do with the WAN Port because its all LAN computers and devices....But when U am doing this LAN transfering at these speeds I then do lets say a speed test on Speedtest . net the LAN transfer drops significantly and my internet speeds from the WAN Port are slower than normal. Is this normal? I have heard or read somwhere that the R7000 has a MAX speed of about 580Mb/s at the WAN port, but that should not affect the LAN when im doing a speed test. Am I correct? Thanks for the responses in advance. Ill galdly give any more inforrmation that is needed to help...

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi dwhiting1985,

The routers WAN port is capable of gigabit connection. It should not be a problem if you have 200 Mbps. By the way, what is the firmware version of your router? Do you experience same issue when the computer is connected to the modem and when it reaches the 580Mb connection? You may need to check your modem as it might be an issue or limitation from ISP. Try to disable as well the QoS setup.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

are you using 3 different devices .....2 for lan test and a 3rd for speedtest

Message 2 of 8
dwhiting1985
Guide

No I have not tried that. I will try that when I am home and see what kind of speeds I get.

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

If you're looking to split hairs then ALL network devices except for the one running the test should be off when running a speedtest. The device running the test should NOT be running lan test while also conducting a speedtest.

Message 4 of 8
dwhiting1985
Guide

yes this i understand. But what im getting at is if im playing online gaming or watching a movie over the DLNA and Im also downloading large files at the same time the internet slows down when I do too much. I have a 200Mb connection download speed for my home internet. and that slows down when the max of 580Mb is hit in the router. thats my question. is 580 the max speed period of the router? 

Message 5 of 8
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Are the devices using WiFi or hard wired?

Message 6 of 8
dwhiting1985
Guide

all hard wired. i do know never use wifi for any type of speed testing. So your answer is all devices are Hard Wired 🙂

Message 7 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi dwhiting1985,

The routers WAN port is capable of gigabit connection. It should not be a problem if you have 200 Mbps. By the way, what is the firmware version of your router? Do you experience same issue when the computer is connected to the modem and when it reaches the 580Mb connection? You may need to check your modem as it might be an issue or limitation from ISP. Try to disable as well the QoS setup.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7