Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help - Nighthawk R7000 fails to provide gibabit speed

Martin1234
Tutor

Help - Nighthawk R7000 fails to provide gibabit speed

Hi

Until recently my R7000 provided lan speeds of 1Gbps but now is only running at 100Mbps. I have not made any changes to it and this is for cable and wifi connections. My ISP (VirginMedia) is providing a 200Mbps speed via cable and if I plug this directly into my PC I get the full speed, however, when it goes via the R7000 I can only get about 94Mbps and the NIC sets itself to 100Mbps. I have updated to the latest firmware but this did not help so did a factory reset, again no help.

Any ideas would be most welcome

Martin

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: Help - Nighthawk R7000 fails to provide gibabit speed

What does the router report as your port speeds for your LAN ports to your laptop and desktop?

It all depends on your latop's NIC card, its respective drivers and the cable type. Do not use CAT5 ETherent. It will only give 100Mbps.. Use CAT5e or better.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
netwrks
Master

What port speed is displayed between the router and the modem? If your WAN port speed is at 100Mbps try a new cable between the router and modem ( I would suggest CAT6 Ethernet). If that does not work trying inserting a unmanaged gigabit switch between the router and modem and re-test.

Message 2 of 9
Martin1234
Tutor

If I plug the cable from my modem directly into my PC I can get the correct speed from my ISP of 200Mbps but if it goes via the R7000 it is reduced to a 100Mbps connection and about 94Mbps speed. This was all working fine until about 2 weeks ago. Its not PC specific because I get the same issue on desktop and laptop alike.

Ah... I was using both laptop and desktop on wired connections (not the same one), have just tried my laptop on WiFi and get a 300Mbps port speed to the router and an internet speed of 200Mbps which is what it should be. So the problem is only on a wired LAN connection via the R7000 as wired dirrect from the modem is fine. Is there any setting in the R7000 that could be slowing down the port speed?

Message 3 of 9
netwrks
Master

What does the router report as your port speeds for your LAN ports to your laptop and desktop?

It all depends on your latop's NIC card, its respective drivers and the cable type. Do not use CAT5 ETherent. It will only give 100Mbps.. Use CAT5e or better.  

Message 4 of 9
Martin1234
Tutor

Hi

All the cables are rated Cat5e - this was all working fine two weeks ago and nothing has been changed since then.

Where in the router will I find the port speeds for the connected devices?

thanks

Martin

Message 5 of 9
rpoffen
Virtuoso

The easiest thing to look at are the LAN port status lights on the router. If they are amber, it is 100Mbps, if it is white it is 1 Gpbs

Message 6 of 9
netwrks
Master

Have a look at the manual. Page 124-125

Message 7 of 9
netwrks
Master

@rpoffen wrote:

The easiest thing to look at are the LAN port status lights on the router. If they are amber, it is 100Mbps, if it is white it is 1 Gpbs

Right.. It's been a while. I use mine as an AP and have the ports set to stealth mode, with other fw.. 

Message 8 of 9
Martin1234
Tutor

I can't believe it - 2 faulty cables! In two weeks!

I think I may invest in CAT6 and just replace the lot

Many thanks

Martin

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7