Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to force the client to roam at a specific signal

AliMazloum
Aspirant

How to force the client to roam at a specific signal

I am trying to force my phone to roam from one R9000 to another. I read about 802.11v protocol, and I understood that the AP can send the phone a signal to disconnect from it along with the list of recommended APs. Is there a way to forge the disconnection signal?

Currenly, I have two R9000 APs and one ASUS Rog phone. Do I have to install a controller, or do the APs communicate directly?

Thank you,

Ali

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your using the R9000s in AP mode then they are connected via ethernet. Wireless is using separate signals and channels. They do communicate wirelessly between each other. 

You'll need to contact the Mfr of the phone to ask them how it handles connections, wifi signals and it's roaming features. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Its up to devices to pick and choose where they connect and how they roam. Something that can't be configured on NG routers. 

You can help some by lowering the transmit power on the routers from 100% to say 50% may help. 

Message 2 of 12
AliMazloum
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer. Can I use a WLC to enforce the phone to roam? 

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to check to see if it works for you or not. Contact the Mfr for that product and ask about it. 

Message 4 of 12
AliMazloum
Aspirant

I was reading through your setup, and I noticed that you are using a modem as well as a wireless backhaul. Can we replace the modem with a backhaul as the role of the backhaul is to connect with the core network?

Again, thanks for your available time replying to my questions. 

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Brand and model modem do you have now? 

To get backhaul support you'll need a MESH system. 

Message 6 of 12
AliMazloum
Aspirant

Actually I am interested in doing research in this area and as you already notices, I still need too much to understand. My only goal is to force the phone to roam according to my order and not according to its implemented algorithm.

Going back to your question, I am using two Nighthawk x10 AD7200 smart WiFi routers (Model R9000) and an ASUS ROG phone. 

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Brand and model ISP modem do you have? 

Using Two R9000 doesn't offer MESH or wireless backhaul support.

NGs MK series or Orbi systems offer wireless backhaul support:

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/

Message 8 of 12
AliMazloum
Aspirant

I am not using any Internet provider. All what I am doing is to find a way to move the phone from one AP to the other forcefully. The two APs do not have an access to the Internet. 

In my deployment, I do not require backhaul support.

I have another question: how are these APs communicating when the phone is roaming between them? Can the two APs communicate wirelessly to move the already established session between them? Or should exist a WLC to handle the session handover?

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

IF your using the R9000s in AP mode then they are connected via ethernet. Wireless is using separate signals and channels. They do communicate wirelessly between each other. 

You'll need to contact the Mfr of the phone to ask them how it handles connections, wifi signals and it's roaming features. 

Message 10 of 12
AliMazloum
Aspirant

Ok deal, thank you.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors