Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I cannot connect to steam and world of tanks, But I can connect to every other site and server.

ElDakaTiger
Aspirant

I cannot connect to steam and world of tanks, But I can connect to every other site and server.

So how do I fix my router so that it will allow my pc to connect to steam and to world of tanks? I am a A+ certified computer technician and hold hardware certifications with several companies, yet everything I have tried has failed. So I am asking for help.

Thanks,

Ed M.

Router : R8000
Modem: NETGEAR CM500-100NAS DOCSIS 3.0 High Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: I cannot connect to steam and world of tanks, But I can connect to every other site and server.

I agree, especially since you said that it doesn't work when connected directly to the modem. That's proof that the router is not involved.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: I cannot connect to steam and world of tanks, But I can connect to every other site and server.

Have you tried ping and traceroute?
Message 2 of 11
ElDakaTiger
Aspirant

Ping to both sites works fine, tracert is timing out before the first gateway. I tested doing an update on a pc only connected by WIFI and it worked fine.

I think it has to do with LAN connection's only so config problems, or the hardware itself is at fault.

Message 3 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Are you saying that you can connect to steam over Wi-Fi, but not over Ethernet?  That's very strange.

It's also unusual for ping to succeed and traceroute to fail, though it's not unheard of.  Sometimes, ISPs block traceroute packets in their network. But if your router is the first gateway, then it should be responding to traceroutes.  Can you post your ping and traceroute output?

Message 4 of 11
ElDakaTiger
Aspirant

connection issues..jpg

Message 5 of 11
ElDakaTiger
Aspirant

connection issues2..jpg

Message 6 of 11
ElDakaTiger
Aspirant

They did go through today, but not after timing out. I can get to the websites for the programs but the programs are not going through.

Message 7 of 11
TheEther
Guru

It's odd to see so many non responsive hops for traceroute, but the final hop is responding, so that means the router should be working.

Have you tried connecting your PC directly to the modem? Does that work?

Do you have or does Stream require any port forwarding?

You could try doing a factory reset of the R8000 and see if that helps.
Message 8 of 11
ElDakaTiger
Aspirant

It's odd to see so many non responsive hops for traceroute, but the final hop is responding, so that means the router should be working.
I also had an issue when the ISP came out and also noted the same dozen+ hops to the first gate, so I don't know if it has anything to do with this or not.

Have you tried connecting your PC directly to the modem? Does that work?

I tried it last night and it didn't work but I will try again.

Do you have or does Stream require any port forwarding?

It hasn't in the past, but I will try it and see what happens.

You could try doing a factory reset of the R8000 and see if that helps.

That was the first thing I tried. Smiley Frustrated
Message 9 of 11
ElDakaTiger
Aspirant

I borrowed my roomates laptop and plugged in ethernet directly into the router and it worked fine. Even did a tracert and didnt drop, so I think it has to do with my PC.  I will try system restore, if that doesn't work then I will reformat.

Message 10 of 11
TheEther
Guru

I agree, especially since you said that it doesn't work when connected directly to the modem. That's proof that the router is not involved.
Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7