Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IP range mixup

manjulapra
Aspirant

IP range mixup

Hi,

Recently switched my modem. Got a ATT modem+router. Did a passthrough and configured the network. When I hooked up, router picked 10.0.0.1 as the IP range, probably due to a conflict before I set the passthrough but I am fine with it. All devices connected and working fine, except:

One Amcrest camera and my PiHole is given it's previous IP addresses starting with 192.168.1.x.I don't know why their IP addresses did not automatically change. All the other devices have 10.0.0.x IP addresses.  I wanted to give 10.0.0.x IP for the camera and PiHole but can't fine a way how.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
manjulapra
Aspirant

Re: IP range mixup

Thanks for the help. I was able to resolve by configuring a different IP range for the modem. It seems the ATT modem does not function just as a modem. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Did you unplug these devices and then plug them in again?

What firmware is on the router?

If your modem is in bridge mode, the router should use its default 192.168.1.1 address

Message 2 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] Got a ATT modem+router. [...]

Not a very detailed description.  Maker?  Model number?

> [...] When I hooked up, router picked 10.0.0.1 as the IP range,
> probably due to a conflict before I set the passthrough [...]

Plausible.

> [...] but I am fine with it.

Apparently not.

> [...] I don't know why their IP addresses did not automatically
> change. [...]

Only one of us was there when their addresses were assigned.

> [...] I wanted to give 10.0.0.x IP for the camera and PiHole but can't
> fine a way how.

To me, that sounds like a camera and/or Pi-hole question, not a
router question.

If your (unspecified) a ATT modem+router really isn't occupying the
"192.168.1.*" subnet now, then why not configure the R7800 to use it,
and stop worrying about the camera and Pi-hole?

Message 3 of 13

@microchip8 wrote:

If your modem is in bridge mode, the router should use its default 192.168.1.1 address

To add to what @microchip8 says, the fact that your router opted for 10.0.0.1 is an indicator that it probably saw another router when you set up the R7800.

Netgear's setup process tries to be intelligent and looks for anything squatting on 192.168.1.1. If it find something, it tries to avoid conflicts, as you surmised, and latches on to 10.0.0.1.

You can avoid this by putting whatever sits in front of the R7800 into modem-only (bridge) mode.

And when messing around with things do remember to start things in the specified order.

As this is a router, there is probably a modem sitting in front of it. You need to get the devices to forget any inherited settings. Among other things, that means rebooting the network.

Power cuts usually take out both the modem and the router on a network. When the power comes back on, they may start up in the wrong order, with the router starting before the modem is ready. That means that they get confused about which is in charge.

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

There's quite a lot of traffic here from people using PiHoles, so a search might be useful.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – PiHole

Message 4 of 13
manjulapra
Aspirant

Thanks for the messages. I ATT Router model model is BGW320-505

The ATT router is occupying 192.168. range. I am not certain how to turn that off. Do I thrun off DHCP Server?

See the attached image

Thank you again!

Message 5 of 13

@manjulapra wrote:

The ATT router is occupying 192.168. range. I am not certain how to turn that off. Do I thrun off DHCP Server?

See the attached image

Try this:

bgw320-505 bridge mode - Google Search

Not all modem/routers (or gateways) let you use modem only mode. But those search results might help.

Message 6 of 13
manjulapra
Aspirant

Thanks. I did read most of these pages but couldn't find information about enabling or disabling the DHCP Server.

I am not sure why Netgear router assigned an out of range IP to the camera. Anybody has an answer to that?

Message 7 of 13

@manjulapra wrote:

I am not sure why Netgear router assigned an out of range IP to the camera.

I doubt if it did that. You should be able to tell the camera to use whatever IP address you like.

Netgear hasn't picked anything "illegal". It is just following the rules. 10.0.0.1  is "a reserved IP address for the private network of class A".

10.0.0.1 as the IP range - Google Search

You might do better to talk yo the people who made the cameras:

IP Config Software – Amcrest

@manjulapra wrote:

Thanks. I did read most of these pages but couldn't find information about enabling or disabling the DHCP Server.

Probably the wrong question. Investigate "bridge mode".

Message 8 of 13
antinode
Guru

> The ATT router is occupying 192.168. range. I am not certain how to
> turn that off. Do I thrun off DHCP Server?

If those settings are active, then "Did a passthrough" seems not to
be true.  Or your definition of "passthrough" doesn't match the usual
one.

Presumably, there are instructions someplace for configuring the
BGW320-505 as a modem-only ("bridge" mode).  Disabling its DHCP server
would not stop its router from functioning, which is what you want.

> I did read most of these pages [...]

Thanks for the helpful links.  With my weak psychic powers, I can't
see what you read.

> [...] but couldn't find information about enabling or disabling the
> DHCP Server.

Forget about the DHCP server on the BGW320-505.  How to disable it
looks pretty obvious to me on the picture you provided, but, as stated
above: Disabling its DHCP server would not stop its router from
functioning, which is what you want.

> I am not sure why Netgear router assigned an out of range IP to the
> camera. Anybody has an answer to that?

Why blame the Netgear router for that?

>    Only one of us was there when their addresses were assigned.

Still true.

> Probably the wrong question. [...]

Not "Probably"; _certainly_.

Message 9 of 13
manjulapra
Aspirant

Thanks all for the replies. I am not blaming anyone. Also, this is not a camera or a PiHole question. 

After reading through the forums it seems I have done the bridging correctly. Netgear router is getting the Public IP assigned and correctly connect with all the devices through 10.0.0.x IP range.

I can't seem to understand why only two devices are given 192.168.1.x range by the Netgear router. I can see the device with it's IP in the devices list page. That range is not accessible for the rest of the network. 

I want to give the camera a 10.0.0.x IP. My simple question is, can I change the IP given to a device and assign an IP by myself? If I can, can someone help me find where I can do that!

Thanks again for the all the help.

Message 10 of 13

@manjulapra wrote:

Also, this is not a camera or a PiHole question. 

So why did you mention them as the problem? I thought they were what you were trying to sort out.

Throwing irrelevant details into the conversation only gets in the way.

Can you tell us what is the problem?

@manjulapra wrote:

After reading through the forums it seems I have done the bridging correctly. Netgear router is getting the Public IP assigned and correctly connect with all the devices through 10.0.0.x IP range.

If you have done the bridging correctly nothing will get an address in the 10.0.0.x IP range.

Do it right, restart the network as specified and everything will get an 192.168.1.x address.

That's because your modem will be inactive as a router – that's what bridge mode means – and there will be nothing there to allocate  10.0.0.x addresses.

It may be that your router remembers the old arrangement. Reset it and restart everything and you may restore your sanity.

@manjulapra wrote:

I want to give the camera a 10.0.0.x IP. My simple question is, can I change the IP given to a device and assign an IP by myself?

You want the router to give it an IP address? Or it has an IP address that you want the router to use?

Did you ever read the manual for the R7800?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the sections in the manual Specify the IP Addresses That the Router Assigns and Manage Reserved LAN IP Addresses
You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Somehow I don't think that will get you very far. They answer your question, but it is probably the wrong question.

Message 11 of 13
manjulapra
Aspirant

Thanks for the help. I was able to resolve by configuring a different IP range for the modem. It seems the ATT modem does not function just as a modem. 

Message 12 of 13

@manjulapra wrote:

It seems the ATT modem does not function just as a modem. 

As suspected. Too many Internet service providers have a "we know better" strategy. It makes life easier for them, but harder for everyone else.

This is one reason why experienced users like to buy separate modems and routers. Even then ISPs can make life difficult.

It looks like your BGW320-505 is intended for optical networks. These are still relatively new so there isn't as much experience here on those as there is for cable and DSL.

Conversations out in the WWW suggests that you are not the only one who has struggled with these devices.

It might help other victims of you described what you did to fix the problem, and then marked it with Accept as Solution.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7