Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internal concrete walls - do any Netgear Routers/Extenders support 802.11k?

arloman2
Follower

Internal concrete walls - do any Netgear Routers/Extenders support 802.11k?

I'm currently using a primary router / access point with two additional routers set up as range extender access points (AP).  These are configured for 2.4GHz only with connections to 300Mbps.  All are using the same SSID but each AP is using a different channel.  Having the routers on different channels provides reasonable handoff between the APs.

What I'm in the process of doing is upgrading to 802.11ac and MU-MIMO.  That means using both 2.4GHz and 5GHz for substantially faster wireless connections.  The clients are now ready for me to upgrade the APs.  And, all the "mobile" clients (smartphones and tablets) support 802.11k (AP List on Device), 802.11r (FT = fast basic service set transition) and 802.11v (BSS = basis service set transition management).

The only router I've found that I can confirm supports 802.11k and 802.11r (but not 802.11v) is the Cisco Meraki MR42.  See https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_datasheet_MR42.pdf.  But, this is massive overkill for my needs (not to mention the intiial cost and the ongoing license fees).  The other possibilities seem to be the mesh networks provided by Eero or Luma.

Do any of Netgear's Routers and Extenders provide support for seamless fast handoffs?  Do any use the 802.11k 802.11r and 802.11v standards to support this?  What about R8500 primary with EX7300 extenders?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Internal concrete walls - do any Netgear Routers/Extenders support 802.11k?

I don't think any of Netgear's Routers and Extenders support seamless fast handoff.

Doing some research, I found that the Wi-Fi Alliance has a Voice Enterprise certification that requires support for 802.11k, 802.11r and 802.11v (helpful link with whitepaper).  You can search their database for products that have received this certification.  Here is the list of routers (link).

Note: There is a Voice Personal certification, too.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Re: Internal concrete walls - do any Netgear Routers/Extenders support 802.11k?

I don't think any of Netgear's Routers and Extenders support seamless fast handoff.

Doing some research, I found that the Wi-Fi Alliance has a Voice Enterprise certification that requires support for 802.11k, 802.11r and 802.11v (helpful link with whitepaper).  You can search their database for products that have received this certification.  Here is the list of routers (link).

Note: There is a Voice Personal certification, too.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7