Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Internet dropsNighthawk X8 R8500

Pchrist
Aspirant

Internet dropsNighthawk X8 R8500

Every few days our internet connection on the router just drops and doesn't come back till we reboot the router. Any ideas or suggestions as to what it could be? Running firmware 1.0.2.144

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

What modem is it connected to? 

When it drops, are you still able to access the router? 

Are you able to ping/access the modem when it drops? 

Message 2 of 8
Pchrist
Aspirant

Our town has fiber internet comes right into the house to router. It says connected to router but when i go to the nighthawk app it won't connect to the router. When i try to remote access from my phone on cellular, it also won't connect. We reboot it and it is back up no issues.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Whats that fibre connected to? (since the R8500 doesn't have a fibre input)

Message 4 of 8
Pchrist
Aspirant

Town provides a box outside that turns it from fiber to network cable. It's outside so not sure it's a modem but it must be of some sort.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Have you checked with the ISP to see if they require any specific settings with their service and ONT? 

Message 6 of 8
Sprucedust
Initiate

Yeah i also experienced the same issue... i looked online and i found that a lot of people had the same issue with the newest firmware update version v1.0.2.144 i literally just finished reverting to the old firmware version v1.0.2.130 we'll see how it goes... but yeah i was experiencing wifi drops on my iphone and i had to constantly turn off and on the wifi on my phone just to get it to work again... i tried firmware version v1.0.2.134 and i had the same issues so i went back one further to v1.0.2.130 hopefully this firmware works better! but yeah i only had problems with the wifi not when i connected via ethernet cable... but yeah something is definetly wrong with the newer firmwares for the Nighthawk x8 R8500 i never had those issues before... hopefully this helps! 

Message 7 of 8
Marqucd
Aspirant

I updated my R8500 last week because the app indicated a firmware update.  Bricked it.  Now I've had nothing but internet issues.  Dropping, won't connect, interferring with other devices on the internet.  Finally I unplugged it and switched to my Google mesh system and problems gone.

Netgear - either fix your firmware or expect sales to drop.

@Sprucedust wrote:

Yeah i also experienced the same issue... i looked online and i found that a lot of people had the same issue with the newest firmware update version v1.0.2.144 i literally just finished reverting to the old firmware version v1.0.2.130 we'll see how it goes... but yeah i was experiencing wifi drops on my iphone and i had to constantly turn off and on the wifi on my phone just to get it to work again... i tried firmware version v1.0.2.134 and i had the same issues so i went back one further to v1.0.2.130 hopefully this firmware works better! but yeah i only had problems with the wifi not when i connected via ethernet cable... but yeah something is definetly wrong with the newer firmwares for the Nighthawk x8 R8500 i never had those issues before... hopefully this helps! 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7