Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet light goes amber on R7000

Wayne1938
Tutor

Internet light goes amber on R7000

The internet light will change from white to amber and I have no internet access through the router. This has happened 3 times.
The 1st two times I had to do a hard reset though the hole in the back of the router, re-enter my settings and it worked fine for a few days.
The last time that didn't work.
I spoofed the computers MAC address like Netgear support said, still no go.
Went through the genie trouble shooting steps and entered the MAC address from the router box manually and now it's working again?
Something is not right with this router. I don't want to have to keep doing this.
I have V1.0.3.60_1.1.27 firmware, but it did it with a earlier version.
Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 31

Accepted Solutions
Wayne1938
Tutor

Re: Internet light goes amber on R7000

Thanks Sir buzz and Dshed.
Will check the traffic control settings.
My modem is a Motorola 6141 which I will be changing to a Arris/Motorola 6183 when the modem is released for retail in a couple weeks.
The amber light thing came back 3 hours ago. This time I had to take the router totally out of the loop, do a hard re-set, let it set for an hour to get it going again.
I bought the R7000 through Dell using a couple of their discount coupons, about 6 months ago.so called them to get a good number for Netgear warranty and replacement.
Much to my surprise, even though it was past their normal 30 day replacement period, they are going to send me a new R7000 early next week.
I really like this router as I get range on the 2.4, 5.0 and AC bands I didn't think possible, but this amber light thing is getting very frustrating.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 31

All Replies
rdh91007
Guide

Who is your ISP?

What kind of Internet Connection, PPPOE, DHCP?

When you lose Internet Connection what does the router Status Show?

Have you tried to reconnect using the Router's Web Interface?

Does the Router reconnect if you power cycle?
Message 2 of 31
Wayne1938
Tutor

1 Comcast is my ISP.
2 Connection is DHCP.
3 It shows no internet connection.
4 Yes, Won't reconnect.
5 No. I tried that several times doing the power cycle, it didn't help.

A friends son works for Comcast and I was telling him about the problem. He said they were aware of weird problems with Netgear routers when IPV6 was enabled. I didn't have IPV6 enabled.
Message 3 of 31
sir_bazz
Guide

Check your Traffic Control options.

When the monthly limit is reached
- Turn the Internet LED to flashing green/amber
- Disconnect and disable the Internet connection

I use the first option to change my Internet LED to flashing white/amber when monthly limit has been reached but the second option would likely cause the symptoms you're seeing.
Message 4 of 31
dshed
Aspirant

Hi Wayne,

I am also a Comcast customer, and I have experienced the issue with loss of Internet connectivity with the R7000. I reported the problem to Netgear support, but I haven't received a response. I also swapped out my router via the RMA process, but the replacement router with a significantly newer build date exhibits the same problem.

There was a thread reporting this problem a long time ago. If I recall correctly, the user that reported the problem was using the same cable modem that I use. It's an Arris model TM 722G voice and data modem. Prior to purchasing the R7000, I used the same Arris modem with routers from Cisco/Linksys and Asus, and I never had the Ethernet random disconnect problem with either of the previous routers. The issue may be specific to this combination of modem and router.

When I lose the Internet connection, the Internet LED goes amber and all connectivity between the modem and router is lost. Several reboots of both the modem and router and disconnecting/reconnecting the cable between them are sometimes needed in order to restore the connection.

In the old thread, at least one user said that Arris and Netgear were aware of the problem and that it should be fixed in a future firmware update, but I haven't heard anything firma as far as when or even if there will be a fix.

Thanks,

Dshed
Message 5 of 31
Wayne1938
Tutor

Thanks Sir buzz and Dshed.
Will check the traffic control settings.
My modem is a Motorola 6141 which I will be changing to a Arris/Motorola 6183 when the modem is released for retail in a couple weeks.
The amber light thing came back 3 hours ago. This time I had to take the router totally out of the loop, do a hard re-set, let it set for an hour to get it going again.
I bought the R7000 through Dell using a couple of their discount coupons, about 6 months ago.so called them to get a good number for Netgear warranty and replacement.
Much to my surprise, even though it was past their normal 30 day replacement period, they are going to send me a new R7000 early next week.
I really like this router as I get range on the 2.4, 5.0 and AC bands I didn't think possible, but this amber light thing is getting very frustrating.
Message 6 of 31
Wayne1938
Tutor

I got the new R7000 from Dell today. From how easy this was to get online and get setup I think the first one had problems from the beginning.
It took 2 or 3 tries for the one I sent back to get online and setup. The new one was a snap the first time.
Message 7 of 31
jfmoen
Aspirant

Found out internt LED flashing Green and amber is caused by The Traffic meter in advanced setting... just turn it off....and all green
Message 8 of 31
infoone
Novice

Also..... If your modem/router(s) are showing a Gb link in their web interfaces, but you are still getting that amber light, it may be that you have the R7000 set to get its IP from DHCP, and it is failing. I had my R7000 set up with a static IP before I switched it to AP mode (with DHCP IP), and it kept the old address and failed to get a new one. The web interfaces all shows 1000m/full, but the light stayed amber. I switched it to static, and the light went white/blue.
Message 9 of 31
RickInJax
Aspirant

Hi all:
I have the same amber light problem. It happens on any port I plug the cable into.
I have a GB router and everything was working fine last week.
I changed to static IP from the ISP but still have the amber light only on the cable to the 1 GB router from the R7000.

Any additional suggestions?
I am on Comcast with 50+ Mbps connection.

thanks
rick
Message 10 of 31
Fairytail
Virtuoso

RickInJax, Can yuo verify if the amber lights happens on LAN ports or WAN port? If it is on WAN/Internet port then the router is not getting an internet connection from the modem. If it is on LAN ports, it means that the device connected to the port has 10/100Mbps connection for local.
Message 11 of 31
RickInJax
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply minions08:
The WAN/internet port is white.
The LAN port going to my GB switch is now Amber. It was white ever since I installed the R7000 last week. When I change my cable to another port, that port shows Amber as well.

I restarted all devices, cable modem, R7000 and the GB speed switch.

I connect on a different R7000 LAN port to my laptop and it has the white light. Comcast speeds using my laptop are 60Mbps, so the signal appears to be pretty good.

I need to take my laptop to my Switch and plug in the network cable before it hits the switch to see what will happen to my R7000 light.
I can also retest my cable to see if for some reason it does not certify any longer.

Thanks
rick
Message 12 of 31
RickInJax
Aspirant

CORRECTION:
Sorry... I installed the R7000 last June and the LAN port to my GB switch has been white up until last week.
Message 13 of 31
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sometimes Auto-negotiation simply fails and in the case of routers there’s not a lot you can do about it because the LAN ports are not user configurable.
Message 14 of 31
couchie
Aspirant

I have been afflicted with the same issue. My network has been working just fine and suddenly last night *poof*. Too tired to dig around on it, I started looking this morning.

1) ALL network traffic has come to screeching halt. LAN and WAN. I can't connect locally to or from either my Plex server or my web server siting on the LAN.
2) A check of the connectivity reveals the router is not grabbing any info from DHCP from the ISP (Time Warner via Motorola SB6141). All 0s in IP, SN, DNS, etc.
3) Connecting a laptop directly to the modem reveals a normal connection to the world.
4) Several cycles of both the modem and router have not resolved the issue.
5) The internet connection light on the router is neither steady on or steady off. Instead, it is red, but flashing sporadically as if there were traffic
6) I have disconnect every machine on the network from the router - still same story.

At this point, I can only try a hard reset of the router to return to factory settings.

Any other suggestions?
Message 15 of 31
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Can you get into the router Genie interface? If so, then maybe all that is needed is for you to clone the MAC address of your PC into your router. I know that many Comcast regions tie the router authentication to the MAC address of the first device that was used to setup the internet service. Rather than call your provider to change that, routers have the ability to clone the PC MAC address so it advertises the MAC address that the ISP expects.
Message 16 of 31
mondenath
Prodigy

As mentioned check with traffic control option. Do set the limit twice allowed by your ISP to see if the issue is resolved. Its the only thing that can cause.
Message 17 of 31
Ldyluk10
Aspirant

Ok I am experiencing the same problem but I am not tech savvy at all and have no idea what you guys are telling each other to do to fix it. I just received a new R7000 today through the RMA process and it still goes Amber with no connection. It's really making me mad and frustrated. Can anyone explain how to fix this in laymen terms? I also have an Arris modem from Charter.
Message 18 of 31
JamesGL
Master

Hi @Ldyluk10,

Did the replacement device worked? If did not work, you may need to do a MAC spoofing. Check this article.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086/~/no-internet-with-new-router---mac-spoofing

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 19 of 31
Ldyluk10
Aspirant

No. The new device does not work either. I looked up the Mac spoofing but that doesn't apply because we have no internet connectivity at all.
Message 20 of 31
mondenath
Prodigy

See amber flashes only when the limit is reached on the Internet LED which is 2nd LED next to Power LED from 1st.

Also the LAN LED's will glow amber when 10/100 is connected. Only white when 1000Mb/s link is established.

Message 21 of 31
Ldyluk10
Aspirant

I don't know what that means. We don't have an Internet limit and the Internet works perfectly when the Ethernet cable is hooked directly to the device in use.
Message 22 of 31
rpoffen
Virtuoso

I believe that he is referring to the traffic limit you can set in the router. This feature is useful for users that have a limit on the amount of data that they can use on a monthly basis from their ISP without incurring extra charges.

It is not strictly related to your ISP's parameters.

Message 23 of 31
Ldyluk10
Aspirant

Oh. Is there a way to turn that off or increase the limit?
Message 24 of 31
rpoffen
Virtuoso

It is a feature that is disabled by default, you must specifically enable it.

In the web interface, go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Traffic Meter

Message 25 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7