Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet not working over wifi though GUI shows Internet as 'Good' after firmware update

5StringDroid
Tutor

Internet not working over wifi though GUI shows Internet as 'Good' after firmware update

I had a basic network setup with a cable modem (Arris SurfBoard SB 6141) and a Netgear NightHawk r7000/AC1900 smart wifi router working on Xfinity/Comcast Internet. There is also a Vonage VoiP device connected via ethernet to the router, which had been working without issues for a few years now.

On 6/26/2020, I received an email from Netgear about a security flaw asking to disable remote management on the router if enabled. Figuring I would check if I had it enabled, I logged onto the router GUI/Netgear Genie interface and got prompted that my firmware version was old, and I was asked to update the firmware. I don't remember which version it was on, but it got updated to v1.0.9.98 if my memory serves me right (I remember seeing 98 at the end of the version string).

Everything was working fine for a few days, but the internet stopped working out of the blue yesterday ie. 7/1/2020 in the am. After endless calls to Comcast customer service, I was told that they were able to see that the modem was receiving the signals, so a modem replacement could solve the issue. The internet light was showing up lit on the modem, so I tried connecting the ethernet directly to the modem to see if wired internet would work, but it didn't. Surprisingly though, my VOIP device connected via ethernet to the router was still working. Connecting my laptop via ethernet to the router didn't work.

I purchased a new modem (Arris SurfBoard SB 6190) and plugged it in today. After the activation with xfinity/Comcast, the wired ethernet connection to the modem seems to be working fine and I am able to access the internet from my laptop. However, when I connect to the wifi (5ghz/2.4ghz ) networks, the internet doesn't work. Logging into the GUI/Netgear genie through the ethernet, it shows Internet as 'Good' on the dashboard. The wifi LED on the button doesn't seem to light up though. The other LED's are lit solid white and blinks white when there is traffic (Power, Internet, 2.4ghz, 5ghz, WPS).

Steps tried so far:

•  Unplugged both the modem and router power. Waited for the modem to be up, before powering up the router.
  •  Flashed the latest firmware to the router (1.0.11.104 - Hot Fix)
  •  Reset the router a few times, holding the reset button for 30 seconds.
  •  Reset the modem a few times.
  •  Changed the connecting cable between the router and the modem.
  •  Double checked the wires and tightened the coax connections.
  •  Ran setup wizard from the GUI.

Present situation:

1. Wired ethernet works when connected to the modem.
  2. Wired ethernet doesn't work when connected to the router.
  3. Both wifi network band radios and Internet shows up healthy on the GUI/Netgear genie interface.
  4. SSID is being broadcasted and I'm able to connect to them from my laptop.
  5. Both GUIs (modem and router) are accessible when connected via ethernet.
  6. Router shows a valid ip address and 2 DNS entries on the GUI.
  7. VOIP (connected to router ethernet port) doesn't work after replacing modem.
  8. WiFi LED on the router doesn't light up, though the radios (2.4ghz and 5ghz) and the WPS led are lit white. Pressing the wifi button for 2 seconds does start and stop the radios though, so I'm guessing its just a bad LED?
  9. The router logs section on the GUI shows a DOS attack dated yesterday ie.7/1/2020. Not sure if its related.

I have gone through other similar posts on the forum and tried most of the steps, but nothing seems to get the wifi working again.

Any help/suggestions to get my wifi to work would be really appreciated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Internet not working over wifi though GUI shows Internet as 'Good' after firmware update

The R7000 newer firmware versions isn't the greatest. 

I'd factory reset the R7000 by going 30/30/30 reset. Push and hold reset while its powered on for 30 seconds, then power it off for 30 seconds while holding reset, then power it back on while still holding reset for 30 seconds. 

If that allows you to access it via ethernet, then I'd recommend installing version 1.0.9.42 of the firmware. Its the agreed upon stable version of the firmware. 

See if that helps. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: Internet not working over wifi though GUI shows Internet as 'Good' after firmware update

The R7000 newer firmware versions isn't the greatest. 

I'd factory reset the R7000 by going 30/30/30 reset. Push and hold reset while its powered on for 30 seconds, then power it off for 30 seconds while holding reset, then power it back on while still holding reset for 30 seconds. 

If that allows you to access it via ethernet, then I'd recommend installing version 1.0.9.42 of the firmware. Its the agreed upon stable version of the firmware. 

See if that helps. 

Message 2 of 5
5StringDroid
Tutor

Thank you @plemans.

I followed the steps to do the 30/30/30 hard reset of the router. I am able to connect to the wifi now and the internet is working as well. Would you recommend that I still flash the 1.0.9.42 firmware?

Steps I followed are as under:

• Performed the 30/30/30 reset of the router as asked.
  • Turned off my wifi on the laptop
  • Connected to the Ethernet port on the router and saw the ethernet light was lit bright white, but I was unable to have internet access on my laptop. I was also unable to access routerlogin.net
  • Turned wifi on and connected to the wifi network.
  • Disconnected the ethernet.
  • Connected to routerlogin.net and it opened the Netgear genie GUI.
  • Checked if internet works on wifi and it seems to be working fine now.
  • I haven’t flashed the firmware yet ie. v1.0.9.42 and the router is still on V1.0.11.104_10.2.100
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

If its working again and you don't have issues, I'd leave it. Don't fix what isn't broken.

If its not working how you'd like, then I'd try the downgrade and factory reset. 

Message 4 of 5
5StringDroid
Tutor

Thanks again. That makes sense.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7