Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is My Router Too Old & Slowing Me Down?

RouterNeophyte
Aspirant

Is My Router Too Old & Slowing Me Down?

We have a Netgear Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Route Model R6700v2 which I bought in January, 2018, and I'm just checking to see if it's now too old and out of date and thus possibly slowing things down. We've updated our computers, etc., since then but have assumed to this point that the router remains fine. So do we need to update our router hardware and/or otherwise make any router changes? Or can we leave it as it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

Re: Is My Router Too Old & Slowing Me Down?

Do you have problems with it, like slow throughput or similar? If not, then there's little reason to upgrade. Your router model can handle up to a Gbps connection just fine.
Message 2 of 6

As @microchip8 says, if it works why change it?

You could, though, check that you have the latest firmware on the router. And that  does not mean using the onboard test to check. That can miss updates,

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Or follow this:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 6
RouterNeophyte
Aspirant

We are having to increasingly wait for websites, etc., to appear onscreen and while I know there could be many reasons for that, and my inclination is to think it's more likely our internet cable provider and/or the modem they gave us, but I figured I'd try to cover all bases as I'm definitely no expert! So could it be our router?!?

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Message 5 of 6

@RouterNeophyte wrote:

We are having to increasingly wait for websites, etc., to appear onscreen and while I know there could be many reasons for that, and my inclination is to think it's more likely our internet cable provider and/or the modem they gave us, but I figured I'd try to cover all bases as I'm definitely no expert! So could it be our router?!?

How fast is the Internet service you pay for?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series