Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Is it the R8300 router or the Modem or ????

css17
Aspirant

Re: Is it the R8300 router or the Modem or ????

I was using Netgear's default NTP server and changed that.  I rebooted everything and have just let everything settle.

 

All Acronis email notifications have come through!!  I have only seen one send/receive message and I just caught it out of the corner of my eye.  It was gone before I could see what the issue was.  No further website issues either.  

 

I still have not received a log email.  I have checked in the spam folder and nothing.  I have read through the experiences of others from the link provided and I'm not alone.  Some have just given up. 

 

I have been browsing the log file online and all of the [email failed] Send hello first messages have disappeared.  I have only had one thing show up that I haven't seen before - a DoS attack: Fin Scan.  See attached screen print.    

 

One thing I have noticed is that the log file doesn't always show my admin login entry into the router.  Not sure if that is a problem or not.  I see nothing email related at all - no entries at the time the logfile is supposed to send.  In looking at the IP numbers listed in the logfile I'm trying to match them back to the attached devices.  Some of the Device Name's actually show a name - such as CSS-Thinkpad or my Epson printer and my Rabbit air filter.   But some are strictly the 192.etc numbers.  Most of these are Apple products.  I have tried editing the Attached Devices and adding a name for my iPhone for example.  It will show up on the attach device pages for a day and then changes back to a number.  I entered a name into my iPhone in the Wi-Fi > network > IPV4 address > Client ID no special characters, no spaces.  Also, in the General > About > Name.  And it still doesn't send across.  It appears from my searching that this is (has been) an issue within the Apple line of  products.  One article said that basically the only way to get the name to pass through to the router was to change the (iPhone) Private Wi-Fi Address in the Wi-Fi > network >  from on to off.  I tried this with my husband's phone and sure enough his device is now showing up in the Attached Devices page with a name.  But his address is no longer private.  Would you consider this worth the risk to have the name show up in the Router Attached Devices?  Or do you have a way for me to get the name to stay in the router when I change the name there?  From searching through the community pages I'm not alone with this problem.  

 

 

 

Message 26 of 31
Kitsap
Master

Re: Is it the R8300 router or the Modem or ????


@css17 wrote:

I was using Netgear's default NTP server and changed that.  I rebooted everything and have just let everything settle.

 

All Acronis email notifications have come through!!  I have only seen one send/receive message and I just caught it out of the corner of my eye.  It was gone before I could see what the issue was.  No further website issues either.  

 

I still have not received a log email.  I have checked in the spam folder and nothing.  I have read through the experiences of others from the link provided and I'm not alone.  Some have just given up. 

 

I have been browsing the log file online and all of the [email failed] Send hello first messages have disappeared.  I have only had one thing show up that I haven't seen before - a DoS attack: Fin Scan.  See attached screen print.    

 

One thing I have noticed is that the log file doesn't always show my admin login entry into the router.  Not sure if that is a problem or not.  I see nothing email related at all - no entries at the time the logfile is supposed to send.  In looking at the IP numbers listed in the logfile I'm trying to match them back to the attached devices.  Some of the Device Name's actually show a name - such as CSS-Thinkpad or my Epson printer and my Rabbit air filter.   But some are strictly the 192.etc numbers.  Most of these are Apple products.  I have tried editing the Attached Devices and adding a name for my iPhone for example.  It will show up on the attach device pages for a day and then changes back to a number.  I entered a name into my iPhone in the Wi-Fi > network > IPV4 address > Client ID no special characters, no spaces.  Also, in the General > About > Name.  And it still doesn't send across.  It appears from my searching that this is (has been) an issue within the Apple line of  products.  One article said that basically the only way to get the name to pass through to the router was to change the (iPhone) Private Wi-Fi Address in the Wi-Fi > network >  from on to off.  I tried this with my husband's phone and sure enough his device is now showing up in the Attached Devices page with a name.  But his address is no longer private.  Would you consider this worth the risk to have the name show up in the Router Attached Devices?  Or do you have a way for me to get the name to stay in the router when I change the name there?  From searching through the community pages I'm not alone with this problem.  

 


Progress is progress!  😊

 

To keep track of router log entries, I keep a spreadsheet to list device name, connection method, fixed IP and reserved IP addresses where they exist, and MAC address.  Some devices have more than one MAC address.  For example, one for the 2.4 GHz radio, one for the 5 GHz radio, and one for the Ethernet port.  I am sure there are more to come with new Wi-Fi band radios.

 

Have not had problems with the router log e-mail in several years.  Also note I use an older router.  I do use the smtp server from my ISP as well as an e-mail address from my ISP.

 

Have always used this web site for IPv6 confirmation.  https://whatismyipaddress.com/

 

The names of attached devices have been sketchy with Netgear for as long as I can remember.  I know it is a problem with IoT devices.  For my Netgear routers, I would temporarily activate access control before I edited and saved the name.  Then deactivate access control when done.

 

The Nighthawk mobile application indicates you have an option to edit both the name and the application icon for attached devices.

 

The random MAC address rotation on iphones and now Android complicates device names.

Message 27 of 31

Re: Is it the R8300 router or the Modem or ????


@css17 wrote:

 

I have been browsing the log file online and all of the [email failed] Send hello first messages have disappeared.  I have only had one thing show up that I haven't seen before - a DoS attack: Fin Scan.  See attached screen print.    


If this is the router's logs, rather than Acronis, then those Dos Attack entries are a well known phenomenon.

 

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

 

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

 

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

 

Here is a useful tool for that task:

 

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

 


One article said that basically the only way to get the name to pass through to the router was to change the (iPhone) Private Wi-Fi Address in the Wi-Fi > network >  from on to off.  I tried this with my husband's phone and sure enough his device is now showing up in the Attached Devices page with a name. 

 


That will be this security "improvement" from Apple:

 

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

 

Message 28 of 31
css17
Aspirant

Re: Is it the R8300 router or the Modem or ????

Yes, the DoS attack entry was in the router log file and has only happened the one time.  It looks like it was related to Google and I do use Chrome as my browser.

 

Still no logs being sent via email but at this point it's not worth it to me to try and track it down.  I did change the email in the router settings back to my Outlook one  as I really don't want anything tied to an ISP email again if I can help it.  Had that task of changing our emails from Comcast when we moved from Seattle to Oregon and only had Charter (Spectrum) to choose from.  What a pain....

 

I am definitely a list maker and identifying the devices attached to the router and putting them into Excel with their pertinent information is a good idea.  I will do this and be sure to check out each new device that I add to the network in the future.  Since the "Device Name" issue is known and kicked around I'm not going to worry about it.  I just thought if it was an easy thing to do I'd stick a name in there that meant something to me.   I just wish that everybody would play nice together.  It was so much easier when it was just IBM hardware and software.  I'd just call our IBM system rep when I needed help.  Now, in the PC arena there are so many different hardware and software components it's hard to know who to contact or even how to drill down to the right piece of hardware/software causing the problem. 

 

Which brings us full circle.  I started here not knowing whether it was my modem, router or ISP that was causing my Outlook and Acronis issues.  I never would have figured out the different settings within the router and things to try without all of your help.  If I had gone out and bought a new router and/or replaced the modem I'd more than likely still be experiencing the same problems.  The send/receive errors in Outlook 2016 have disappeared and all of the emails sent from Acronis have arrived just as they should.  And I've learned a bit more about router settings and how all of this stuff works together (or, at least is supposed to).  I've documented everything I've changed so I have it as a reference point in case this pops up again.  

 

I want to thank you both for helping me out and explaining things to me.  I may not have been in the right spot but intuitively knew that someone here would have the knowledge to help me work through it.  Thanks for sharing your time and experience with me. 

 

All the best - Carol

 

 

 

Message 29 of 31

Re: Is it the R8300 router or the Modem or ????


@css17 wrote:

 

Still no logs being sent via email but at this point it's not worth it to me to try and track it down.  I did change the email in the router settings back to my Outlook one  as I really don't want anything tied to an ISP email again if I can help it. 

 


As we have discovered over the years, Netgear's implementation of logs and SMTP is flaky. Some SMTP servers work on some routers but not on others. (I've had quite a few through my hands.)

 

It doesn't help that there is no built-in Test feature when you set up email. But you can simulate this by using the Send Log button on the Logs page in the GUI (Advanced > Administration > Logs).

 

The logs will then add an entry [email sent to: who@somewhere] Thursday, Jun 29, 2023 10:01:24

 

My current router, one of the MR series, is happy with the paid for Outlook SMTP server. (See message 10 in this saga.)

 


It was so much easier when it was just IBM hardware and software.  I'd just call our IBM system rep when I needed help.  Now, in the PC arena there are so many different hardware and software components it's hard to know who to contact or even how to drill down to the right piece of hardware/software causing the problem. 

 


I was on a press trip to IBM once many years where Rolf Landauer proudly showed off new speech recognition technology. It was a slot in PC circuit board about the size of today's huge graphics cards. Today even PC software is giving way to cloud options like Otter.

 

At the moment I am grappling with an unfortunate clash between two bits of essential software, Microsoft Office and X1 Search. It is a classic example of the phenomenon you describe. Without a sympathetic tech person at X1 I would be stuffed.

 

Message 30 of 31
Kitsap
Master

Re: Is it the R8300 router or the Modem or ????


@css17 wrote:

Yes, the DoS attack entry was in the router log file and has only happened the one time.  It looks like it was related to Google and I do use Chrome as my browser.

 

Still no logs being sent via email but at this point it's not worth it to me to try and track it down.  I did change the email in the router settings back to my Outlook one  as I really don't want anything tied to an ISP email again if I can help it.  Had that task of changing our emails from Comcast when we moved from Seattle to Oregon and only had Charter (Spectrum) to choose from.  What a pain....

 

I am definitely a list maker and identifying the devices attached to the router and putting them into Excel with their pertinent information is a good idea.  I will do this and be sure to check out each new device that I add to the network in the future.  Since the "Device Name" issue is known and kicked around I'm not going to worry about it.  I just thought if it was an easy thing to do I'd stick a name in there that meant something to me.   I just wish that everybody would play nice together.  It was so much easier when it was just IBM hardware and software.  I'd just call our IBM system rep when I needed help.  Now, in the PC arena there are so many different hardware and software components it's hard to know who to contact or even how to drill down to the right piece of hardware/software causing the problem. 

 

Which brings us full circle.  I started here not knowing whether it was my modem, router or ISP that was causing my Outlook and Acronis issues.  I never would have figured out the different settings within the router and things to try without all of your help.  If I had gone out and bought a new router and/or replaced the modem I'd more than likely still be experiencing the same problems.  The send/receive errors in Outlook 2016 have disappeared and all of the emails sent from Acronis have arrived just as they should.  And I've learned a bit more about router settings and how all of this stuff works together (or, at least is supposed to).  I've documented everything I've changed so I have it as a reference point in case this pops up again.  

 

I want to thank you both for helping me out and explaining things to me.  I may not have been in the right spot but intuitively knew that someone here would have the knowledge to help me work through it.  Thanks for sharing your time and experience with me. 

 

All the best - Carol

 


An ongoing education is why this place exists, and it goes both ways.  Good luck!

 

 

Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 3800 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series