Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Link Asus RP-AC1900 Network to Nighthawk C7000 AC1900

cfil
Aspirant

Link Asus RP-AC1900 Network to Nighthawk C7000 AC1900

I have a Nighthawk AC1900 router/modem and am using an ASUS RP-AC1900 repeater. 

Am I able to have the ASUS repeater on the same network as the Nighthawk? ASUS support told me to contact Netgear...

Also, I have my main network hidden, so ideally I'd like the repeater to be on the same network, hidden.

Thank you,

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions

Re: Link Asus RP-AC1900 Network to Nighthawk C7000 AC1900

@plemans wrote:

All of Asus's documentation on that device for mesh function says "when used with a AiMesh router"......

Ah. It is a Mesh device. That wasn't clear. The first message just said "extender".

It is strange that Asus didn't say that when first asked.

Am I able to have the ASUS repeater on the same network as the Nighthawk? ASUS support told me to contact Netgear...

Not a lot of help when talking about a proprietary system.

Looks like we have found another company with a less than helpful support service.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies

@cfil wrote:

It should work. The C7000 is simply a wifi source. You then have to set up the repeater to work with it.

The answers will be in the manual for the ASUS RP-AC1900 repeater.

Message 2 of 10
cfil
Aspirant

I already have the repeater set up with the current router, but the repeater has its own network. I want the repeater to not create its own network and just extend my router's network. The manual for the repeater is very vague and does not mention this or how to make the network private.

Do I need an Asus router to do this?
Message 3 of 10

@cfil wrote:
I already have the repeater set up with the current router, but the repeater has its own network. I want the repeater to not create its own network and just extend my router's network.

What is "its own network"? Do you mean wifi SSID?

If so, then you can change it. Again, that is something I would expect to find in the manual for the extender.

I would also expect the extender to use the same SSID as the router when you set it up.

First you may have to reset the extender to its factory settings.

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

All of Asus's documentation on that device for mesh function says "when used with a AiMesh router"......

I don't have one so I can't attest to how it works/functions, but AiMesh is Asus's own mesh solution. 

You're not using it with a AiMesh compatible router, you're using it with a Netgear C7000. 

So it might function in extender mode fine but not as a mesh device. 

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking-IoT-Servers/Range-Extenders-/All-series/RP-AC1900/

Message 5 of 10
cfil
Aspirant

Even if the repeater has the same SSID as my router, it is duplicated to display two networks. I only want one network, not two.

The extender has a 3 page manual with no useful information.

Message 6 of 10
cfil
Aspirant

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. Might just have to live with 2 separate networks for now.
Message 7 of 10

@plemans wrote:

Ah. It is a Mesh device. That wasn't clear. The first message just said "extender".

It is strange that Asus didn't say that when first asked.

Not a lot of help when talking about a proprietary system.

Looks like we have found another company with a less than helpful support service.

Message 8 of 10
cfil
Aspirant

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. Yes, would have been nice if Asus said that in the first place.

Message 9 of 10

@cfil wrote:

Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. Yes, would have been nice if Asus said that in the first place.

The size of the Asus manual is a bit of a giveaway. They clearly don't want to reveal too much. Netgear's manuals are massive in contrast.

I would not be surprised if there is some sort of "switch" in the Asus device that let's you convert it to simple "AP" mode. (Some of Netgear's Mesh stuff has that option.) This would wipe out the Mesh capability, but that seems to be what you want to achieve anyway.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7