Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Logged in from another device, being disconnected

Grafixmac
Tutor

Logged in from another device, being disconnected

There are only two other threads I can find on this and I've used the advice on one of them. The other was of no use. I have two other threads posted about spam attempts, which is what I believe started this all, but did not get any answers there.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Repeated-Spam-Attempts/m-p/2139721

That will give you the intro to what I believe started this all, because prior to this, I had NO problems. I've since done a FULL factory reset on my router and changed passwords to the router multiple times. But even after I changed the pw to my router wo a full reset I was still getting bumped off. Last night it happened again (before the full reset).

I have this in the log:

[Internet connected] IP address: 98.206.195.25, Friday, Sep 17,2021 19:15:09
[Internet disconnected] Friday, Sep 17,2021 19:15:08

I tried to block this IP but the router app says this is not a valid IP???

This is not my IP and it seems to be what knocked me off. But how is this possible? How do I stop it. I had reset my password (it's 32 random characters I had written down on a piece of paper and typed into the RS4000 router app on my computer! Every time I get knocked off, I have to restart each device. I finally had enough I did a full factory reset. It's only been 12 hours since so nothing yet, but what is happening???

In the time it took me to write this, I was logged in to the browser app and it logged me out again.

Message 1 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

Re: Logged in from another device, being disconnected

These boards are worthless. Netgear sucks. Their software and hardware and service sucks.

@Grafixmac wrote:

There are only two other threads I can find on this and I've used the advice on one of them. The other was of no use. I have two other threads posted about spam attempts, which is what I believe started this all, but did not get any answers there.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Repeated-Spam-Attempts/m-p/2139721

That will give you the intro to what I believe started this all, because prior to this, I had NO problems. I've since done a FULL factory reset on my router and changed passwords to the router multiple times. But even after I changed the pw to my router wo a full reset I was still getting bumped off. Last night it happened again (before the full reset).

I have this in the log:

[Internet connected] IP address: 98.206.195.25, Friday, Sep 17,2021 19:15:09
[Internet disconnected] Friday, Sep 17,2021 19:15:08

I tried to block this IP but the router app says this is not a valid IP???

This is not my IP and it seems to be what knocked me off. But how is this possible? How do I stop it. I had reset my password (it's 32 random characters I had written down on a piece of paper and typed into the RS4000 router app on my computer! Every time I get knocked off, I have to restart each device. I finally had enough I did a full factory reset. It's only been 12 hours since so nothing yet, but what is happening???

In the time it took me to write this, I was logged in to the browser app and it logged me out again.

Message 2 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Maybe using whois lookup to see where that IP address is coming from? Hmmm? 

https://whois.domaintools.com/98.206.195.25

Message 3 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

Current firmware: V1.5.0.34_10.0.33 

I am using a Netgear cable modem (specifically designed for Comcast): CM1150V

I looked up the WhoIs (thanks for that... I tried just doing a search using the IP but got nowhere). It says it is a Comcast IP from Mt. Laurel NJ.

OrgName: Comcast Cable Communications, LLC
OrgId: CCCS
Address: 1800 Bishops Gate Blvd
City: Mt Laurel
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 08054

Does that mean it is someone using Comcast, or is that maybe how Comcast routes traffic?

I have noticed a few times when it has disconnected is when I am connecting to the Internet using my TV, such as watching Prime or Tubi.

But until I had this "incident" (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-App/Repeated-Spam-Attempts/m-p/2139721), I was perfectly able to have kids online, phones running wifi, computers on, and Prime going without being kicked off.

Message 4 of 28

I saw those earlier messages. As I understood it, you unwisely clicked an email link that infected your system. You now want Netgear to rescue you. There isn't really much that Netgear can go to help you with that.

Did you ever run a scan for malicious software on your PC?

Message 5 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

Well, it's not that I want Netgear to rescue me, I'm asking how I solve this. I received a text message to a web site that never launched, and I received it on my phone and I have run for viruses. None found.

Message 6 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to stop clicking on links in text messages from unknown senders. Block them on your phone. 

Disconnect the Router from the modem. Use a wired PC and web browser. Can you log in to the routers web page with out seeing the Logged in from another device? 

Message 7 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

Yeah, it was from my wife... That's why I clicked it before my brain told me to stop. I trust my wife, but she got duped and sent some BS to me.

I no longer have a laptop with an ethernet port. The new Macs do not have this feature. I'll have to see if there are thunderbolt to ethernet connecters to do this. i just ordered one off amazon, will be here tomorrow.

To be clear, I am able to sometimes log in to my router.login without seeing the message.

Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya they make USB C to Ethernet adapters. I have a few for my Mac Book Pro. 

Try logging into the routers web page using the wireless connection with the ethernet disconnected from the modem...

Message 9 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

Okay, Thanks. I will try that during my lunch break in about 2 hours and let you know the results (I work from home... have a client meeting coming up...)

Message 10 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 11 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

I was able to log in to the router with the ethernet cable removed from my (cable) modem. It showed "Internet disconnected" (which is to be suspected.)

FYI: I also ran a malware program on both my phone and my wifes. Plus a separate virus program. Both phones are apparently clean.

Does that indicate anything to you?

I've tried looking for "logged in from another device" as a general Internet search but revealed only one other topic, and it is a post from here, which basically says to do a hard factory reset to the router, which I've done already.

It just seems strange that this started happening after the "incident", but it could be coincidental. As posted above, it seems to disconnect when we have a lot of devices on (running Prime on my TV), along with my home computer, work computer, kids laptop, 2 phones running also (but never was a problem before).

Is it possible this is a glitch is the result of too much bandwidth "overload" and then that messages appears, or is someone else actually logged in from somewhere else? The logs seem to correspond with the TV usage.

I want to try unplugging and disconnecting all devices except for my one TV, and seeing if I get an interuption.

I aslo want to try unplugging and disconnecting everything and see if my 5G light blinks (showing activity).

Message 12 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Try unplugging all other wired devices, might change the SSID name to something different to prevent anything else from accessing the router. Then connect the modem back up to the router and use 1 wired PC to see if you can access the routers web page and see if you get that message again or not. I would also turn OFF the modem for 1-2 minutes as well then back ON. 

Message 13 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

That was one thing I did not change when I factory reset the modem was change the SSID. I thought about it, but I was too flustered to think of something new I liked so I stuck with the old one.

So I should get the thunderbolt to ethernet cable tomorrow, and will try your suggestion.

I only have one wired device connected to my wifi router, and it is my wifi camera system's hub.

If someone DOES have access to my computer, if I change the SSID, shouldn't I also change the router password too?

Assuming I do update the SSID and password, I will then have to relink all of the devices to the new SSID, correct? (Not complaining but just checking).

Message 14 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes change the pw as well. 

This is just a temporary troubleshooting step to see if something on the LAN side is connecting to the router. You can change it back later of if you like. 

Message 15 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

Again thanks for all the help. As I work from home, I'll have to wait until later in the day to mess with the router so as not to disrupt expected meetings. I plan to shut off all devices except my home laptop and my cell, disconnect my ethernet cable from the cable modem to the wifi, login to the wifi router (confirmed I was able to do this yesterday), change the SSID and password (this was there is less likelihood that if someone is snooping, they won't be able to connect since there is no Internet connection).

I will update with results.

Message 16 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

Reset my SSID and changed my password. I did see this in the logs this morning. I believe it is coming from my TV. I get disconnected every time I use Prime or Tubi on my Samsung TV. I then have to restart everything. I did not get the logged in from elsewhere message though.

[DoS attack: FIN Scan] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [34.117.254.173], Tuesday, Sep 21,2021 09:48:03

So the above is new (first time) I've seen something like this.

I checked for an update to my TV software and there is none available.

Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

https://whois.domaintools.com/34.117.254.173

Seems to be Google. 

Does your system work ok if you don't use the TV? 

Message 18 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

Does Google just randomly ping computers like that? I don't use Google for anything. Well, at least I've turned off as much as I can on my Android.

It does seem to work better when not on my TV. I've now changed the channel on my 5Ghz band to something different and will be expirementing with using 2.4Ghz on some devices.

I just also updated the firmware to V1.5.1.80_10.0.54 

The issue is that prior to all of this disconnection, I had not changed the 5g broadband channel and had a mix of devices on 5G and 2.4G. After the rejiggering, I set all of them to 5G, and maybe that made it worse.

But I did another test. I turned off and disconnected everything in my house, so only my TV and work laptop were on. I got bumped again. It will be interesting now to try it again with my computer set to 2.4 and the TV on 5G.

I just can't make any sense of this. I know enough to troubleshoot, but there are still enough variables (cable modem, wifi router, settings on each, firmware on each, the actual cable company, my connections coming into the house, the TV itself) that I cannot nail down what it is, and maybe there is something that is beyond my knowledge that I would never think about... so hoping others here might be able to piece something together or suggest other tests...

Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the initial problem still happening?

You are setting up a new PW for the admin loggin credentials right? 

Message 20 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

I completely moved my entire setup (cable modem and wifi router and attached security system) to a more central location in the house), and rewired a cable from the booster that runs into the house directly to the cable modem. However before I even did this, I tweaked some other things, and I'm not even sure what that is anymore. For some reason Remote Management was on, that has been turned off. I am able watch TV now on Tubi or Prime for hours without dropping. I'm also not getting a prompt to re-login after just a minute or two on the router.login page. I set a bunch of my devices back to 2.4Ghz. I've got many of them reconnected but not all. It seems to be going well so far, however, I now have a new problem.

I now only see TWO of my devices on the app and in the router login. I'm definitely connected to more than one device. ARGH! This is so frustrating!!!!!!

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like you did something to help your situation for the most part. 

Message 22 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

Yeah, I think it was part of the factory reset + changing passwords + changing SSID + updating firmware + switching some devices from 5G to 2.4G + the new hardwired configuration + changing channel for 5G...

How do I notify Netgear support that this firmware upgrade basically will not allow me to see more than two devices? I've seen this in other threads here on Netgear and it seems like basically it is a bug in the firmware updates.

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Open a support ticket or contact a forum moderator:

@DarrenM 

Message 24 of 28
Grafixmac
Tutor

Thanks. I've contacted the MOD.

One other (probably stupid) question. Can I be logged into the Android Nightwawk app AND to the router login page at the same time? I'm thinking that logging into one will log me out of the other?

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7