Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mesh possibilities with the AC1200

Drew_K
Aspirant

Mesh possibilities with the AC1200

Hey all,

I now find myself in the need of a mesh network as I hate switching between traditional extenders.

My current config

CM500 Model hard wired to a Nighthawk AC1200 smart wifi router.

House was built in 74 and the model/router is on an addition on the back of the house.  I also have zoned wifi enabled thermostats throughout the house.

With the wife and kids home I have about 20 devices coming on and off throught the day, but bandwidth needs are pretty slim as we don't stream a ton.  Mostly music, work, and school.

I'd like to keep the exisiting equipment and extend the network Mesh to the basement and the front of the second floor.

Any advice that includes keeping the existing equipment and network would be appreciated.  Also we also get pretty basic speeds from cable company so not looking for massive speed (yet).  🙂

Drew

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Mesh possibilities with the AC1200

@Drew_K wrote:

So in my research and thanks to you I am now drawn to 3 systems.

The Nighthawk Mesh MK62(3)

The RBK43 (seen the 3 node only for around $220)

And windering if it is really worth it to go bog and go with the RBK23 Triband for around $360.

The RBK43 is a triband and is more capable than the rbk23. 
Its just a renewed version. The MK62 is fairly close prices to the rbk43 and the rbk43 will have better speeds/stability. Plus the additional satellite. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

How big is the home? 

How many levels? 

What router do you have? AC1200 is a speed not a model. 

How many satellites are you looking at? 

If you're looking at upgrading to mesh, I'd strongly encourage the triband mesh. its much faster, stable, and more adaptable than the dual band mesh. 

For a base system, I'd look at the RBK43 system. They've been renewed lately on amazon for pretty cheap. Much cheaper than new or the newer AX systems. 

And depending on what AC1200 router you have, its probably much more capable. 

Message 2 of 7
Drew_K
Aspirant

How big is the home?  Just under 2800 sf

How many levels?  Basement and 2 levels

What router do you have? AC1200 is a speed not a model. (Sorry there) Nighthawk R6230

How many satellites are you looking at?  I'm thinking 1 or 2 would do the job.

If you're looking at upgrading to mesh, I'd strongly encourage the triband mesh. its much faster, stable, and more adaptable than the dual band mesh.

--If my internet speed coming in is pretty slow(we don't have a ton of need over work and school) is the cost increase to tri band really worth?  I was looking a little at the Nighthawk Mesh devices.

For a base system, I'd look at the RBK43 system. They've been renewed lately on amazon for pretty cheap. Much cheaper than new or the newer AX systems. 

--Thanks will look at them

And depending on what AC1200 router you have, its probably much more capable. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

1 or 2 satellites should cover that size home. 

When you say nighthawk mesh device. Are you talking the line of mesh extenders or the mesh system (mk60)? Model numbers help 

Message 4 of 7
Drew_K
Aspirant

I was thinking the price point on the MK62 was pretty good if I only go with the router and 1 sattelite.

My two problem areas are the 2nd floor front of the house (not a big deal) and the basement can be spotty at times and my wife was asking if I could build a stand up desk over the treadmill in the basement.  So the thought of getting a more consistent signal down there is really my goal.

Message 5 of 7
Drew_K
Aspirant

And windering if it is really worth it to go bog and go with the RBK23 Triband for around $360.

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

@Drew_K wrote:

The RBK43 is a triband and is more capable than the rbk23. 
Its just a renewed version. The MK62 is fairly close prices to the rbk43 and the rbk43 will have better speeds/stability. Plus the additional satellite. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7