Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Model R7000 - The router just doesn't work after a factory reset to clear my password

rnthom54
Aspirant

Model R7000 - The router just doesn't work after a factory reset to clear my password

Well, after many re-sets and such the router will not produce a wifi signal. I've completely unplugged everything at least 3 times and started fresh just like it came out of the box and it still won't work. any thoughts? It was working fine until I did a factory reset to clear my old password that I couldn't remember and such.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Model R7000 - The router just doesn't work after a factory reset to clear my password

Some information that would be helpful is the brand name and specific model number of your modem.  If it is just a modem, not a problem.  If it is a combination modem and router there can be issues.

The default Wi-Fi password is printed on the nameplate on the router.  It is case sensitive.  The Wi-Fi SSID and password are part of the firmware default settings that are put in place after a reset.

Connecting to the Wi-Fi from a phone should work fine.  Your understanding about configuring a router via a phone app is completely wrong.  I repeat, attempting to configure the router via a phone is a fools errand.  Contrary to your understanding or any advertisements from a manufacturer, if all you have access to is a phone for configuration, you are stuck.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Re: Model R7000 - The router just doesn't work after a factory reset to clear my password

Looking at the row of LED's on the front.  The last two on the right side are a combination indicator/switch.  The far right is WPS and the next one toward the left is Wi-Fi radio on/off.  Most likely it has been accidently switched off.  With the router powered on, press and hold the radio on/off switch for a few seconds.  Release and wait a few seconds for the radio to come on.

Message 2 of 6
rnthom54
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response but there is still no response.The indicator light for the radio is lit so I'm assuming it's active. When I try to connect to the wifi on my iPhone it's asking for a password. I don't know what password it's asking for. After a factory reset I thought the passcode was "password". But that doesnt work either. When I go to the NightHawk app, it's saying "Router Not Found"

Message 3 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Now you are changing your story.  Your original post said the router doesn't work and there was no Wi-Fi signal.  Now you say it is working and there is a signal that asks you for a password.  Which is it??

Attempting to configure and manage a router via a phone app is a fools errand.  To configure a router, get a real computer and connect it to the router via an ethernet cable.

In general, after a firmware default reset, the password for access to the configuration screens is "password" without the quotes.  The password for the Wi-Fi is printed on the tag on the router.

Message 4 of 6
rnthom54
Aspirant

Ok. Let's just say I'm very computer challeged. Let me start over. I just finished doing a factory reset on the router. I do have internet service. The ethernet cable that comes from the router is connected to my modem.The issue is, the NightHawk app is not recognizing the router. ( It's my understanding you have to use this app to make any changes to the router) My iPhone which is showing the router "NETGEAR06" will not recognize any password(s) for me to join the internet (wifi).

Message 5 of 6
Kitsap
Master

Some information that would be helpful is the brand name and specific model number of your modem.  If it is just a modem, not a problem.  If it is a combination modem and router there can be issues.

The default Wi-Fi password is printed on the nameplate on the router.  It is case sensitive.  The Wi-Fi SSID and password are part of the firmware default settings that are put in place after a reset.

Connecting to the Wi-Fi from a phone should work fine.  Your understanding about configuring a router via a phone app is completely wrong.  I repeat, attempting to configure the router via a phone is a fools errand.  Contrary to your understanding or any advertisements from a manufacturer, if all you have access to is a phone for configuration, you are stuck.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series