Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My R7000 toggles between "looking for Networks" and on

mirvingm
Aspirant

My R7000 toggles between "looking for Networks" and on

My router does not want to stay connected to the internet? It jumps back and fourth between Looking for Networks and on constantly? If I restart my IMac it seems to solve the problem temporarily? But ends up not being able to stay connected.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
mirvingm
Aspirant

Re: My R7000 toggles between "looking for Networks" and on

I fixed my router within 1 hour after months of troubles!

It's called a TP-Link router.

Replace the router with a different brand and no more troubles!!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies

@mirvingm wrote:

My router does not want to stay connected to the internet? It jumps back and fourth between Looking for Networks and on constantly?

What firmware version do you have on the router? A number is more useful than vague "the latest" guesses. It may not be by the time people read this, and there can be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up in the browser interface.

What is the modem in front of this router?

Remember, when trying to connect a network to the internet, it is important to do things in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Message 2 of 11
Slsroach
Aspirant

I am also having this problem.  Every day, and often several times a day, I have to cycle (restart) my modem and router. Last night I also downloaded the latest firmware (v1.0.9.34). My wifi is constantly going back and forth (quickly) between "on" and "looking for networks." I finally figured out this is at least part of what is happening. I have problems with my Amazon devices  (Echo) and my iMacs (both laptop and desktop running OS 10.12.6). They lose their connection to the internet, and, apparently, to the router, over and over.  I fix it, but it always happens again. Sometimes cycling the modem and router don't even fix the problem. I have also deleted my wifi networks from my computer, run a disk utility, cleaned out my keychain, restarted my computers- every single recommendation I can find on the internet for this problem. Nothing has been a permanent fix.

A hardwire LAN hook-up with my modem is not a viable option in my home, plus it happens with my Alexa devices well as my computers.

When I first got the router, it happened intermittently, and simply turning the wifi on and off at my computer screen would fix the problem.  Now my problem is every few hours. I am beside myself with frustration. Here I bought what was supposed to be the "best" router, yet it is giving me even more grief than my previous router.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Message 3 of 11
ageinghack
Tutor

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 4 of 11
mirvingm
Aspirant

Message 5 of 11
Slsroach
Aspirant

This did not help. I never changed any of the settings to begin with.  I finally found how to reset everything to factory defaults, just in case, but it didn't change anything at all.

Any  other ideas?  This is incredibly frustating.

Message 6 of 11
myersw
Master

@mirvingm wrote:

Amazing how many folks fix their Netgear router issues by getting something different from another manufacturer. I did the samething after a very disappointing experience with a r8000 and r8000p with constant and not fixed firmware issues. They used to be my go to and on my recommended list. Not anymore. 

Message 7 of 11

Sigh.

Message 8 of 11
myersw
Master

Sigh all you want. Right now Netgear is putting out crap firmware and, unfortunately has been. I guess you will figure that out someday. A r8000 and r8000p convinced me they did not have a clue after multiple updates. 

Sell your Netgear stock before they go under, IMHO. 

Message 9 of 11
Slsroach
Aspirant

So frustrating to hear that recommendation reaffirmed but I genuinely appreciate your reply. It is very helpful. I guess if I can't fix the darn thing it will have to become an expensive paperweight. Thanks again. 

@myersw wrote:

@mirvingm wrote:

Amazing how many folks fix their Netgear router issues by getting something different from another manufacturer. I did the samething after a very disappointing experience with a r8000 and r8000p with constant and not fixed firmware issues. They used to be my go to and on my recommended list. Not anymore. 

Message 10 of 11
myersw
Master

@Slsroach

Unfortunately Netgear engineers have lost their way with firmware development and updates. IMHO due to going off shore with folks who do not have a clue. 

Netgear was my go to vendor for years, but not anymore after the fiasco of a r8000 and r8000p with on going firmware issues which do not seem to be fixed as of now. Good grief!!!! I moved on as I suggest others do. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7