Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My Wifi Speed drops to 0 Mbps from time to time on Nighthawk R6 r8000 router

thilbert
Aspirant

My Wifi Speed drops to 0 Mbps from time to time on Nighthawk R6 r8000 router

My Wifi speed is unstable it goes down to 0.6 Mbps and I have to turn off the Wifi button and then turn it up again.  Then wifi goes up again up to 500 Mbps (still not full Internet speed I have 750 Mbps) this happens with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals, it does not happen with Ethernet connection cause when the problem exists Ethernet connection marks full internet speed. Firmware version is V1.0.4.84_10.1.84 up to date is the latest firmware available.  I have done the factory reset and configured from scratch, I have changed my dns to google's dns server.

Message 1 of 7

Re: My Wifi Speed drops to 0 Mbps from time to time on Nighthawk R6 r8000 router

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Message 2 of 7
thilbert
Aspirant

Re: My Wifi Speed drops to 0 Mbps from time to time on Nighthawk R6 r8000 router

Hi the modem is:

ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PC 1.5 Touchstone Residential Gateway

Model:  TG2482AP2-85

The thing is that my LAN Connection in my R8000 is working fine, the Wireless connection is where I have inconsistencies with the continuity the internet speed.  I have to reset the wireless connection once in a while and then speed is normal once again.

Message 3 of 7

@thilbert wrote:

ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 / PC 1.5 Touchstone Residential Gateway

Model:  TG2482AP2-85

The clue there is the "gateway" word. It means that you have a modem/router and you are adding a second router to that, which is a recipe for chaos.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

You have two wifi sources that are fighting to control which does what.

Do you need both? Or can you get by with the Touchstone Residential Gateway on its own?

If not, try this on the R8000:

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If you want to stick with the R8000 as a router, try this:

Setting the ARRIS TG1652, TG2482 and TG2492 to Bridge/Router mode

Message 4 of 7
thilbert
Aspirant

Thanks for the clue Michael,

I will need to ask for credentials into the Arris Modem to my ISP because I need control of my network to set some Address Reservations, unless I can set the DHCP Reservations though the Nighthawk Router as AP.

Please let me know.

Message 5 of 7
thilbert
Aspirant

I asked my ISP to put the CM on Bridge Mode, I will monitor the Wifi now, thank you very much.

Regards,

Message 6 of 7

@thilbert wrote:

I will need to ask for credentials into the Arris Modem to my ISP because I need control of my network to set some Address Reservations, unless I can set the DHCP Reservations though the Nighthawk Router as AP.

AP mode disables a lot of a router's features:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That's one reason why it is often better to bridge the modem/router. Those things are rarely as capable as a standalone router.

When you have got it all set up and working to your liking, do yourself a favour and create a backup of the configuration so that you have a safe way if restoring those address reservations.

How do I back up the router configuration settings on my Nighthawk router? | Answer | NETGEAR Suppor...

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7