Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NIghtHawk R7000 PS4 Nat Type Strict/3 Issues

Zxfyr
Guide

NIghtHawk R7000 PS4 Nat Type Strict/3 Issues

I have always had a moderate at best NAT Type but when changing the place I recieve internet from the NAT Type has chosen to remain forever Strict. When changing my internet, the guy who did the changing told me that my ping would be higher at this new place (I didn't realize how much that would affect my gaming at the time due to my desperation for a change in hopes of fixing my NAT).  I have tried Port Forwarding on two different hardwares, both reccomended in the communtiy for working well, and to no avail my NAT remains Strict. I also have tried using UPnP. What causes my NAT Type and how can I fix it? Will changing my ISP fix it? Thank you in advance for answers.

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Zxfyr
Guide

According to my ISP I cannot port forward due to the Dynamic IP they give me. They are charging a $10 price for a static IP. Is this something that happens? Port Forwarding unavailable on a Dynamic IP?

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Do you have double NAT going on?  NAT at the ISP router and NAT at the R7000?

If so, try putting the ISP modem/router into bridge mode, if possible.  Enable Open NAT on the R7000.

Otherwise, reconfigure the R7000 as an AP and set up port forwarding on the ISP router.

Message 2 of 15
Zxfyr
Guide

In my internet setup I have the Internet Cable leading to a box labeled as Phihong which is an adapter I believe.  Then the internet/Ethernet (not sure) cord leading into my R7000.  Could my NAT Type have something to do with something on my ISP's end? Does NAT type revolve around speed at all because I have very slow internet for gaming (1mb/s) and had always thought that that was the problem with my NAT?

Message 3 of 15
Zxfyr
Guide

Also AP mode "broke" my router and I had to factory reset it, probably for the best

Message 4 of 15
TheEther
Guru

One way to tell whether the Phihong is a router is to look at the IP address assigned to the Internet port on your R7000.  If the Internet Port on the R7000 has a private IP address (like 192.168.X.X, or 10.X.X.X, or 172.16.X.X), then the Phihong is a router.  If the IP address is anything else, then the Phihong is not a router.

NAT type has nothing to do with speed.  Do you know what speed is your Internet service?

Do you have QoS enabled on your R7000?  If so, try turning it off.  Sometimes, QoS hurts more than it helps.

Message 5 of 15
Zxfyr
Guide

Eureka! It is a private IP (172.16.) Now how do I connect to my modem?router to fix this as there is no wifi option for it?

Will I have to ethernet it to a computer?

I do not have QoS Enabled

My speed is supposed to be 1mb/s down and like half that up

Message 6 of 15
TheEther
Guru

What is the brand and model # of your modem/router?

Do you have anything else plugged into the modem/router besides your R7000?

Message 7 of 15
Zxfyr
Guide

The brand is Phihong

Model Number is POE 16U 480

There are only 2 ports, one for the internet cable and one for the Router (r7000). On the box itself it says it is a single port injector and a switching power supply. Starting to think that I might have looked at the wrong things and this isn't actually a router

Nothing else is plugged in

Message 8 of 15
TheEther
Guru

That's not a router.  That's Power over Ethernet (PoE) adapter.  One of the wires from that adapter should lead to your modem/router.

Log onto your R7000 and go to the Internet page.  The Gateway IP address is your modem/router.  Try entering that address into your browser.  This should connect to the modem/router.  Unfortunately, you may need to find the modem/router to read the admin password off of the sticker.

Message 9 of 15
Zxfyr
Guide

The router type is a Cambium Networks. Unfortunately the only place the router could be is on my roof and seeing as it is very dark out right now I will have to find the password tomorrow or contact my ISP. Thank you for all our help!

Message 10 of 15
TheEther
Guru

See if either of these combinations works:

Username: admin

Password: admin

Username: cambium

Password: cambium

Message 11 of 15
Zxfyr
Guide

Those did not work.

I found a router looking thing on my roof with the model number 3630SM which is Cambium made so is this the router I am looking for?

Message 12 of 15
TheEther
Guru

I Googled the model number.  You have a WiMAX installation.  The 3630SM is a WiMAX subscriber module, which is basically a big antenna and radio used for communicating with a WiMAX Access Point, which is similar to a cell phone tower, located somewhere in your neighborhood.  The 3630SM is not exactly a router, but it does appear to be capable of performing NAT as well as port forwarding.

I'm not an expert on WiMAX, but I'm guessing that the 3630SM is not something that you are supposed to log into.  I did happen to find the operating guide and the default username and password is operator and wimax, respectively.  You can try using that to log in but, honestly, I recommend that you not change any settings.

I think you should check your ISP's website for details on how to install your own Wi-Fi router.  This is probably a common situation so they should have something written up.  Or call them up.  Ask them if they can disable NAT so that you can install your router.  Otheriwse, ask them how to set up port forwarding on their 3630SM.

The last option is to reconfigure your R7000 to operate as an Access Point (AP), as I mentioned earlier.  This is done by going to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP and selecting Enable AP Mode.  Once in AP Mode, the R7000 may no longer respond to routerlogin.net, so be sure to make note of its IP address.  You will need it to log back into it.

Message 13 of 15
Zxfyr
Guide

According to my ISP I cannot port forward due to the Dynamic IP they give me. They are charging a $10 price for a static IP. Is this something that happens? Port Forwarding unavailable on a Dynamic IP?

Message 14 of 15
Zxfyr
Guide

It is now at Type 2 with this Static IP! Looks like that was the problem all along! Just a little more port forwarding should open it!

Thank you so much TheEther for all of your help and sorry for wasting your time. I suppose I should have asked my ISP about my problems first.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7