Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need Extender for Net Gear Nighthawk D7000

Kallippide
Guide

Need Extender for Net Gear Nighthawk D7000

I am looking for a Range Extender for my Night Hawk D7000. It is old, but I don't have any problems with using it in my 1200 sq ft home. However, I don't have a very good signal on my back porch if I want to use my iPad or Mac. I have an Xfinity Arris TM822G Modem. Normally, there might be one TV on. No gaming. I do have Alexa and Ring. 

Thank you for your expertise.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

In easy terms, it combines the router and extender SSID into one. It's great if you only need one extender. If you're needing more than 1 it's better to move to a full mesh system and not extender based one.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You didn't really give us much to go off for what you need. 

I'd recommend at least a dual band extender that matches your router. 

You can go go netgears extenders page and sort/filter what specs you'd like or need. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/range-extenders/

Message 2 of 8
Kallippide
Guide

Thank you for your reply. I’ll follow the link to see what is compatible with my D7000.
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

they should all be compatible. But its nice to have one that supports the same router specs. 

Mesh is also nice as then you don't have to manage seperate networks. 

(I'm also partial to tribands but they're a bit more expensive)

Message 4 of 8
Kallippide
Guide

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I think I need to read about “mesh” now because I keep seeing that on some of the different models of extenders.
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

In easy terms, it combines the router and extender SSID into one. It's great if you only need one extender. If you're needing more than 1 it's better to move to a full mesh system and not extender based one.
Message 6 of 8
Kallippide
Guide

Based on what I've read so far and what you said, I only need an extender and not a mesh one. I'm neither dealing with a large square footage area nor multiple computers, TVs, etc. all running at the same time. Thank you!

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Sounds like a good solution and wise choice to get what you need versus "the latest/greatest"

Hope it works well for you!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7