Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need Help Understanding what the Blinking LEDs mean in the bootloop (NETGEAR X6 R8000)

it_geek
Guide

Need Help Understanding what the Blinking LEDs mean in the bootloop (NETGEAR X6 R8000)

So, pursuant to this thread, I took a footage of the blinking LEDs on both of my NETGEAR routers.

Details of both routers, including their respective firmware versions are available in the thread link above.

I hope the video below will shed new light (pun not intended) on what is causing the bootloop, and how exactly to get out of it.

The video is as follows:

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
it_geek
Guide

Re: Need Help Understanding what the Blinking LEDs mean in the bootloop (NETGEAR X6 R8000)

So the USB-Serial cable arrived in my mailbox yesterday.

Got into the router via a terminal window (Mobaxterm), reflashed the firmware to a lower level (v1.04.28) and did an nvram erase. Seems there's a bug in the latest version (v 1.04.46) that causes the nvram to fill and not be able to clear it on its own.

Got both routers working in a normal state, although one of the routers keeps dumping

Magic bitmask 0x1985 (and other addresses) not found at 0x043a0010 (and other addresses): 0x4c18 (and other addresses) instead error, which lengthens the boot time.

Wireless performance has also dropped significantly but it's better than leaving it as a brick, i guess.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
it_geek
Guide

For reference, one of the routers starts to bootloop at the 1:30 mark.

Message 2 of 6
it_geek
Guide

So... no one can provide an explanation for these LEDs or has come across these LEDs before?

Would a USB to serial procedure/TTY with an erase NVRAM or firmware reflash "unbrick" the router(s)?

Message 3 of 6
it_geek
Guide

Bumping up this thread to see if anyone else has experienced a similar problem (with this pattern of lighting) and can provide an explanation as to why the router keeps rebooting like this.

Message 4 of 6
it_geek
Guide

Issue still remains unresolved. Continuing to look for answers on this forum.

My shipment on the Serial cable for this router has been stuck since end of February due to delays caused by COVID-19, would appreciate if anyone here has alternative solutions in the meantime.

Message 5 of 6
it_geek
Guide

So the USB-Serial cable arrived in my mailbox yesterday.

Got into the router via a terminal window (Mobaxterm), reflashed the firmware to a lower level (v1.04.28) and did an nvram erase. Seems there's a bug in the latest version (v 1.04.46) that causes the nvram to fill and not be able to clear it on its own.

Got both routers working in a normal state, although one of the routers keeps dumping

Magic bitmask 0x1985 (and other addresses) not found at 0x043a0010 (and other addresses): 0x4c18 (and other addresses) instead error, which lengthens the boot time.

Wireless performance has also dropped significantly but it's better than leaving it as a brick, i guess.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7