Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need help - had to use the reset button in the back

Godsdemon
Aspirant

Need help - had to use the reset button in the back

I had to use the reset button in the back last nite. Since I have done this 2 things have happened. I notice that my internet gaming seems to cycle in waves on any mmo experience that I can have every 3-4 mins it seems and my previous email and password were removed and it thinks I am going to rebuy my "armor" sub that I am no longer getting due to the reset button.

Who do I contact to get this lined out within the company ?

The Armor is paid for a year but under a different email- I notied this when I first signed up to the techs that helped me then with issues.

As for the cycling, I have unplugged and replugged so many times modem, router- unhook cable from back of router to modem, etc

It also seems like it is slightly out of sync since I had to hit the reset in the back. This was done because it wasn't acknowledging my passwords that I had written down.

The short term I would like to get the correct email thats paying for "armor" protection for the router (after all I did pay for it) then if any can offer any tips from there that would be fabulous.

godsdemon03@gmail.com

erick.bodkins@yahoo.com  

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 13

@Godsdemon wrote:

I had to use the reset button in the back last nite.

What prompted you to do that? I ask so that we can rule it out as the cause of what you see now? Was it just the "forgotten password" thing? If so, password for what?

@Godsdemon wrote:

I notice that my internet gaming seems to cycle in waves on any mmo experience that I can have every 3-4 mins it seems and my previous email and password were removed and it thinks I am going to rebuy my "armor" sub that I am no longer getting due to the reset button.

That's a long string of probably disconnected symptoms all jumbled up together.

What do you actually see when you are gaming?

As you have reset the router, you should take it through the set up process for a new device. That means restarting the network in the correct order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

You can see the details if you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

@Godsdemon wrote:

Who do I contact to get this lined out within the company ?

When it comes to Armor, start here:

NETGEAR Armor - NETGEAR Communities

When it comes to fixing problems on the router, what firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

Apologies for all the questions. But you can help people to help you by providing the information suggested in this forum's header:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

They are there for a good reason.

Message 2 of 13
Godsdemon03
Tutor

I seemed to have forgot the password and my verification secret words weren't working for me either. I had to do the hard reset. I seem to have 2 different accounts on here. When I set this up I must have had alot of lag/issues or this website is confusing to navigate so in frustration made a second account/pw. 

I had the typical stock admin/password but had put in 2 additional secret questions that weren't working. The only reason I messed with any of this is my kid is a spoiled brat and wanted to have his LED lights that plug in with an ethernet cord and I shut them off with the app. The wife sent him to me to get them back on the system and I ran into all kinds of issues to make it happen. Hard Reset was my only way out but with complications.

I called the cable company and had them sent a hard rest to my modem today and will be able to check on how "good" it fixed me.

The modem is a Netgear CM 1000v2.

I thought the router was listed in the bottom of my email sig.

Netgear AC2300 R7000P

Firmware V: v1.3.1.64

Message 3 of 13

@Godsdemon03 wrote:

The modem is a Netgear CM 1000v2.

I thought the router was listed in the bottom of my email sig.

Netgear AC2300 R7000P

Firmware V: v1.3.1.64

I asked about the modem and firmware, not the router. But we now have all the details.

Your firmware on the R7000P is a couple of versions out of date. It might be worth updating that while you are messing around.

The good news is that the modem is a modem-only box, no router bit to get in the way.

You should still take the network through the recommended startup regime (see above).

@Godsdemon03 wrote:

I seemed to have forgot the password and my verification secret words weren't working for me either. I had to do the hard reset. I seem to have 2 different accounts on here.

Netgear likes to make life interesting with lots of passwords. The passwords for your router have nothing to do with the passwords you use here. On the router there is just the password for the GUI and the different passwords for the wifi. This place can be  completely separate. It is for me.

Fingers crossed that the modem rest fixed things.

Message 4 of 13
Godsdemon03
Tutor

I have tried the self update and it wouldn't update. It might be worth looking into on your end to fix. I can try to update the firmware but I'm hesitant too because I don't want to make it a paper weight if I fail.

I still need to get my armor sync'd to the other email . I don't need to pay for armor 2x

Do you have a link for the firmware?
Message 5 of 13

@Godsdemon03 wrote:
I have tried the self update and it wouldn't update. It might be worth looking into on your end to fix.

Your end? I have no idea what that means.

I always update manually:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I do it using an Ethernet connection from my PC. That is safer than relying an an automated process that might crash mid update, especially on a wifi connection.

I have already provided you with a link to the Armor section.

I tried Armor once in a beta test, but don't feel the need to pay for anything like that, so I have no idea how it works for paying customers.

Message 6 of 13
Godsdemon03
Tutor

I am hardwired. Hopefully that will help.

Message 7 of 13
Godsdemon
Aspirant

Minor success! I updated the firmware- however my issue hasn't gone away. That would have been sweet if that would have fixed it. I will go thru the whole reboot sequence tomorrow and the cable company will be out on wednesday.

Message 8 of 13
Godsdemon
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Godsdemon03 wrote:
I have tried the self update and it wouldn't update. It might be worth looking into on your end to fix.

I was referring to the router actually auto updating (thus your end to make sure it does it if you work for netgear) instead of manually doing it with the risk of making it a toaster or a very expensive paper weight. 
When I read it I felt it made sense but from your perspective I wasn't descriptive enough.

Your end? I have no idea what that means.

I always update manually:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I do it using an Ethernet connection from my PC. That is safer than relying an an automated process that might crash mid update, especially on a wifi connection.

I have already provided you with a link to the Armor section.

I tried Armor once in a beta test, but don't feel the need to pay for anything like that, so I have no idea how it works for paying customers.

Message 9 of 13
Godsdemon
Aspirant

No luck. ISP said they are fine coming into the house. Which makes me believe that the hard reset fried my router. 

My plan is buy another and drop it in or go thru customer support.

A couple questions before I buy a new one.

Will my armor protection be able to be carried over ?

What is the cost for customer support to have them diagnose the current model?

Message 10 of 13
Godsdemon03
Tutor

I did a tracert today- here is what I found:

Does this prove that the modem isn't flaking out and that its my ISP ?

Message 11 of 13
Godsdemon03
Tutor

This is the server I am trying to reach- I was given the other server but this was verified on the Dark Age of Camelot servers.

Message 12 of 13

@Godsdemon wrote:

Which makes me believe that the hard reset fried my router. 

Fried isn't a technical description, but it usually means permanent physical damage. As in "a lightning strike fried my modem".

A factory reset is unlikely to do that. Actually, I'd say it is impossible.

As it is, I am now getting lost in what is going on here.

You have a problem on one gaming site. What about everything else you do?

You are using Armor. Did you get your subscription fixed? What happens if you disable Armor?

None of your problems suggests an issue with your router.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7