Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need help setting up time machine

MattyCakes
Aspirant

Need help setting up time machine

Hello netgear community.  I am having a hard time setting up a time machine backup to a usb 3.0 drive (no external power) connected to my nighthawk wifi router.  I have been through countless tutorials and discussion boards. I have tried both smb and afs connections (with some people mentioning afs is the correct connection and others smb.)  I am using Mojave, 10.14.6 and as far as I know, the router has the latest firmware installed (V1.4.1.42_1.3.4).

Here's what I can do.  The drive can be mounted via readyshare->T_Drive and I am able to copy files back and forth between my mac and the usb drive (T_Drive) connected to the router.  

What I can't do is set up a time machine backup as the drive is not "visible" to the time machine control panel (that is to say when I choose "select disk", the drive cannot be seen and therefore I can't set up time machine backups.)  

One person suggested direct connecting to the mac and performing the first backup to the drive the normal way.  Unfortunatley the drive is still invisible to time machine.

Any help getting this set up would be greatly appreciated!

-Matt

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Matt 

You will need to roll back the firmware as the latest firmware has removed this feature.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NEW-R8000P-R7900P-FW-Version-1-4-1-42/m-p/17...

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Matt 

You will need to roll back the firmware as the latest firmware has removed this feature.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NEW-R8000P-R7900P-FW-Version-1-4-1-42/m-p/17...

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
MattyCakes
Aspirant

Yes, this did work.  Makes me wonder why netgear would drop this feature.  The other worry is that if some critical security updates happen, I am going to have to upgrade and lose time machine.

Message 3 of 7
Tom54
Aspirant

I was also caught offguard with the loss of Time Machine capability when updating firmware.  Can you point me to how to roll back to the previous version?  Thank you.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 7
myersw
Master

Ah yes. You need to run out of date firmware with maybe security issues, just to have time machine.

What garbage is this anyway, Netgear?

Message 5 of 7
myersw
Master

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello Matt 

DarrenM

@DarrenM 

Is anyone minding the inmates any more? Downgrade to retain features is not a good answer. Maybe Netgear needs to think about two tracks. One the traditional folks just wanting updates and the other track for the Armor folks?

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@myersw wrote:

Ah yes. You need to run out of date firmware with maybe security issues, just to have time machine.What garbage is this anyway, Netgear?

You should ask @AbhayB ...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7