Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NetGear Nighthawk R7000

StellaMan
Aspirant

NetGear Nighthawk R7000

I have had my BT Router replaced 3 times over the 5 or 6 years (on and off) that I’ve used them as my ISP, their Customer support is brilliant, but it seems their Hardware cannot live up to their humans !!!

My latest problem was that everything (3 Smart TVs, 2 Google Hubs, 4-7 iPhones, various Laptops, Tablets & iPads, Games Consoles but only 1 at a time … obviously this is never ALL on at the SAME time !!!) was randomly telling me that it was connected, but not to the Internet, which is an absolute joke for someone like me who is working with repairing and upgrading laptops and PCs on a daily basis !!!

I bit the bullet at the weekend and took out the BT Router, replacing it with a Draytek Vigor 130 Router and a NetGear Nighthawk R7000 that I bought 3 years back but that I could never get to work with my Vodafone ISP whilst we were on a break from BT. All Firmware is up to date but I am still having problems. Every now and again the WiFi just drops for 5 minutes, then all goes back to normal, though when it works it does seem to be stronger upstairs which is one of the problems I was addressing.

I obviously have advanced Browser access to the Modem & the Router and I have a basic understanding of these things, but are there settings I can check, or should be adjusting to make this just WORK PROPERLY … that’s all I want ?!?!? Is it possible that it’s the basic speed to my house that’s the problem ? The BT Speed Test won’t work unless it’s their own Router being used, but Ookla tells me I have about 16Mbps coming into the house and whilst I know that’s not fantastic these days (we’re apparently at the end of the line and BT say this is the best they can provide !!!) surely my WiFi should work adequately whilst my wife is watching Netflix, my daughter is watching too upstairs & my son is on his PS4, but I can’t get a strong enough signal to drive an Amazon Firestick ?!?

Can anybody help or do I go back to BT for yet another investigation ?!?!?!?!?

Message 1 of 2

Re: NetGear Nighthawk R7000

This is all a bit confusing because you are using the wrong words to describe things.

@StellaMan wrote:

I bit the bullet at the weekend and took out the BT Router, replacing it with a Draytek Vigor 130 Router

The Draytek is a modem. Nothing router about it.

Vigor 130 VDSL & ADSL2+ Modem

I suggest starting from scratch. Visit the support pages for your R7000, which really is a router:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

BT's devices are usually modem/routers. So your experience with that will be very different.

@StellaMan wrote:

The BT Speed Test won’t work unless it’s their own Router being used...

I don't know what that means. I run BT's diagnostic here just fine and I have never been near a BT modem/router. Mine is still in the shrinkwrap.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7