Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear Illegal Warranty practices?

Bigos
Star

Netgear Illegal Warranty practices?

Bought a nighthawk router few months ago and it was fine.  Then suddenly at 3:49 PM everyday it disconnects me for 3 seconds.  The router doesn't reboot or anything there's just interruption in my internet for 3-5 seconds.  Filled out a Ticket on their website for a repair.  Was given a case # and when I called i was getting baited into buying an extended warranty plan.  I told the guy that this router is covered under a 12 month warranty which I still have 6 months on.  I should NOTbe paying extra for any technical support.  After 1 year, yeah sure fine... but not while I'm within the 12 month warranty period.  Just RMA me a replacement router and we'll see if the problem will still be there..  They want you to pay for a warranty, which by law, every new item in US comes with for 1 year. So they are selling you a 3 month warranty and not a 1 year warranty thus breaking some sort of commerce law, I'm almost certain.

Has anyone tried to file a complaint against netgear with the FTC, the state dept or Attorney General? Or are there any pending class action litigations against Netgear misleading warranty practices?  This is a pretty big scam by a corporation!  I'm surprised no one looked into this.  This is class action lawsuit worthy.  So many people are probably getting taken for a ride.  I'm actually going to look into this from a legal standpoint just because i feel cheated.

Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

So lets try to trouble shoot this and see weather this is a HW failure or something else. 

What model NH router do you have? R####

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any LED inidications on when this happens? 

What other troubleshooting steps have you taken?

You can contact a forum moderator to help you out with warranty issues:

@DarrenM 

Message 2 of 19
Bigos
Star

Heya.. This is a Nighthawk Router AX 1800 R6700 AX wifi router and it has the latest firmware on it which is Firmware Version V1.0.3.9.  MY PC is connected via Ethernet cable.  I had the router for about 6 months but ever since the Spectrum technician stopped by to reconnect my existing Coax cable outside, i've been having this issue.  All I did so far was a factory setting reset on the router.  The problem is still there.  At exactly 3:49 PM it drops internet for 3-4 seconds.  All lights stay up.  Neither the modem nor the router reboot when this happens. 

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

"I had the router for about 6 months but ever since the Spectrum technician stopped by to reconnect my existing Coax cable outside, i've been having this issue." So the router was working BEFORE the ISP tech appeared? If so then this maybe NOT a NG issue. Routers can be effected by ISP modems...

Message 4 of 19
Bigos
Star

The router worked before the Spectrum Technie appeared. It still works 99.9% of the time except everyday at 3:49 it drops 3-5 seconds. This has been happening for about a month now. I'll try to connect the ethernet directly to the modem tomorrow and bypass the router to see if it's a router or a modem issue but my guess is the router..... What are some basic trouble shooting steps i can take to try to isolate the problem.  Should I reset my network adapter settings in windows?  Or reset the modem to factory settings also?  as well as the router again?

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 19
plemans
Guru

They offer 3 months of free support and 1 year on hardware. If the device boots up and runs (even if it crashes later) doesn't mean the hardware is bad. It just means a setting or firmware could be corrupt. Or it could be a user error. If you're after that 90 days, my understanding is they'll refund you on the "extended support" if it truly is a hardware problem. but if its a firmware/user issue, it does cost $. And if you're after that 90 days, you have to pay it upfront because how many people would call for support and pay afterwards if it turned out to be a user issue? Pretty sure they'd just hang up. 

Thats why they offer the community support forum. so you can do a little troubleshooting to determine if its actually a hardware issue of if its a software/user issue. 

I would advise against threats of legal/class action. Its against the terms of service and put your post at risk of being deleted.

Or ignored since the community is members of the public helping out in our spare time. And we don't want to be involved in any legal issues either. 

As @FURRYe38 says, we're willing to help. but details help the most. (while i was typing this, you and furrye38 have been discussing)

Message 7 of 19
Bigos
Star

So i have a 1 year warranty without technical support?  Is that even a warranty then?  No it isn't!  95% or more of companies that do business in US offer 1 year standard manufacturer warranty with support.  Support shouldn't even be used separately from warranty here as the 2 are part of the greater whole and should be provided by the company.  If a product malfunctions within a period of 12 months (1 year) it falls on the company to diagnose the issue and trouble shoot it, not the customer.  The company made the product.  Customer paid for it...  A fefund or Replacement should be issued.  A company should never rely on the clueless customer (which most people are) to diagnose issues with their equipment before it can deem them faulty/broken and replace it...  They can sell you extended warranties after the 1 year has expired but none of this garbo they try to upsell you when you call them within your coverage period. 

No company in their right mind would want the customer to trouble shoot their issues.  I don't take my car to a mechanic to fix my car myself.. I rely on the mechanic or the dealer or the manufacturer of the vechile to fix the car for me

Message 8 of 19
Bigos
Star

Furry.. When I go to system diagnostics in windows I cannot see the modem info.  I also cannot login to my Spectrum router for some reason. I called Spectrum and they told me they dont see a problem on their end and that everything is fine.  They told me that I am on the latest firmware and am using their latest Hitron Modem which uses DOCS 3.1. There are no current signal issues.  For some reason i can't connect directly to the modem though.  I even tried unplugging the router and directly connecting PC to MODEM.  Still couldn't connect.  Weird stuff..  Spectrum is sending a Technician over tomorrow so i'll see what's happens

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? There any markings on the case? 

If the modem has a built in router, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 10 of 19
Bigos
Star

Furry.. I'm 99.9 sure the modem doesn't have a built in router.  I had a a separate wifi router 2 yrs ago from Spectrum but replaced it with this Netgear to avoid the $5 spectrum fee.  Everything worked.. It works.. The router only drops me at 3:49 PM for 3 seconds.  The Modem is a Hitron E31N2V1.  The instruction manual says nothing about a built in router..  I can't seem to connect to the modem, only to the router.

Message 11 of 19

@Bigos wrote:

Furry.. I'm 99.9 sure the modem doesn't have a built in router. 

I wouldn't be so sure. This looks like a strange device.

@Bigos wrote:

The Modem is a Hitron E31N2V1.  The instruction manual says nothing about a built in router.. 

I don't know what you are reading, but looking at this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjbwcmgu_fyAhWQiVwKHb0sCzsQ...

I see a strange diagram that includes a wiring layout that looks nothing like anything I have ever see for a modem-only box.

It also says:

"Your E31N2V1 is a DOCSIS cable modem, router and embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter (eMTA) that allows you to connect your cabled Ethernet and analog telephones to one another and to the Internet via your building’s cable connection."

With luck, @FURRYe38 understand what that thing really is. It is beyond me.

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, we didn't know until you gave us the brand and model # of the modem. Its only a modem. No router built in. 

To connect a wired PC to the modem, turn OFF the modem, connect the PC to the modem, turn ON the modem. PC should get internet services after the modem is ready.

Let us know how it went with the ISP tech. 

@Bigos wrote:

Furry.. I'm 99.9 sure the modem doesn't have a built in router.  I had a a separate wifi router 2 yrs ago from Spectrum but replaced it with this Netgear to avoid the $5 spectrum fee.  Everything worked.. It works.. The router only drops me at 3:49 PM for 3 seconds.  The Modem is a Hitron E31N2V1.  The instruction manual says nothing about a built in router..  I can't seem to connect to the modem, only to the router.

Message 13 of 19

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK, we didn't know until you gave us the brand and model # of the modem. Its only a modem. No router built in. 

Is that really your reading of the manual?

It baffles me when it describes the thing as a "DOCSIS cable modem, router and embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter".

Or am I looking at the wrong manual?

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Maybe a incorrect typo on that manual. These models don't have a built in router. Also an indication of no router is only 1 RJ45 port in back. Generally, most gateway modems with built in routers have 4 LAN ports in back. These modems are ok but no great modems. Smiley Embarassed

Message 15 of 19

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Maybe a incorrect typo on that manual.

I thought Netgear had a copyright on that trick.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Generally, most gateway modems with built in routers have 4 LAN ports in back.

Not, alas, a reliable indicator.

Look at Netgear's DM200. I own two. I am not the only user who has been fooled by the defaut setting, with the router bit enabled.

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 17 of 19
Bigos
Star

Just want to update you guys on the Router situation.  I tried a lot of suggestions from here and off the internet... Resetting my equipment to factory settings, and my Nic cards etc..   Nothing worked.  Last week I ordered an ASUS router.  It just came in 2 hours ago. Hooked it up and VIOLLA!. Problem SOLVED!  No more disconnects at 3:49 PM.  Turns out it was a netgear router that was giving me the issue.  Netgear wanted to charge me $89 (more than the router is worth now) to troubleshoot.  Luckily Amazon is great and even though I purchased the router 8 months ago, they'll issue me a refund.

Thanks for your help Furry and the rest of the gang.  Peace fellaz!

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry the NG didn't work out. 

Enjoy the Asus. 

Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos