Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk 6700v3 Internet continues to cut out randomly on devices

ackron16
Tutor

Netgear Nighthawk 6700v3 Internet continues to cut out randomly on devices

Hi! Currently we're running into an issue where it seems our router is causing our devices to randomly disconnect or barely get any type of internet speed. We have our speeds were, on average, between 800-900mbps but now suddenly drop to 80 mbps or just straight disconnect.  It's already happened on both sets of wi-fi (the 5ghz and 2.4ghz), as well as the direct connection devices we have.  I'm also currently on Firmware Version V1.0.4.128_10.0.104. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk 6700v3 Internet continues to cut out randomly on devices

Thats a new firmware in the last couple days. Have you tried a factory reset/reinstall? 

If not, start there. 

If you have, try downgrading the firmware. 

During the install, make sure to leave qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls disabled. 

(pretty sure the 800+ speeds were wired as you won't hit that over wireless on that router) 

Message 2 of 8
ackron16
Tutor

Thank you for the help @plemans !

Thats a new firmware in the last couple days. Have you tried a factory reset/reinstall? 

I have, that was actually how I got it to originally work.  I needed to factory reset it to even get into the set up page.

If you have, try downgrading the firmware. 

How would I go about do that? I'm willing to try anything at this point.  Also all those settings that you listed are currently disabled. (You're correct about the 800+ speeds, there were on the wired test)

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Downgrading the firmware is pretty simple. 

You download it from the support site. Under downloads---->view previous versions

Then extract that file. 

then follow the manual update process (from the manual) and instead of using the newer firmware, use the older firmware. 

After it reboots, I recommend factory resetting it. Anytime you downgrade firmware, thats a step I'd recommend. 

the 80mbps is the max you can expect from 2.4ghz but the 5ghz should be faster if you're getting faster wired speeds. 

You can try disabling smart connect so you can control if you're connected to the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz. 

Message 4 of 8
ackron16
Tutor

Thank you so much! I'll try it tonight and let you know if it improves the quality tomorrow. 

As for the smart control feature, is that the SSID broadcast option on both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz wifi's? When I shut that off, it says i'll lose WPS on both.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Smart connect is the feature that combines the 2.4ghz and 5ghz ssid broadcast into one broadcast. And it lets devices bandsteer between each band as needed. When its enabled, its a little harder to test each band. When you disable it, it makes it easier to test each as they show up as separate networks. 

Message 6 of 8
ackron16
Tutor

Hi @plemans , so I did everything you suggested and I'm still getting throttled speed. Direct connection and wifi are all below what we're paying for. Is there anything else I can do?

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

What speeds are you getting ?

Wired:

Wireless 2.4gh:

wireless 5gh:

What firmware did you install?

You made sure not to use any backups? 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors